Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Looks like Sleepmakeswaves is making a US tour announcement today.  Wooooooooooo!

Opening for the Contortionist? Weird.

I really hope they get at least 35-40 minutes of stage time. Seems like they're the first openers, with shitty second-rate "djent" crap above them, really disappointing.

Opening for the Contortionist? Weird.

I really hope they get at least 35-40 minutes of stage time. Seems like they're the first openers, with shitty second-rate "djent" crap above them, really disappointing.

Yeah what an incredibly disappointing announcement.  SMW hyped up this announcement like they were doing a headlining tour.  Fucking lame.  And they aren't even playing the Pittsburgh show which is the only one within 2 hours of me.  No thanks.

Well, Caspian was added to as the opener to the Underoath reunion tour. That should be interesting. Apparently the band is really big fans of Caspian which is random / awesome. Hopefully this will get Caspian some much deserved exposure. Going to the Toronto, Maryland, and Virginia dates.

I'm seeing them in Pittsburgh next month with o'brother as well. That should be a great show.

Wow, that's fucking lame. Opening that show, they should be co-headlining. The Contortionist is sick, though.

Just like Gates getting added as the opener to the Thrice tour... all these bands getting the shaft as the first opener. It's frustrating. These are groups I'd like to see do 2-hour sets, at least. haha

Wow, that's fucking lame. Opening that show, they should be co-headlining. The Contortionist is sick, though.

Just like Gates getting added as the opener to the Thrice tour... all these bands getting the shaft as the first opener. It's frustrating. These are groups I'd like to see do 2-hour sets, at least. haha

I have been wishing for a Gates headlining tour as well, but Gates & La Dispute opening for Thrice is a damn fine show. But that discussion is for another thread.

SMW did also say something to the effect of "hopefully this will be the first of many US tours", so hopefully they can headline something some day.

Dude, it's fucking Thrice. As much as I love Gates, it's fucking Thrice! No one is co-headlining that show. No one could co-headline that show. Gates is great, but they don't compare to Thrice, who are a fucking institution. Just to give you a little perspective, Thrice has been around 13 years longer than Gates.

How the hell are they getting the shaft? They are going on a major tour with a insanely popular and talented band. This will get them a fuck ton of exposure. Just like Caspian on the Underoath tour. Shouldn't you be happy that awesome post rock bands are getting the chance to tour with non post rock artists instead of just post rock tours? I think it's fucking great. This give the bands and the genre as a whole better recognition, and more exposure to people who generally don't listen to it.

Matt speaking truth ONCE AGAIN.  I think the Thrice tour will be huge for Gates development.  There are definitely some similarities between the bands, so if Thrice fans were unaware of Gates, I would be surprised if they didn't love them after seeing them live.  They are incredible live.  

Really? Wow. Not to ridicule anyone who may be into HIM, but that's probably the biggest gap in musical enjoyment that I've ever heard of. Total opposite ends of the spectrum for me. Yikes.

Yeah, I think it was in autumn 2013...saw them a few weeks before that tour and Phil told me that HIM was presented a list of 50 bands to choose from. They wanted the support to sound totally different and, in the end, chose Caspian.

Quite strange combination :D

Matt speaking truth ONCE AGAIN. I think the Thrice tour will be huge for Gates development. There are definitely some similarities between the bands, so if Thrice fans were unaware of Gates, I would be surprised if they didn't love them after seeing them live. They are incredible live.

I just don't see the complaint. Thrice is amazing live. Gates is great live. They go well together. It'll be great exposure for Gates.

But, you know, people will go and complain Gates didn't get a 2 hour set... ;)

I just like to complain, I guess.

Obviously it's good for the band. Duh.

But it's bad for people who want to see them play more than 20 minutes. :D

Also, the co-headlining thing was in reference to Sleepmakeswaves, not Gates. Although Gates should definitely be higher on that bill.

Ideally, the show would go like this: Gates - 40 minutes. Thrice, 2 65-minute sets.

And really, you want a 17-minute "They See Only Shadows". Drag that intro OUTTTTTT.

• jhulud locked this topic