Ye Olde Trade Bait

Hi guys, I'm new here, though have been viewing the boards for a while. And just wanted to get a feel for the attitudes on the board to something.

I posted on the Circa thread something which could be construed as buying an album for 'trade bait'. No-one called me on it save for a -1 reputation on the post, though another guy got hammered for mentioning he had bought 2 copies of something to resell, which he got a rinsing for.

To clarify, my post mentioned that I had but 1 copy of OLG and 1 copy of BSN by Circa, not multiple copies or anything. I like many Circa fans have been wanting these for years, though I have never wanted to pay the crazy flippers prices. Seeing these up for $25 and $35 bucks a piece, plus $27 delivery to UK, is still a bargain to me.

On the post however, I mentioned that I would gladly trade any of them for the 1 particular item I have in my want-list. I think this is what must have riled one user (perhaps more). I think the contention might come because I said 'I'll keep em mint', that directly implies I bought these to trade/flip, which I can understand would upset the board. I'd never flip these for cash, because I want them in my collection, and I will eventually get around to playing these records, it's just I reaaaally want the other LP way more, so I would trade whatever it takes if opportunity arose. The wanted LP isn't particularly expensive, rarity its of 500, and I've seen people sell it for $10-20 in the past year, the problem is it doesn't come up often or I've missed it, hence my standing trade offer on anything in my collection. I guess because of the timing of my post, with some people having missed out on the Circa stuff, I might've annoyed some members, which wasn't my intention.

So what are your thoughts on this kind of thing? Hate it, mildly disapprove, indifferent? Am I forever tainted with the stink of a trade baiter? Have you done something similar? Is there a record that you'd trade everything but your shirt for? I want to contribute to the boards more over time, so it would good to get a set of honest opinions, but no hate please, we're all adults.  :)

My opinion is...who cares. Once you've paid for a record it's yours. Do as you please. If anyone gets pissed off at you for it, they have too much time on their hands and should probably get outdoors a little.

It's a piece of plastic with music on it, and anyone that takes it more serious than that is probably a piece of shit in real life

Yeah I'll definitely do as I do since they are mine, and I'm collecting records I love and would only trade for ones I loved more.

It'd just be interesting to see what general consensus is on the boards, I'd rather not antagonise people, or get voted down when trying to hawk a trade just because people have particular views about ye olde wax.

The general consensus is that 9/10 of the people here would rip flippers (the reasoning behind buying the record isn't as import as the idea that a record is being sold for above face value) but then do it themselves all the time (justifying it by selling slightly below eBay, trading instead of buying, etc.)

I really don't care about trading cause in the end a record is worth a nominal value to each person. If someone thinks it's a fair trade than who the hell am I to tell them they're in the wrong. However, the problem I have with flippers with any sort of art, vinyl or any other collectible is that they've done absolutely nothing but purchase an item at retail value and make a huge profit off of it. When in all actuality the individual or company responsible for all the hard work put into producing said items is getting merely a fraction of what the flipper does, and why? Morality... Flippers have absolutely zero morals, that's just me though.

Oh I 100% agree with everyone on the cash/ebay/buy-to-profit argument, that is underhanded. In-fact I've never sold a single vinyl, let alone flipped any, I want each and every item in my collection at the end of the day. I just have a very small wish-list which takes priority over anything I own, just like a set-collector would sell their first-born for that final rare piece.

I agree with what you said Thrice re: the fair trade. If the vinyl I'm after comes up, I'd gladly trade a less or more sought after item for it, doesn't matter which, ultimately we'd both be after a deal and presumably the other party wouldn't agree to trade if they didn't think they were getting a good deal either. 

Cheers for the replies all, good to know!  :)

No hate here, but that novel was seriously because you got one negative reputation point?

Who cares? You shouldn't. You bought something, realized it was highly sought after, decided to offer a trade for something you are seeking, so there's no reason for you to open them at this point if you are able to successfully trade. If someone wants to get mad about that, they can piss off.

@tellallyourfriends Haha you got me. Though I know of many adults who use smileys, I guess I'm still just a 29 year old child :(

@deafening 100% agree. Of course I don't really 'care', I wasn't fussed about the down-vote, it just hinted to there being something up with my post. So thought I'd ask about the unwritten rules in this case, I'd rather get along with people is all. I appreciate a novel for a rep point was a bit annoying, It was mainly to preempt me getting lambasted in future by some more established members - who I've seen tear into anyone that posts anything that can vaguely be construed as flipping related.

We can put a nail in this, all answers appreciated.