Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

That's a damn good list, Don.

Thanks Matt. I had to hammer it out from that perspective, hoping it leads the virtual listener down paths to discovering even better jamz per their likes, kind of the way we all did it at first on our own and then through websites, message boards, PMs, communities and here.

PS:  I still air guitar to the outro riff in ITTCT: S/T - Malabar Front, Daturah: Reverie - Vertex (midsection 1st climax), and many others not on 'the list'. Our oldest son and I learned to play the two guitar parts of Cherry off GFE's A Health Fear 2 summers ago (took me about 2 weeks to figure my part out after getting the right tuning).  You notice GFE isn't even on my list yet I have their complete catalog including TPs. Such is the nature of the beast.  And I still protest Sigur Ros not being allowed  :P  Three of the top 5 artists have albums with vocals.

yeah haha thanks. I posted a picture on the previous page of my current pedalboard setup but there's a little more to it. the sound at the beginning is in two parts. first part is a shitload of stacked effects; signal through timeline delay > bigsky reverb > nano holy grail reverb > corona chorus > arena reverb > flashback delay > line in to my pc. from there i throw it in fl studio and do amp modeling and the wash effect is another delay set to “clearer echoes” sandwiched between 2 more reverbs 100% wet signal with no dry. those last three effects are just to make sure there's as little pick attack as possible so its just an organic drone/wash, I use that a lot.

the second part is a copy of that recorded signal run through a free plugin from Tweakbench called Grumblebum that uses incoming audio to drive it's own synth, kinda like a modulating vocoder I guess? that signal is EQ'd to remove a lot of high end noise and more reverb added with no dry signal since it gets pretty distorted and i wanted it to sit back in the mix. if you wanna know what it sounds like without being dumbed down, look up “as seas exhale - southerly signals” on youtube, the beginning of that is the same effect but I left it as is because I liked the sound I'd found. the sound at the beginning of this is both of the aforementioned parts playing together.

sorry for the huge post but hey, you did say you wanted to know everything haha

Fuck yeah dude, that's exactly what I was looking to hear.

We can continue this in PM's because I don't want to clog the board with gear talk.

Checking more of your stuff out now.

Anybody have any more lines on these Solace represses?!

Also, I got a copy of "Storm Static Sleep" for Christmas. Anybody else pick up/receive a copy of that book?

It's pretty interesting/good so far, but the dude really gets into the post-rock mindset with the way he phrases things.

I think the dude is younger than most of us who wrote it, because he talks about "Backlit" being the first Isis song he ever heard. And he writes... kind of like I do. Big long sentences, cloaking the imagery in effervescent panoramas of analogies, conjuring up the mental gymnastics one would attribute to an endless signal-chain of delay pedals and reverb, echoing off the canyon walls as the repeats glisten sharply against the noir backdrop of the loneliness of the silence spaces of post-rock.

...or something like that. Haha. Good read though, very informative.

While y'all are putting in a lot of effort to get people pumped about this genre, why not make a mix tape of sorts? Pick your favorite song(s) to throw together to get a noob interested. Something like an elevator talk, if you had 5 minutes to get someone hooked, what do you play them? Compile everyones answer as a spotify or youtube list and post that shit everywhere. I can see it now "Mutually agreed on by the post-rock masters to get YOU into it" (no sarcasm intended) with the uncle sam type of imagery trying to recruit you for the army.  So instead of someone having to do the work to find bands or taking stabs on bandcamp, one click would lead to the beginners guide. It would be like a primer, setting you up for life.

I think the voting's gonna close on the Guide tomorrow sometime. A week is plenty of time to get your picks straightened out, so anybody on the fence, now's your time.

EDIT: Also, I just placed an order on Amazon for Beware of Safety - Dogs. For $19, it said they had one left in stock, 2xLP, brand new. We'll see what happens.

I think the voting's gonna close on the Guide tomorrow sometime. A week is plenty of time to get your picks straightened out, so anybody on the fence, now's your time.

EDIT: Also, I just placed an order on Amazon for Beware of Safety - Dogs. For $19, it said they had one left in stock, 2xLP, brand new. We'll see what happens.

Hope that Amazon order goes through!

Anyone here have great Shazam skills? I have some (instrumental, postrock) tracks by "Unknown Artist".  My oldest is home for the holidays and his version of Shazam could recognize alot of instrumental postrock, new and old, and some by surprisingly small bands, but no luck on this one. Curiosity is starting to get to me.  It may be something the community knows here as well.

// TOP 15 POST-ROCK ALBUMS //

1. Caspian : Tertia // 2009

2. pg.lost : Key // 2012

3. Gifts From Enola : From Fathoms // 2009

4. If These Trees Could Talk: Above The Earth, Below The Sky // 2009

5. This Will Destroy You : Young Mountain // 2006

6. Kokomo : Kokomo // 2013

7. Slint : Spiderland // 1991

8. té : ゆえに、密度の幻想は綻び、蹌踉めく世界は明日を『忘却』す。(Thus, the Illusion of Density Comes Apart at the Seems) // 2012

9. Year Of No Light : Nord // 2006

10. Toe : The Book About My Idle Plot On A Vague Anxiety // 2005

11. *shels : Plains of The Purple Buffalo // 2011

12. Beware of Safety : Leaves/Scars // 2011

13. Earth : The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull // 2008

14. Toundra : II // 2009

15. Red Sparowes : At Soundless Dawn // 2005

This list only took me a bit cause I wasn't going strictly instrumental. If I were, it would have been a lot easier. There is so much good post-rock out there floating around that I had to sit down and consider a lot. I also had to pick my absolute favorite release per artist cause I didn't want to repeat any.

Honorable mentions:

God Is An Astronaut : All Is Violent, All Is Bright // 2005 (16th) *

Deadhorse : We Can Create Our Own World // 2010 (17th)

Giants : Old Stories // 2008 (18th) **

Mono : For My Parents // 2012

Jakob : Solace // 2006 ***

Glaciers : And The Sea Won The Battle // 2009

Set & Setting : Equanimity // 2013

Russian Circles : Station // 2008

Pelican : Australasia // 2003

Moving Mountains : Foreward // 2008

The Shaking Sensations : Start Stop Worrying // 2013

sleemakeswaves : ...And So We Destroyed Everything // 2013

◯ : Black Sea of Trees // 2012 ^

Shy, Low : Hiraeth // 2015

Oak : Not Afraid Anymore // 2012

* / ** / *** - Really weird to not have this in my top fifteen. Especially being that this and YATC were my gateway albums into post-rock. But I didn't want this turning into a 'gateway' list, so they dropped down a bit. I sadly don't listen to this album as much as I used to after there being a decade of other post-rock that's come out since then, in additional to 'new' stuff to me.

^ - I think this band / album is incredibly under-rated. If you haven't heard them, change that: https://o-music.bandcamp.com/album/black-sea-of-trees-2

If my list could have repeat artists:

1. Caspian : Tertia // 2009

2. Caspian : You Are The Conductor // 2005

3. Caspian : Dust And Disquiet // 2015

4. Caspian : Waking Season // 2012

5. Caspian : The Four Trees // 2007

6. pg.lost : Key // 2012

7. Gifts From Enola : From Fathoms // 2009

8. If These Trees Could Talk: Above The Earth, Below The Sky // 2009

9. This Will Destroy You : Young Mountain // 2006

10. Kokomo : Kokomo // 2013

11. Slint : Spiderland // 1991

12. té : ゆえに、密度の幻想は綻び、蹌踉めく世界は明日を『忘却』す。(Thus, the Illusion of Density Comes Apart at the Seems) // 2012

13. Year Of No Light : Nord // 2006

14. Toe : The Book About My Idle Plot On A Vague Anxiety // 2005

15. *shels : Plains of The Purple Buffalo // 2011

Great lists, Matt !

Not a single album listed that I wouldn't be excited to put on the TT right this minute :)

Slint deserves more love. I'm really surprised I haven't seen anyone listing it. It's a staple in the genre.

I think a gateway / nostalgia list would be fun to make. The 'albums that got me into post-rock' list.

Alright, here are our locks:

4sbdhw.jpg

Now, we need two tie-breaker rounds - one for 10th place, one for 11-15th place:

First, we need to decide which Russian Circles album is 10th. The nominees are Enter, Geneva, and Empros.

Next, we need to pick five albums from the following ten:

Year of No Light - Ausserwelt

Pelican - Australasia

Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind

God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright

Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss

Daturah - Reverie

Shy, Low - Hiraeth

Toe - A Book About My Idle Plot...

Moving Mountains - Foreword

Deadhorse - We Can Create Our Own World

So I'm gonna say whoever submitted their top 15 lists get to vote on these last few. Just post with your picks and we'll get this thing onto the design department ASAP.

Alright, here are our locks:

4sbdhw.jpg

Now, we need two tie-breaker rounds - one for 10th place, one for 11-15th place:

First, we need to decide which Russian Circles album is 10th. The nominees are Enter, Geneva, and Empros.

Next, we need to pick five albums from the following ten:

Year of No Light - Ausserwelt

Pelican - Australasia

Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind

God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright

Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss

Daturah - Reverie

Shy, Low - Hiraeth

Toe - A Book About My Idle Plot...

Moving Mountains - Foreword

Deadhorse - We Can Create Our Own World

So I'm gonna say whoever submitted their top 15 lists get to vote on these last few. Just post with your picks and we'll get this thing onto the design department ASAP.

Enter for the Russian circles record for sure.

1.God is an astronaut

2.shy, low

3.toe

4.deadhorse

5.moving mountains

Sorry for the laziness with capitalization, in a plane ;)

• jhulud locked this topic