Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Wow I'm loving that Compass & Knife recommendation. Any word on a vinyl release?

Also I messaged you back about the runner up list Omik

Got it, thanks! Don't know about vinyl for them, but I agree it deserves it. "Our Home is..." and "Drowned is Desire" are two of the best post-rock tracks I've heard this year.

Also, since Gumbo very conveniently picked four albums (plus an implied fifth) from the tiebreak list on his original 15, the Guide is set!

33tmqm0.jpg

Tiebreak: Geneva 7, Enter 4

Year of No Light – Ausserwelt (7)

Pelican – Australasia (5)

Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind (8)

God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright (10)

Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss (4)

Daturah Reverie (6)

Shy, LowHiraeth (4)

Toe - A Book About My Idle Plot... (3)

Moving MountainsForeword (4)

Deadhorse - We Can Create Our Own World (7)

(Anyone interested in seeing how the whole matrix played out can check it here.)

I might have to make a late addition to my best of 2015 list...

25jkzee.jpg

Compass & Knife - The Setting of the Old Sun

FFO: Giants, sleepmakeswaves, Seas of Years

There will be many people in this thread that love this. Give it a listen if you haven't heard it already.

Unfortunately this is the post-rock formula I can't really get into.  Feels like every song follows the same "4 bars of something" and then "4 more bars of something with a little bit added on" and then the songs don't really go anywhere.  Just doesn't work for me unfortunately.

Also, since Gumbo very conveniently picked four albums (plus an implied fifth) from the tiebreak list on his original 15, the Guide is set!

33tmqm0.jpg

Tiebreak: Geneva 7, Enter 4

Year of No Light – Ausserwelt (7)

Pelican – Australasia (5)

Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind (8)

God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright (10)

Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss (4)

Daturah Reverie (6)

Shy, LowHiraeth (4)

Toe - A Book About My Idle Plot... (3)

Moving MountainsForeword (4)

Deadhorse - We Can Create Our Own World (7)

Tertia should be counted twice for me. That record deserves to be number 1, but I can't be mad at ITTCT.

Tertia is still better. ;)

Surprised Toe didn't get more love. Hmm.

Sad to see Foreword didn't make it but hey, solid list either way, can't really complain! Probably should open up talks about how exactly we wanna go about designing how we present the list in the guide.

Since this is a guide, maybe point out specifics about each album, maybe a top 3 tracks that really define the album and why we feel the album deserves to be in the list aside from voting, what stands out about it. Maybe writing style or more stand out progression, use of effects that really stands out, impact on other artists..? Of course this opens up a shitload more pages of potential voting so maybe that's a little pedantic. Maybe I'm just looking for extra content to have an excuse to consider more design elements for it haha.

Also giving Compass & Knife a spin, pretty fun stuff, I can dig it.

Since this is a guide, maybe point out specifics about each album, maybe a top 3 tracks that really define the album and why we feel the album deserves to be in the list aside from voting, what stands out about it. Maybe writing style or more stand out progression, use of effects that really stands out, impact on other artists..? Of course this opens up a shitload more pages of potential voting so maybe that's a little pedantic. Maybe I'm just looking for extra content to have an excuse to consider more design elements for it haha.

I was actually thinking we could divvy up writing jobs for everyone. Maybe a paragraph or so reflecting on one of your favorite albums in the list? Just another idea to add in the mix. I feel like the tastes in this thread are diverse enough where everybody could contribute, but that might also get a little tedious. I'd be fine with a 'go-to' track thrown in. You and Charlie could decide that between yourselves and then we could embed a Spotify playlist on the front page of this thread. I don't think that needs to be voted on.

I really like the idea of playlists.  We should do an "essential" playlist to coincide with the albums, and then maybe we should all contribute a couple tracks from bands that didn't make the cut.  Maybe 2 songs each?  But if we are using Spotify, then obviously they have to be on Spotify.  There isn't much that isn't on there, but I know some stuff isn't.

Any excuse for me to shoehorn some Cloudkicker somewhere haha.

I really think we should all tackle new albums weekly as well.  Maybe the first couple new albums released each week we should all check out and give our thoughts on.  I'd love to have an album of the month feature each month.  Maybe we all rank albums and then whatever has the highest aggregate score gets featured as the month's "album of the month".

I really like the idea of playlists.  We should do an "essential" playlist to coincide with the albums, and then maybe we should all contribute a couple tracks from bands that didn't make the cut.  Maybe 2 songs each?  But if we are using Spotify, then obviously they have to be on Spotify.  There isn't much that isn't on there, but I know some stuff isn't.

I really think we should all tackle new albums weekly as well.  Maybe the first couple new albums released each week we should all check out and give our thoughts on.  I'd love to have an album of the month feature each month.  Maybe we all rank albums and then whatever has the highest aggregate score gets featured as the month's "album of the month".

These are all great ideas. I've a little miffed myself that the Evpatoria Report and Joy Wants Eternity got no love from the rest of the voters. The album of the month feature should be a thing. Maybe one for a general favorite (like Cloudkicker) and one for a new release. (Name idea: The Discovery Series)

I'm all for doing a 25-song essential playlist. Heck, we could kick that off right now. The matrix will be a lot bigger but I'm sure we'd manage.

As an alternative to Spotify we could use 8Tracks. I haven't used it myself so I don't know a lot about it but I have a few friends that have made playlists with it. I think you can use both youtube and soundcloud links so it should open us up to be able to put just about any band in the playlist.

I'm not sure why I haven't been able to bring myself to sit down and contribute to lists, lately, but Mogwai would've absolutely been on mine. CODY and YT for life.

So Derek, while we're on the topic of not bringing yourself to sit down and contributing to lists, if you're planning on everyone forgetting that you never actually posted yours in the Favorite Albums of all Times-thread, I didn't. And won't!

I really like the idea of playlists. We should do an "essential" playlist to coincide with the albums, and then maybe we should all contribute a couple tracks from bands that didn't make the cut. Maybe 2 songs each? But if we are using Spotify, then obviously they have to be on Spotify. There isn't much that isn't on there, but I know some stuff isn't.

I really think we should all tackle new albums weekly as well. Maybe the first couple new albums released each week we should all check out and give our thoughts on. I'd love to have an album of the month feature each month. Maybe we all rank albums and then whatever has the highest aggregate score gets featured as the month's "album of the month".

I have a postpostrock playlist that's ten miles long, and is always growing. Then I have a ton of more specific post rock playlists. I'm always down to share them.

• jhulud locked this topic