Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Starting to lose track of what has gotten mentioned, but I don't think this band has been brought up yet. Just checked them out after seeing them get love on Arctic Drones.

Really damn good album after only listening through it once. Very crescendo-driven, but they do an excellent job of keeping your interest throughout the entire song. Heavy yet beautiful, with a song that even sounded like a post-rock mid-90s Radiohead song.

Oh Hiroshima - In Silence We Yearn

"Ruach" & "Drones" are #thejamz.

I can't stop listening to this album. Every song is great. Hope someday it gets vinyl treatment!

DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

Okay, please listen to this song, guys.

It's by a band called We.Own.The.Sky and it's called "Raindrops and Oceans"

The early part of the track recalls the lower-register darker grooves of Jakob, and some of the later guitar work recalls a bit of ITTCT use of delay rhythms, but man... the middle build bridge of this song is just to die for.

The pay off riff isn't totally what I was hoping for, but holy good lord, those chill grooves are so delicious.

Check it out, guys

Here's another new discovery for me last night that I'm really digging.

Leech

https://leechofficial.bandcamp.com/album/if-we-get-there-one-day-would-you-please-open-the-gates

My favorite track is "October" and the band still has some nice looking vinyl available for a good price.

Will probably pick this up

Discovered this band about a year ago. I remember liking what I heard but it never stuck with me. Will probably have to give it another go.

Here's another new discovery for me last night that I'm really digging.

Leech

https://leechofficial.bandcamp.com/album/if-we-get-there-one-day-would-you-please-open-the-gates

My favorite track is "October" and the band still has some nice looking vinyl available for a good price.

Will probably pick this up

They were earlier pretty much new prog and then converted over to proggy-postrock on the latest (October is probably my favorite track too but I remember someone liking Amazing Hog, ?Evan, it's in a PM somewhere).

"A Stolen View" is my favorite, and their Long Distance Calling Split/Collab or whatever is good too iirc. "The Man With The Hammer" - well named track.

I remember snagging a CD sealed of Zerotinine Days, more as a collectible thinking I had gotten an import for a steal, since it was in a dollar bin (around 2010).  

I have all their stuff on mp3 and don't even know if they have vinyl.

But more German postrock, Never can be too much, since several of my faves disbanded.

Can someone recommend me some albums that would be along the lines of Gregor Samsa - Rest and 55:12?  Would love to find some more stuff like that.

You probably already know Ef (Sweden), their first two are more slowcore to my ears with the male/female vocals - but I really like Mourning Golden Morning when it picks up on the back side.

Kwoon (France) also has some slowcore stuff from a while back, but they are on indefinite hiatus per twitter from last year. My favorite track of theirs is not slowcore like Gregor Samsa, and it's one of those that just cuts off like Waking Season, and you think the download messed up or something and didn't get it all. Think I tried 3 times before I realized it was another one of those abrupt endings, Evpatoria Report has one, too. The song you have to listen to is an anagram: "Ayron Norya"  So good.

Other than those I can't really think of any postrock in the slowcore family, ...and we are diverging from the thread because there are VOCALS!!!

You probably already know Ef (Sweden), their first two are more slowcore to my ears with the male/female vocals - but I really like Mourning Golden Morning when it picks up on the back side.

Kwoon (France) also has some slowcore stuff from a while back, but they are on indefinite hiatus per twitter from last year. My favorite track of theirs is not slowcore like Gregor Samsa, and it's one of those that just cuts off like Waking Season, and you think the download messed up or something and didn't get it all. Think I tried 3 times before I realized it was another one of those abrupt endings, Evpatoria Report has one, too. The song you have to listen to is an anagram: "Ayron Norya" So good.

Other than those I can't really think of any postrock in the slowcore family, ...and we are diverging from the thread because there are VOCALS!!!

Ef is so 'ef'fing good.

They were earlier pretty much new prog and then converted over to proggy-postrock on the latest (October is probably my favorite track too but I remember someone liking Amazing Hog, ?Evan, it's in a PM somewhere).

"A Stolen View" is my favorite, and their Long Distance Calling Split/Collab or whatever is good too iirc. "The Man With The Hammer" - well named track.

I remember snagging a CD sealed of Zerotinine Days, more as a collectible thinking I had gotten an import for a steal, since it was in a dollar bin (around 2010).  

I have all their stuff on mp3 and don't even know if they have vinyl.

But more German postrock, Never can be too much, since several of my faves disbanded.

Yeah, Amazing Hog was my jam.  I've listened to them off and on for a few years.  Some tracks that slay, some that are just flat out boring as hell.  Overall, they suffer from some of the issues that Sleepmakewaves & Wess Meets West have suffered from in the past.  Songs that drag on for far too long.  Luckily both of the latter bands mentioned have remedied that with their latest outputs.  If Leech can solve that problem, then they'll be a force.  

Today's finally the day aaaaaaaaa. I know I already gave you guys a download link to the new album but, it's finally live on bandcamp if you're into it enough to want to buy it or whatever. In the event you haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, you can do it there or on the full album video I threw up on youtube!

https://asseasexhale.bandcamp.com/album/voyager

If you like it do me a solid and tell your friends to check it out! If you don't, tell people you hate with lots of money to get it so I can save up to get my car fixed faster haha. xoxo

Starting to lose track of what has gotten mentioned, but I don't think this band has been brought up yet.  Just checked them out after seeing them get love on Arctic Drones.

Really damn good album after only listening through it once.  Very crescendo-driven, but they do an excellent job of keeping your interest throughout the entire song.  Heavy yet beautiful, with a song that even sounded like a post-rock mid-90s Radiohead song.

Oh Hiroshima - In Silence We Yearn

"Ruach" & "Drones" are #thejamz.  

gotta love those VOCALS ;) Seriously, they are v. good and for some reason I kept wanting this to be Blueneck vocalist. I know that is sacrilege to some, including my daughter, they just haven't clicked enough to pull the vinyl trigger, though was close with Robotic Empire had them for 9.99 on Cyber Monday. They got snapped up rather quickly.

This is a really nice album and I enjoyed Aria the most but the whole thing is solid. Go Sweden!

gotta love those VOCALS ;) Seriously, they are v. good and for some reason I kept wanting this to be Blueneck vocalist. I know that is sacrilege to some, including my daughter, they just haven't clicked enough to pull the vinyl trigger, though was close with Robotic Empire had them for 9.99 on Cyber Monday. They got snapped up rather quickly.

This is a really nice album and I enjoyed Aria the most but the whole thing is solid. Go Sweden!

Yeah I really dig this vocalist, too.  I think he perfectly sets the mood of each song.  Kind of a raspy whisper that is there when it needs to be and not there when it shouldn't be.  This has turned into one of those albums where each time through I pick a new song as my favorite.

I've only given Kokomo one casual listen in my life. Didn't grab me right away but I'll revisit.

I did just drop some fat coin on the new Obsidian Kingdom PO. Unsure if anyone's listened to them, but their first album "Mantis" was this epic post-metal/black metal opera-esque album. I haven't brought them up here because there are a bunch of vocals (clean & screams/growls), but those into heavier post-metal stuff should check them out.

obsidiankingdom.bandcamp.com

• jhulud locked this topic