Epitaph represses-HotTopic exclusives-NOFX/BadRelig/Souls/Rancid/Millencolin/Descendents/MotionCity

travis

This is true, but with two /800 variants of each record (for example, indie red and HT clear for Ribbed), that is 1,600 more copies in circulation for a niche market that basically consists of variant collectors, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't have any issue with their exclusive variants of Millencolin or Pennywise, or whatever. It's cool that they're selling those directly from KRM for less than what a Hot Topic exclusive would cost you. But to look at this from Epitaph/KRM's perspective (which is, "Give me all your fucking money please"), it makes more sense - in my opinion - to do a KRM exclusive color for these NOFX records in the next wave of represses, be that next year, the year after, whenever.

"No one is obligated to buy every single color that comes out of a record."

This is true, of course. But Epitaph and KRM know - it's as easy as an eBay search for any of these limited variants - that people will.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you or anything, I'm just presenting my opinion.

Labels exist to put out music and make money doing it. They are a business at the end of the day. Labels should keep their releases in print if there's demand for them. I have no idea why anyone would ever have a problem with a label keeping their releases in print on vinyl (even if they keep pressing the same record on different colors). If you already have a copy then cool and if you dont have it and want one then you can go get it on a cool color of vinyl. Believe it or not, even after this whole pressing of NOFX vinyl is sold out there will still be people in this world who don't own it and will want it. I just dont understand how it effects anyone in any way if they think the market is "flooded" with a certain album on vinyl.

If someone absolutely must buy every variant of a NOFX or Bad Religion or whatever record then that really isn't something a label should be worried about. If people want to keep buying the same record over and over then they can do that but it shouldnt be up to the label to stop producing vinyl because some collectors can't afford to buy Ribbed on a new color.

I'm not saying people who buy 1 copy of something are wrong or that people who buy every variant of a record are wrong, thats totally up to the person how they want spend their own money.

I'm not trying to pick a fight either, just having a conversation :)

Labels exist to put out music and make money doing it. They are a business at the end of the day. Labels should keep their releases in print if there's demand for them. I have no idea why anyone would ever have a problem with a label keeping their releases in print on vinyl (even if they keep pressing the same record on different colors). If you already have a copy then cool and if you dont have it and want one then you can go get it on a cool color of vinyl. Believe it or not, even after this whole pressing of NOFX vinyl is sold out there will still be people in this world who don't own it and will want it. I just dont understand how it effects anyone in any way if they think the market is "flooded" with a certain album on vinyl.

If someone absolutely must buy every variant of a NOFX or Bad Religion or whatever record then that really isn't something a label should be worried about. If people want to keep buying the same record over and over then they can do that but it shouldnt be up to the label to stop producing vinyl because some collectors can't afford to buy Ribbed on a new color.

I'm not saying people who buy 1 copy of something are wrong or that people who buy every variant of a record are wrong, thats totally up to the person how they want spend their own money.

I still don't know why some people are not getting this. 

5 of my records from kings road turned up today but my copy of life on a plate is warped too....

Thanks everyone for their feedback.  I called KingsRoad multiple times today, but kept getting voicemail.  I submitted the online form reporting the problem.  We'll see what happens. 

What sucks is they are sold out of Life on a Plate... I'm not sure if I'd rather get a refund or try to mess with the copy that I got if they can't scrounge up a spare.   Thinking about putting that bitch in the oven since I've had success in the past.  

It's just a tease...the first half plays fine, but when it gets to the inner grooves, my stylus literally jumps off the record from the warp.  I've set it to the highest VTF that my cartridge allows, but no go. 

I don't think that they're flooding the market - I didn't mean for it to seem like I have a problem with more colors being pressed. My opinion is that it would be better for them to wait for the next repress to include their own variant. Sure, they can do as many colors as they want, exclusive to however many dealers they want, with each run, but I think it makes more sense for KRM, specifically, to hold off until next time for their own exclusive (if they decide to do one).

My thinking is that more people will buy the two colors this time (indie stores/HT exclusives) and a KRM exclusive next year, along with whatever else they do, than people would buy three different presses this time. It's like, "sure, they could make more money here, or they could make even more money next time."

That being said, I would imagine most variant collectors have considerably more disposable income than I do. Additionally, you would know a lot more about this whole process than me, so I think your opinion probably has more merit than mine.  :P

Keeping stuff in print is good. No one is obligated to buy every single color that comes out of a record.

It's not like they cant repress other stuff as well just cause they are repressing NOFX and BR for the 10th, 11th, 12th time....

Some collectors (like me) can’t help themselves though! I love collecting variants of bands I love.

It’s good that they’re doing represses, I just thought they would have done some other records that haven’t been repressed recently. I’m sure Epitaph and KRM have lots more in store for us all.

Also I agree it’s great for new collectors who don’t have these records.

Amazing how freaking good Bad Religion "No Control" is. It's one album I've been listening to since I was 14 and over 20 years later it still kills start to finish. Might need a new copy honestly.:

PM me if you want my blue HT copy! Picked it up, spun it once, wasn't really into it as much as I remembered. I'd rather it go to a fan than my local brick and mortar.