Shootings at SC State University/Columbia, MD Mall

"ORANGEBURG, S.C. — A student was killed Friday at South Carolina State University, and authorities say they are searching for at least four suspects.

The shooting took place around 1:30 p.m. ET Friday outside Andrew Hugine Suites, a dormitory for upperclassmen on the campus of the historically black university about 40 miles south of Columbia, S.C."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/24/south-carolina-school-shooting/4831069/

We're twenty five days into the year and there's already been two public shootings...

We're twenty five days into the year and there's already been two public shootings...

For the US, I'm sad to say I can't tell whether or not you're being sarcastic. . .

Stop covering these sorts of things in the national news, America.  More importantly, who the shooters are.

I'm pretty sure I'm the first person to ever have stated this; thus, I just changed America by stating that.  

Yeah I'm not sure how much national focus is bringing these things more to light as opposed to the past, but it's probably not a bad thing. Yes, it looks fucking terrible as it is terrible, but something has to change and I've generally been a big 2nd amendment supporter.

Seems like the SC state was a targeted shooting, not sure about the mall.  Our cultures just have to be taught that this behavior is not an option.  Like fuck.

For the US, I'm sad to say I can't tell whether or not you're being sarcastic. . .

Stop covering these sorts of things in the national news, America. More importantly, who the shooters are.

I'm pretty sure I'm the first person to ever have stated this; thus, I just changed America by stating that.

No sarcasm. I think it's disgusting.

No sarcasm. I think it's disgusting.

Yeah, it was more rhetorical than anything.  I haven't heard anything about either of these other than what you've posted, but I'd be willing to bet they're late teens/early twenties.  

I'm leaning more and more to getting my little boys out of the country before they're in high school.  

Yeah, it was more rhetorical than anything.  I haven't heard anything about either of these other than what you've posted, but I'd be willing to bet they're late teens/early twenties.  

I'm leaning more and more to getting my little boys out of the country before they're in high school.  

Do you want to wait for a motive to come out before you talk about leaving the country? Not saying that any action ever justifies murder, it doesn't. But if it comes out that the victim pulled a gun on the perpetrator at a party over a girl last weekend doesn't that make you feel a little safer for your kids lives in America? ie, terrible things can happen anywhere for no reason (like Newtown), but if you put yourself in the right situations with the right people and properly respect/fear guns, you can limit the amount of risk of loss of life you and your kids face.

5 murders per hundred thousand last year in America. Yeah, it's more than three times that of Canada, and that is a problem. It's in no way enough for me to consider moving for myself or future children. You should also never let your kids swim in the ocean (sharks) or go outside in a storm (lightning strikes) if you are going to fear events this rare.

Come and live in Australia. 

What America needs is more guns. Everyone should have guns, then, when any public shooting takes place it will be minimised because the shooter will get shot quickly. More guns is always the answer to gun crimes

I'm more thinking out loud with where I'm living right now. The neighborhood here on coastal NC is ripe with crack/coke/heroin/pills.

When I'm flash forwarding to my children's future, knowing what's going on here-especially when neither I nor my wife have any emotional ties to this place- please pardon me if I don't want to stick around.

I should have clarified that it wasn't the United States in general, but rather our immediate demographic.

With that said, I still never let my kids swim in the ocean because of sharks, and they are forbidden from going outside because even though it's a minute chance they'll be struck with lightning...there's still a chance.

And I feed them like a mama bird because I don't want them poking their eyes out with silverware.

Yeah my comments weren't applicable to all places in the US. If you are in a bad place and don't feel safe, definitely get somewhere better as soon as is practical. Shouldn't have to leave the country to do it, though. Plenty of places in America that are as safe as anyone can ask for.

It's a knee jerk reaction for me hearing about another shooting by someone who is more than likely in their late teens/early twenties.

It would be more advantageous to move to the moon and hope for oxygen then it would to move out of the country and hope for civility/peace.

Just venting frustration at the end of a very frustrating week.

With that said, it was nowhere near as bad as those who were involved with these incidences. It makes me sick.

I'm the store manager of the Zumiez in Greenville, SC. This is heavy. It really is a tight knit community of people.  My employees are my family. I feel so sorry for the families of the victims and all of the helpless people who had to see this event unfold. I know I am far removed from all of this, but it really struck close to home. I couldn't imagine anything like this happening in my store, and I cannot even comprehend the emotions going on at the time. I hope their friends and family stay strong through this. Man, I am so bummed because of this. 

I'm the store manager of the Zumiez in Greenville, SC. This is heavy. It really is a tight knit community of people.  My employees are my family. I feel so sorry for the families of the victims and all of the helpless people who had to see this event unfold. I know I am far removed from all of this, but it really struck close to home. I couldn't imagine anything like this happening in my store, and I cannot even comprehend the emotions going on at the time. I hope their friends and family stay strong through this. Man, I am so bummed because of this. 

i have family right next door in Easley. been to that place many times.

7/10 of my friends have their conceal license...and to be honest, i feel safer with them having it.

i have one at home for protection. its been pretty rough in my neighborhood lately.