VC's definitive list of albums, A- Z (VOTING CLOSED)

brandy

I can't speak for everyone who's voting for Your Favorite Weapon... but there isn't any spite on my end.  I do own and enjoy YFW, but I have no shame in saying that it's the band's sloppiest and least memorable album.  It's a fun ride through and through - and I have many great memories associated with it - but lyrically and musically, it's not anything to write home about.  At least not in my opinion.

What's cool about this thread and the selection of winners from each round... is that [most] of the albums are undeniably classics.  One for the ages.  Timeless.  I'm not a huge fan of Nirvana, Alkaline Trio, Against Me!, or The Beatles.  But seeing their names and album in this "definitive list" just looks right to me.  I know that their albums bring defining qualities to the table, and are considered classics for a reason.  And Your Favorite Weapon is definitely out of place in said list.  Again, this is just an opinion of mine, unpopular as it may be.

And I think the majority of people just don't want to see Brand New win a letter on principle.  A lot of folks are simply burnt out on the sheer amount of worship the band garners here at VC.  I know that's a silly basis to cast a vote on, but I'm just calling it like I see it.

But looking back on it, if we're talking about "classics" that influenced future bands and genres, I think I'll revise my vote.  I love You Fail Me, but I wouldn't call it half as influential as;

51EcMaI3LIL.jpg

It won't even come remotely close to winning, and I'd much rather see Brand New and Converge go neck to neck... but for the sake of thread integrity, this is my official Y vote.

And I think the majority of people just don't want to see Brand New win a letter on principle.  A lot of folks are simply burnt out on the sheer amount of worship the band garners here at VC.  I know that's a silly basis to cast a vote on, but I'm just calling it like I see it.

I typed out a really long response to this, but I'm not awake enough to be coherent. (Also, what I said was not specifically directed at you, Derek.)

tl;dr version: The shit this band gets is becoming more prominent and annoying than the praise.

tl;dr version: The shit this band gets is becoming more prominent and annoying than the praise.

I can agree with that.  The amount of hype (and occasional explosion of threads) that circle around Brand New get old pretty quick, but I've got to say that I enjoy everything they've written.  Granted, I hardly listen to them much these days, you'd have to be pretty naïve to ignore the weight of a record like TDAG.  Love them or hate them... there's a reason why their albums have received such praise.  And it goes well, well beyond acoustic Youtube covers and Tumblr quotes.

But, you know.  Bandwagons.

[edit]

And I've got to agree with Ryan on the D debacle.  With the absolute mountain of hype and posts that spiraled around the repress of TDAG, and the collective shit that would fill the pants of board members if a Deja PO dropped at random... there's no way that more people didn't vote for either of those albums.  17 - 20 year-old me would have.  In a heartbeat.

Agreeing with Derek and Rachel on their posts.

I think the thing I'm most annoyed with is that Tell All Your Friends won as album that is more or less the same in content and quality as YFW

Calling it "the D debacle" is being just as musically intolerant as anything anyone said about Brand New.

You may be missing the point, 'bowski -- it's not a debacle because I personally think Brand New deserved to take the letter. (If that was the case, I probably would've voted for them, you know?) It's a debacle because - statistically, on this board - they should've received the majority of votes, when in fact they received none. It's like working with an office full of fellow peers who rave about Pepsi every day. But when you poll them on their favorite beverage - and someone jokingly says "inb4 omg Pepsi! <3" - they all vote for Fanta and Mr. Pibb. It's goofy as hell.

You may be missing the point, 'bowski -- it's not a debacle because I personally think Brand New deserved to take the letter. (If that was the case, I probably would've voted for them, you know?) It's a debacle because - statistically, on this board - they should've received the majority of votes, when in fact they received none. It's like working with an office full of fellow peers who rave about Pepsi every day. But when you poll them on their favorite beverage - and someone jokingly says "inb4 omg Pepsi! <3" - they all vote for Fanta and Mr. Pibb. It's goofy as hell.

And even in that last post is another dig at the Black Flag vote -- comparing it to "jokingly" voting in a "goofy" way.

I don't care if you want to argue that Brand New is more popular on this board and the small sample size of VC that actually voted explains why they didn't win. That's tough to really objectively prove (it's not like you polled the entire board on whether they like BF or BN more) but not an unreasonable claim.

But Damaged is a great album and if anyone doesn't agree, there are hundreds of "greatest album" lists from reputable sources (places like Rolling Stone) that disagree. Thus, you are wrong if you think it is a "joke" or "debacle" that it won.

And even in that last post is another dig at the Black Flag vote -- comparing it to "jokingly" voting in a "goofy" way.

I don't care if you want to argue that Brand New is more popular on this board and the small sample size of VC that actually voted explains why they didn't win. That's tough to really objectively prove (it's not like you polled the entire board on whether they like BF or BN more) but not an unreasonable claim.

But Damaged is a great album and if anyone doesn't agree, there are hundreds of "greatest album" lists from reputable sources (places like Rolling Stone) that disagree. Thus, you are wrong if you think it is a "joke" or "debacle" that it won.

I've been around the board long enough to know that you, personally, will beat the hell out of a horse and argue until you're blue in the face.  So I'm not going to try to persuade you to think or feel something you don't.  But it doesn't take a poll to realize Brand New is far more hyped on these boards.  From the amount of threads, to the posts that fill them, to everyone's collection.  I'm comfortable in saying that you can check the Deadformat or Discogs list of most anyone on this board, and they'll likely own at least one Brand New album.  I can't say the same for Black Flag.  Not comparing the bands' music by any means, whatsoever.  I'm just talking raw numbers at this point.

I also never said that Damages was a joke, or that the fact it won is a debacle.  You're reading between the lines and that's why I refuse to sit here and argue with you.  Say what you want; but on a forum where ~80% of the users are head over heels for Brand New, and where 75% of their discography starts with the letter D but still receives zero votes... something is fishy.  It doesn't matter where you stand with the band or their music.  I'm speaking purely statistically at this point.

Lol at claiming to speak purely statistically with zero statistics to back up your point.

Yeah, dude.  Excuse me while I spend my evening clicking through everyone's tradelist and compiling the data into a Google doc just to prove a point in a thread.  If you need a fancy pie chart and a properly formatted table to grasp this simple concept, I apologize.  Just pick and choose 10 tradelists at random and tell me how many contain Brand New records vs. Black Flag records.  You're a smart guy, Bowski.  This isn't rocket science.

Obviously I'm not dedicating my night to trying to do random sampling of tradeslists either. I just don't claim to understand the musical demographics of VC with the level of certainty to make these kind of claims. I'm not saying the Brand New wouldn't win over Black Flag, just that I think you guys overstate the difference. There are PLENTY of people here who do not listen to emo/pop punk. Whether it's 20%, 40%, 60%, etc, I don't know. It's not 2%.

If we can just agree that Damaged is a good/great record, I don't really care about the rest of this.

Obviously I'm not dedicating my night to trying to do random sampling of tradeslists either. I just don't claim to understand the musical demographics of VC with the level of certainty to make these kind of claims. I'm not saying the Brand New wouldn't win over Black Flag, just that I think you guys overstate the difference. There are PLENTY of people here who do not listen to emo/pop punk. Whether it's 20%, 40%, 60%, etc, I don't know. It's not 2%.

If we can just agree that Damaged is a good/great record, I don't really care about the rest of this.

Based on the discussions I read and the tradelists I've skimmed, I'd say that Brand New (and pop-punk) can be found in the collections of 70 - 80% of the board's members.  That's a number I feel is very real, but I have no legitimate numbers to back it up.

You're a good dude, and I have no desire to hash it out with you.  Damaged is solid and worthy of winning the letter D, along with the various accolades it's accumulated over the years.  It's not my favorite genre by any means, but I can still respect it immensely.  I was never trying to dispute any of that.