Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Millions Now Living Will Never Die turns 20 today, I just put it on yesterday but I'll use this as an excuse to play it again today (as if I needed one)

I like this - at least once a week, someone post an "oldie" - classic or not -- that needs dusting off, or maybe some of us missed along the way  or for newer fans of the genre, or just need a new set of circumstances for it to click.

Went downtempo tonight for the insane week and dusted off Omega Massif's "Geisterstadt"  (I hear Gumbi footsteps...can't wait to read the write up on this one as it took me a few listens to find the right mood for this group).  Karpatia tomorrow.

Went downtempo tonight for the insane week and dusted off Omega Massif's "Geisterstadt"  (I hear Gumbi footsteps...can't wait to read the write up on this one as it took me a few listens to find the right mood for this group).  Karpatia tomorrow.

Both records are excellent choices!

*Sorry for the down-to-earth & dry analysis* ;)

I like this - at least once a week, someone post an "oldie" - classic or not -- that needs dusting off, or maybe some of us missed along the way or for newer fans of the genre, or just need a new set of circumstances for it to click.

Went downtempo tonight for the insane week and dusted off Omega Massif's "Geisterstadt" (I hear Gumbi footsteps...can't wait to read the write up on this one as it took me a few listens to find the right mood for this group). Karpatia tomorrow.

Love Omega. What about Kalt?

For me, even if Geisterstadt and Kalt are both extremely good albums, Karpatia is their best, they pushed it to the next level there imo.

The deluxe version with that nice triple gatefold and the splatter second pressing are both amazing as hell and the sound is simply huge.

I think it's time to revisit then.

For me, even if Geisterstadt and Kalt are both extremely good albums, Karpatia is their best, they pushed it to the next level there imo.

The deluxe version with that nice triple gatefold and the splatter second pressing are both amazing as hell and the sound is simply huge.

I think it's time to revisit then.

That's my favorite of theirs. I wish I could find the splatter for a good price. Or any variant for that matter. Haha.

That's my favorite of theirs. I wish I could find the splatter for a good price. Or any variant for that matter. Haha.

Yeah, you definitely have to find a copy.

Also the 3rd pressing on black with white splatter should have what it takes to be interesting.

I've never even seen a pic of it (except for the Denovali mock up) but I'd love to.

About the quality of their releases, Denovali is up there for me. Timo is a very kind and professional guy, that is always appreciated.

Yeah, you definitely have to find a copy.

Also the 3rd pressing on black with white splatter should have what it takes to be interesting.

I've never even seen a pic of it (except for the Denovali mock up) but I'd love to.

About the quality of their releases, Denovali is up there for me. Timo is a very kind and professional guy, that is always appreciated.

Yeah, I really, really want to. It's been on my list for a long time. Every variant is on my wantlist on Discogs. I've never really seen one for a good price though, that's in the US at least. There is a black copy up for $30, but I really want a splatter, cause they just look so damn cool. And it would go with my copy of Kalt.

Speaking of Denovali, I'm about to finally pull the trigger on the Té collection. : )

I'm not familiar with the material from the Te collection enough to pull the trigger on that, but their most recent single album (the darker colored background with horizontal lines) is fucking awesome.  

Just finally caved and bought a few things I've had in my cart forevvvvver:   Frames - In Via (LP + CD) for only $9 new, and Gates - Bloom & Breathe on milky clear with blue and green splatter.  It looks gorgeous.  I already have the slipcase limited oxblood and grimace purple variant, which I haven't opened yet, so we'll see which one I crack first.  

I'm supposed to be saving money, but I keep buying records.  

I like this - at least once a week, someone post an "oldie" - classic or not -- that needs dusting off, or maybe some of us missed along the way  or for newer fans of the genre, or just need a new set of circumstances for it to click.

Listening to Geisterstadt right now. This is... interesting.

It's like post-rock doom. Doom is not something that really ever does anything for me. It's often TOO slow for my tastes, but these guys hit some good moments.

Not completely in my wheelhouse. Year of No Light on the other hand... whooooooweeeeee

Kalt, yes! just no vinyl yet. 

YONL definitely gets more plays than Omega, but there's a time and a place for OM, very much like "Departure Songs." Not your party-time music. Heaviness in the real world in which we are but a vapor. Grounding kind of stuff.

Yeah I see what you're saying. There definitely WERE parts of it that I did like. But doom just... isn't really my thing. Unless it's Year of No Light. Those guys aren't really "doom" though, they just SOUND like DOOM. Kind of like "Deficit" by Russian Circles. That is the doomiest thing ever, and it is not doom metal.

"Deficit" sounds like what I imagine it will feel like when the world finally does end.

Speaking of RC, did anyone listen to those new songs in that live vid I posted a couple pages back? Surprised at the lack of hype for their new one.

Personally, I did not. But that's because I've experienced incongruities when listening to single songs off of albums I'l be sure to enjoy and get lost in to the fullest. With that being said, I am super hyped on the new RC.

Speaking of RC, did anyone listen to those new songs in that live vid I posted a couple pages back? Surprised at the lack of hype for their new one.

I did get to play through them once, and really liked the ambience of Afrika. Calla also had some good parts, but I need to revisit the songs.

Russian Circles is a weird band for me. Some songs I absolutely LOVE, but some songs do absolutely nothing for me, usually when they get super technical with lots of their tapping riffs.

• jhulud locked this topic