I'm not tryna complain about the neighborhoods price but it doesn't make sense to me that it would retail for almost $30 when illinoise by sufjan stevens retails at $17 and is also a 2xLP triple gatefold.

genuinely curious about the huge difference. I'm aware of the naturally higher price because of licensing and all that, but I don't see how asthmatic kitty could offer a similar product at almost half the price.

I'm not tryna complain about the neighborhoods price but it doesn't make sense to me that it would retail for almost $30 when illinoise by sufjan stevens retails at $17 and is also a 2xLP triple gatefold.

genuinely curious about the huge difference. I'm aware of the naturally higher price because of licensing and all that, but I don't see how asthmatic kitty could offer a similar product at almost half the price.

Kids with piano belts and blue hair will still buy and frame them at $29.50. Kids with piano belts and blue hair will still buy and frame them at $35.50, because it's two vinyuls with cool colors and a cool jacket!

Kids with piano belts and blue hair will not buy and frame Sufjan Stevens records.

Unfortunately, we have to pay that premium too. 

And I get that if manufacturing costs are higher. I was just pointing out HT's recent price bump on new exclusives that are sometimes $5+ more than directly from the label or even other distros.

Labels also sell direct to the customer. Hot Topic gets records from distributors who get them from labels before they can be sold to the customer.

These records literally have nothing to do with each other, double gatefold or not. There's a lot more that factors into the cost of a record.

Kids with piano belts and blue hair will still buy and frame them at $29.50. Kids with piano belts and blue hair will still buy and frame them at $35.50, because it's two vinyuls with cool colors and a cool jacket!

Kids with piano belts and blue hair will not buy and frame Sufjan Stevens records.

That's really not it at all

Labels also sell direct to the customer. Hot Topic gets records from distributors who get them from labels before they can be sold to the customer.

Again I get that. What Im saying is for a while most of the single LPS that HT had ranged from $12-17 (Usually matching that of other retailers Bestbuy, amazon). Now it seems that the base price is higher at $20. 

Again I get that. What Im saying is for a while most of the single LPS that HT had ranged from $12-17 (Usually matching that of other retailers Bestbuy, amazon). Now it seems that the base price is higher at $20. 

But the market in general is seeing a rise in prices due to the popularity of vinyl in the current market.

When HT was putting out $12 LPs, everyone was putting out $12 LPs.

Now it's nearly $20 standard for most single disc releases, and damn near $30 for most double LPs.

Its' not just from HT, check amazon, check SRC, check nearly every retailer.

I'm sure the fact that lots more "mainstream" artists pressing records now has backed up pressing plants even - that's probably factoring into prices too.

Oh hey, what's going on in here?

Welp, see you guys later!

But the market in general is seeing a rise in prices due to the popularity of vinyl in the current market.

When HT was putting out $12 LPs, everyone was putting out $12 LPs.

Now it's nearly $20 standard for most single disc releases, and damn near $30 for most double LPs.

Its' not just from HT, check amazon, check SRC, check nearly every retailer.

I'm sure the fact that lots more "mainstream" artists pressing records now has backed up pressing plants even - that's probably factoring into prices too.

While I would agree on that for some records (And its sad to see the price raise) it is not the case usually with a lot of the indie labels that HT stocks. Most RFC, No Sleep, Deathwish records still stay around $15 no matter where you look.

That's really not it at all

I didn't mean to imply that it was the only reason for a price increase, but would you say it has nothing to do with places like Hot Topic charging more for records? I don't see Hot Topic as the sort of retailer who would not try to maximize profits in that way.

But, I don't know much about Hot Topic and I don't know much about economics.

While I would agree on that for some records (And its sad to see the price raise) it is not the case usually with a lot of the indie labels that HT stocks. Most RFC, No Sleep, Deathwish records still stay around $15 no matter where you look.

So, the general price increases are due to the market trends,

And for the indie releases (RFC, Deathwsh, etc.) I can only assume that - like Travis said, they are buying from a distribution center rather than from the labels direct, so there is a mark up on individual items.

You can see this with almost anything they sell - Funko Pop vinyl figures are $12.50 at HT while they're like $10 at say Barnes and Noble or something like that.

But there is the argument that if you're buying the items in stores, you're not paying shipping and blah blah blah - it almost evens out.

Edit: and I'm not trying to "defend" them really - I have no stock in HT.

I just think that there are logical explanations to this.

So, the general price increases are due to the market trends,

And for the indie releases (RFC, Deathwsh, etc.) I can only assume that - like Travis said, they are buying from a distribution center rather than from the labels direct, so there is a mark up on individual items.

You can see this with almost anything they sell - Funko Pop vinyl figures are $12.50 at HT while they're like $10 at say Barnes and Noble or something like that.

But there is the argument that if you're buying the items in stores, you're not paying shipping and blah blah blah - it almost evens out.

Edit: and I'm not trying to "defend" them really - I have no stock in HT.

I just think that there are logical explanations to this.

I agree that it seems to be because of their mark up Its just weird that their mark up has jumped so much all of a sudden.

The Ataris releases were $17 (for an exclusive color) and that was better than prices on the standard black represses I've seen.

Interpunk is selling the black Atari's albums at $12.50.  So it's definitely possible to charge less for those, along with a ton of the other stuff they are distro'ing.  The only reason I bought them at HT is because my local store got them, so no shipping, and I had a $5 off coupon.  So it was right about the same price as both black copies shipped from Interpunk.

This store usually has a pretty decent selection from what I've seen over the years. There aren't any other stores in the Orlando area that carry any records at all. If they do, it's 1-2 copies of junk. 

You could always do the ship to store for free option to be sure. 

Unfortunately, they won't appear on the site until the 13th, which is my last day in the area. I'll just have to hope they show up at the store on that day or a little bit before!

This jacket doesn't fit in a frame.

Yeah you are right the price raise on some of the releases that HT carries from labels like you are talking about seems to be higher than most (if not all) other places that carry those releases. This is new because up until recently their prices were along the sames lines as other places. So it's not like the pricing has always been this way. I mean I'm not sure what the defense of it is. I've gotta believe that those labels/distributors are not saying: "Hey let's cut everyone a deal...except Hot Topic". In reality maybe they are...but it seems odd.

The truth is if there is a dollar to be made somebody wants to make it. Hot Topic or somewhere on the food chain.

Yeah you are right the price raise on some of the releases that HT carries from labels like you are talking about seems to be higher than most (if not all) other places that carry those releases. I mean I'm not sure what the defense on it is. I've gotta believe that those labels/distributors are not saying: "Hey let's cut everyone a deal...except Hot Topic". Maybe they are...but it seems odd.

The truth is if there is a dollar to be made somebody wants to make it. Hot Topic or somewhere on the food chain.

Hot Topic has 800 stores with thousands of employees, both in their stores and in the warehouses / home office.  I'd say their overhead goes far beyond that of any independent record label.   I would wager that their profit margin on vinyl records isn't exactly sky high and, even if it is: so what?  They have exclusive products that you would have a hard time getting elsewhere.  

Travis does a fantastic job of not only getting things that he feels the community wants, but also keeping said community informed on their progress (despite the CONSTANT questioning of everything he does).  

In the last year, I have probably purchased from Hot Topic 20-25 times.  If it winds up costing me a $100 over the course of the year to ensure that Travis has his job and can continue to do what he does, then I have no issue with it whatsoever.

Hot Topic has 800 stores with thousands of employees, both in their stores and in the warehouses / home office.  I'd say their overhead goes far beyond that of any independent record label.   I would wager that their profit margin on vinyl records isn't exactly sky high and, even if it is: so what?  They have exclusive products that you would have a hard time getting elsewhere.  

Travis does a fantastic job of not only getting things that he feels the community wants, but also keeping said community informed on their progress (despite the CONSTANT questioning of everything he does).  

In the last year, I have probably purchased from Hot Topic 20-25 times.  If it winds up costing me a $100 over the course of the year to ensure that Travis has his job and can continue to do what he does, then I have no issue with it whatsoever.

I agree Travis seems like a stand-up guy and spends a lot of time on here talking and is a part of this community outside of just talking about HT. I think he does a good job at working with labels and getting some really awesome stuff for HT.  If I have a problem with any price I can always go elsewhere (as long as the release is not 100% exclusive). It's not like I'm forced to buy anything. I was really just agreeing that those records do seem to cost more at Hot Topic than nearly anywhere else and that only recently happened. I was curious if labels/distributors really are making them pay more for records. If you feel differently and don't mind paying whatever price they place on the record. I have no beef with that. You definitely bring up some fair points for discussion. :)

I agree Travis seems like a stand-up guy and spends a lot of time on here talking and is a part of this community outside of just talking about HT. I think he does a good job at working with labels and getting some really awesome stuff for HT.  If I have a problem with any price I can always go elsewhere (as long as the release is not 100% exclusive). It's not like I'm forced to buy anything. I was really just agreeing that those records do seem to cost more at Hot Topic than nearly anywhere else and that only recently happened. I was curious if labels/distributors really are making them pay more for records. If you feel differently and don't mind paying whatever price they place on the record. I have no beef with that. You definitely bring up some fair points for discussion. :)

No worries. :)  I don't think Hot Topic necessarily pays a higher price to get records.  Sometimes they are the reseller.  A label can sell their product for much less than HT because they don't have to pay to license their own material, etc.  I am sure there are a thousand things that influence the price of a record that I don't even pretend to know about. :D

No worries. :) I don't think Hot Topic necessarily pays a higher price to get records. Sometimes they are the reseller. A label can sell their product for much less than HT because they don't have to pay to license their own material, etc. I am sure there are a thousand things that influence the price of a record that I don't even pretend to know about. :D

Hot Topic doesn't pay any licensing fees. They aren't a label and have never pressed a record. Even their exclusives are just albums that Travis has convinced a label to press for them. Then they pay for the product and based on how much they get charged set a price for the consumer. Usually their big exclusives are with major labels, who are definitely charging more than a distributor would for let's say a RFC or DW release. That's why for the longest time all the big exclusives (ie Blink, Finch, Midtown) were in the $20-$30 range while you could still pick up a Hostage Calm album for $12. I think whoever sets the prices for HT (not Travis, not blaming him) realized that people were paying $20 for single LPs regularly and decided to overall make that the goto price for ALL single LPs (yes I know there are occasionally a few acceptions, but I'm speaking in general here).

All of this is me just attempting to use logic, I'm sure there are other factors involved. So if Travis needs to reply with a vague "that isn't it at all" without elaborating, I will understand.