Am I being squeezed by an eBay member?

I'm wondering if I'm protected as a seller. I sold a record and the buyer said it came damaged even thinks I might have played him dirty and sent a bummed copy. The truth is I did not. I would never do that especially as a collector myself. So he claimed a corner was bent, and he opened an eBay case. I ask him if he would sent a photo of the whole sleeve and then the detail shot of the damage. I stated clearly on the listing no refunds no exchanges and he wants half the amount he paid in a refund. 

So far he hasn't gotten back to me. And I responded 12 minutes after he opened the case, also 2 hours later after that, and then 2 more hours after that and then finally I sent a personal e-mail to him. I want to work something out with him if he's telling the truth. All I ask if that I see the photos. My fear is that he will just not respond to my demand and wait more days and escalate the claim so it will be reviewed by a eBay staff.

I feel bad for the guy honestly, but what else are we supposed to do as a seller? Shipping records with other items up to 70 pounds is beyond me.

I took the records out next to the sleeve so they wouldn't pressed inside and produce a vinyl ring inside the gatefold, also I had small bubble mailers around the record. I made sure there was no slippage before mailing it out. 

Am I doomed? 

I gave the dude my number to message me pics, got none. Sent him a personal e-mail as well, no reply. Sent him 3 messages through eBay resolution center. 

I got this message from eBay as well during the resolution center.

"Note that a case will only affect your seller performance rating if the case is not decided in your favor."

I think he's under the assumption that I must absolutely refund him. Don't get me wrong I'd love to work something out but something seems a bit fishy. If I pulled a resolution center I'd have my phone, email, computer whatever contact on my mind at all times and would respond right away. 

Anyone have any experience with this sort of mess?

My plan so far is... If he provides pictures that clearly display a "dent" in the corner to 

A. Offer him another record. 

B. Ask him to ship it back for a full refund (It's a rare record I'm sure he wants to keep it since he's insisting I give him half the refund)

C. Resell it.

Crying over a bent corner and demanding half of the purchase price back. Ridiculous. One of the many reasons I can't stand the "new breed" of record buyers.

Sorry, I can't really offer help to your situation. I'm just painfully aware how buyer friendly eBay is in these situations. I hope it ends up going well for you though.

I've run into this situation a couple times and my response is always the same, I give the buyer two options:

1. Send record back and you will get a full refund.

2. Keep the record, and I keep the moneys.

No partial refunds, ever. eBay claims are different than PayPal ones in that if eBay decides in his favor they will make him send the item back in order to get a refund anyway (in my experience) so either way he shouldn't end up with a partial refund.

This is getting more and more annoying, eBay I mean. Recently I had few cases when bidder didn't pay (what can I do? NOTHING) or whine about brand new record condition (asking for half-refund). I usually ask for sending it back as I fuckin' hate being ripped off, but last time I offered 25% refund just because I wanted to have my funds back on paypal (they block whole amount). Now they added some 'global shipping' shit and guys from certain countries cannot bid despite the fact I have no restrictions. The day I say "fuck you" to eBay is getting closer every day.

He was fully aware of a couple blemishes. Photographs and everything were shown. Also, he isn't overseas. He lives in a very wealthy town in America. I'm leaning toward telling him to send the record back. God only knows what will happen as revenge...

Of course all of this, after he shows me the photos!

This is getting more and more annoying, eBay I mean. Recently I had few cases when bidder didn't pay (what can I do? NOTHING) or whine about brand new record condition (asking for half-refund). I usually ask for sending it back as I fuckin' hate being ripped off, but last time I offered 25% refund just because I wanted to have my funds back on paypal (they block whole amount). Now they added some 'global shipping' shit and guys from certain countries cannot bid despite the fact I have no restrictions. The day I say "fuck you" to eBay is getting closer every day.

I can understand there are some pretty shady sellers out there! But this kid straight up opened a resolution case not even an hour after it was delivered. I'm not some power seller company who has items shipped by a team of people I pay. This guy could've sent me a message, or e-mail before resolution center. 

I also stated no returns! This is common practice even within local record shops, there's really no way to tell if the person left the record out in the sun inside their vehicle, or switched the vinyl out itself. (Are these over the top examples? Perhaps but geez all of this over a dent corner... That I haven't even seen photos for!)

I've run into this situation a couple times and my response is always the same, I give the buyer two options:

No partial refunds, ever. eBay claims are different than PayPal ones in that if eBay decides in his favor they will make him send the item back in order to get a refund anyway (in my experience) so either way he shouldn't end up with a partial refund.

I agree with this, especially if the buyer doesn't send you pictures of the product in question. 

This same situation happened to me a couple months ago.  In the end, the kid (no doubt some kid buying it to frame) only asked for $5 back after he spent $80 on the record.  I obliged because $5 is nothing to settle a paypal dispute.  He said next time I ship records I should use a piece or wood or hard plastic to keep the package from getting bent.   You know, like how all record labels and distros use wood and plastic in packaging.  GD kids.

Gotta love these newjacks who get into records and bitch and whine over small bent corners during shipping. If the jacket was completely destroyed it'd be one thing to really be upset over, but a dinged corner?!?! Bitch, please.

THIS. SERIOUSLY.

On any and all record auctions I may have on eBay, I borrowed the verbiage from BCD on my listings:

Take note: even though these records are pristine please be aware I DO NOT issue refunds or replacements for minor cosmetic damage, such as corner dings, bends, split inserts, and so on.  I pack all items very securely and carefully but in some cases this type of wear is simply unavoidable during transit and handling by the USPS.

I'm wondering if I'm protected as a seller. 

Am I doomed? 

1. No. You are not protected, the buyer always wins. 

2. Yes.  The buyer always wins.  

example A: USPS loses your supremely packaged LP, with tracking, but without insurance.  Just suddenly vanishes from the tracking system.  You lose the LP, buyer gets money back, ebay gets fees.   

example:  Manufacturing errors.  Sending sealed LP's to the "new brand of collector" who then opens the record, doesn't like the shade of color, slight ding in the corner or there is a slight warp due to manufacturing packaging.  Demands a full refund because the record is not perfect.  You pay return shipping and now have a opened, slightly warped record to resell.  Buyer washes hands, gets money back.  You lose.  

Ebay is for buying.  Need to look into discogs for selling.  

I've totally given up on eBay as a seller and don't buy there much either.

I think the OP has done everything they can and should do at this point.  I know eBay tends to take the "guilty until proven innocent" approach, but If the buyer won't reply to messages, and isn't sending any proof of damage, just try to stop worrying and wait and see what happens.