Am I being squeezed by an eBay member?

Yeah, but hopefully you at least realize that there is a chance the USPS could wreck it, even if it is well packed.

how so? we're all dealing with an unknown quantity in the 3rd party handling our records - the post office. nothing can control what these organisations do or how they handle our records. it should expected that SOME very minor damage will happen to the record sleeve in transit. unfortunately, i dont think we can expect minty mint mint records to arrive through the post. not ragging out on you here, but i have found as well that some ppl have way too high expectations on what condition the record SHOULD be when it lands on their doorstep, especially after a 6000 mile commute.

a little bit of reasoned thinking is required in these situations.

I have a contract with the seller to deliver the item I ordered in the condition I ordered it in. The seller has a contract with the delivery service to deliver the item presented to them in the same condition it was received. So damage during shipping is not my concern as I have no recourse with the delivery company.

I expect you are new at this whole record collecting thing.

Not exactly. 1070 in collection, and I mail-ordered each and every one.

not sure what the law is in the States, but here, we have the postal rule. Once the item has been posted, the contract is considered to be complete. so technically, you are kinda correct. the contract is between buyer and seller; the post office 'conduit' is just that, a conduit to complete the contract. Australia Post do not offer any insurance against damage; only for loss.

that being the case, neither the buyer nor the seller have much, if any, recourse against the post office for damage to the item allegedly caused by the post office during postage. thats the risk we take and its something understood by the majority of people that i have dealt with, buying and/or selling vinyl. shit happens. and there aint much we can do about it, except accept the fact that slight damage will in all likelihood occur during transit.

damn, if i had to return every record that arrived with a corner bump or split seam, i'd have a CD collection, coz i certainly wouldn't be owing any records.

I have a contract with the seller to deliver the item I ordered in the condition I ordered it in. The seller has a contract with the delivery service to deliver the item presented to them in the same condition it was received. So damage during shipping is not my concern as I have no recourse with the delivery company.

Not exactly. 1070 in collection, and I mail-ordered each and every one.

So then tell me your exact course of action when you buy a sealed record and it comes with a seam split due to postal workers inevitably tossing it around.

If the wax is whack, you send that shit back.

Pretty much everything else is fair game, albeit unfortunate. Split seams happen. Corner dings happen. Bent corners happen. Indentions happen. Ringwear happens. Unless you're OCD enough to pay hundreds of dollars for an item that is specifically listed or graded as "mint", you learn to deal with packaging imperfections and move on with your life.

I can assure you that your latest Hot Topic exclusive will sound the same with or without a split seam.

If the wax is whack, you send that shit back.

Pretty much everything else is fair game, albeit unfortunate. Split seams happen. Corner dings happen. Bent corners happen. Indentions happen. Ringwear happens. Unless you're OCD enough to pay hundreds of dollars for an item that is specifically listed or graded as "mint", you learn to deal with packaging imperfections and move on with your life.

I can assure you that your latest Hot Topic exclusive will sound the same with or without a split seam.

Pretty much what he said. If I'm buying an expensive record that was specifically graded a certain way and it arrives damaged, I'm going to complain otherwise I just live with it. I recently had a buyer complain that he had to clean off a fingerprint he found on a record I sold him (must've happened when I removed the record from the sleeve). I thought that was pretty pathetic. 

I guess the buyers sense of urgency has completely and utterly deteriorated after the first hour of being pissed off after opening the package I sent him. That, or he's totally framed the beautiful album sleeve. 

No photos, not a single response today. Day 3 begins tomorrow.

Looks like he's waiting to escalate with eBay customer support by waiting it out some more days until the 28th. 

Options I gave him.

1. Return the record for a complete refund
2. Select a record from about 6 I gave him I'd ship it free
3. He keeps the record, I keep the money

I was hoping he'd bite on number 2. while still not providing photos to display his idiocy with eBay customer support.

I have a quick question for the OP out of curiosity. Why are you using this new account and no longer using 'makesoundsnotlove' one? Also, why do you have a different age listed in each account? Not trying to be an ass, just curious. 

Edit - I see you were quick to change the age on the new account.

Crying over a bent corner and demanding half of the purchase price back. Ridiculous. One of the many reasons I can't stand the "new breed" of record buyers.

Sorry, I can't really offer help to your situation. I'm just painfully aware how buyer friendly eBay is in these situations. I hope it ends up going well for you though.

Agreed on both and also the reason I've stopped selling anything on ebay unless it's cash on collection.

Here is my resolution from a case where the USPS lost the $40 single I sold and mailed First Class with tracking.  Now USPS is the RECOMMENDED carrier for ebay and postage was purchase thru ebay.  But apparently all sellers are recommended to buy signature confirmation, which probably does nothing to find a lost package.  I lost the single and the payment ($80 value) with no recourse.  The best the USPS could do is send me a MRC request form that has no instructions or log-in information.   

Comments:

We received insufficient tracking info from you. You must provide tracking info in the Resolution Center before a case gets escalated. Note that tracking info includes the shipping carrier and an item tracking number that can be tracked online. If the item $amount$ or more, shipping with signature confirmation is required.

mac1's situation is typical of the response one will get from the offending postal service.

pack the record well, ship it OUTSIDE the sleeve, use a decent mailer and cross yr fingers.

wildflange, i hope it works out for you. you are doing all that is reasonable, more than what's reasonable in this situation. once it finishes, wash yr hands of ebay altogether and stick to like-minded forums, discogs and the like.

On any and all record auctions I may have on eBay, I borrowed the verbiage from BCD on my listings:

Take note: even though these records are pristine please be aware I DO NOT issue refunds or replacements for minor cosmetic damage, such as corner dings, bends, split inserts, and so on. I pack all items very securely and carefully but in some cases this type of wear is simply unavoidable during transit and handling by the USPS.

I'm definitely going to start doing this myself. I've sold some stuff over the last month on eBay and have been shocked how obnoxious some buyers can be. I can't imagine how awful it is to run a distro nowadays.

If a record is described in a certain condition, I expect to receive it in that condition.

Pardon my French.

You sound like a cunt. As someone that lives in Australia, I pretty much order most of my records from overseas(except those I buy in stores). If I get a brand new record with a corner ding and a split seam I'm happy.

If the record is packed well and it still happens, that is absolutely not the sellers fault, and I will not be a dick about it. If the record is warped to the point it affects playability, regardless of packaging I'll drop an email. And still offer to pay shipping on a replacement.

What I won't do is be a bitch to a record label that puts out things I want, that do the best they can to prevent problems and still have them happen. It's not their fault. What's the other option? Not ship overseas? Only have a pick up from the pressing plant policy?

Stop being a douche.

I have a quick question for the OP out of curiosity. Why are you using this new account and no longer using 'makesoundsnotlove' one? Also, why do you have a different age listed in each account? Not trying to be an ass, just curious. 

Edit - I see you were quick to change the age on the new account.

YOU BEEN CALLED OUT, SON!

supa-hot-fire.gif

Pardon my French.

You sound like a cunt. As someone that lives in Australia, I pretty much order most of my records from overseas(except those I buy in stores). If I get a brand new record with a corner ding and a split seam I'm happy.

If the record is packed well and it still happens, that is absolutely not the sellers fault, and I will not be a dick about it. If the record is warped to the point it affects playability, regardless of packaging I'll drop an email. And still offer to pay shipping on a replacement.

What I won't do is be a bitch to a record label that puts out things I want, that do the best they can to prevent problems and still have them happen. It's not their fault. What's the other option? Not ship overseas? Only have a pick up from the pressing plant policy?

Stop being a douche.

I am a cunt and a douche for expecting to receive the item I paid for in the condition I paid for?