Sent an item with signature confirmation, it got sent back to me. What should I do?

Well, I'll try to make this short. I sold an item on EBay on Dec. 31st. It was a rather expensive item so I sent it vis USPS in a a medium flat rate box with signature confirmation. A few days passed and it said that a notice was left for the person to pick up it up at their local post office.

Well today almost a month later I just received it back in the mail. The guy never picked it up. I messaged him explaining that it got sent back to me and he told me "send it again without signature confirmation." This seems sketchy to me, so my question is what should I do? I don't want to send it again and then have him say he never received it. Plus, I definitely do not want to pay for shipping out of my own pocket for this. This has never happened to me so any advice is appreciated.

What a sketch ball, refund him and sell it again, I wouldn't risk it with this whacko.

Yes, but even better:

Contact him, tell him that is not possible, tell him he has two choices:

1. Pay to have it reshipped with shipping confirmation
  2. Receive a refund of what he paid minus the shipping charge since he cost you that amount

Either way, you're not screwed.

Send it again with signature conformation.

And charge them postage again too

How would I go about doing that? Invoice him on Ebay for the shipping cost or just have him pay me through PayPal? Want to make sure I don't screw myself over.

What a sketch ball, refund him and sell it again, I wouldn't risk it with this whacko.

I was considering doing that too, but I really need the money and don't know how fast I'll be able to sell it again lol.

Another question, lets say I just don't send it again, and he opens a dispute with EBay. Would they make me refund him? I mean, he had more than enough time to go pick it up and I have tracking to prove that. Not saying I want to scam the guy out of his item, just curious about what would happen.

How would I go about doing that? Invoice him on Ebay for the shipping cost or just have him pay me through PayPal? Want to make sure I don't screw myself over.

I was considering doing that too, but I really need the money and don't know how fast I'll be able to sell it again lol.

Another question, lets say I just don't send it again, and he opens a dispute with EBay. Would they make me refund him? I mean, he had more than enough time to go pick it up and I have tracking to prove that. Not saying I want to scam the guy out of his item, just curious about what would happen.

You'd message him through eBay (not your own email, or else eBay won't have a record if he opens a dispute) in regards to invoicing him to ship again, if that's the way you want to go.  If he agrees you'd invoice him through PayPal.

There's no way he'd win a dispute as long as you can provide adequate documentation to eBay.  In fact, it may be cleanest to ask him to pay for shipping again (with signature) and if/when he refuses open a claim against him stating he refuses to pay.  However you might end up out the original shipping cost in that situation.

I personally hate signature confirmation, since I'm always working during the week I'm never home to sign for the packages so they never get delivered. Then again, I know to go to my post office and pick packages up when I get the pick up slips.

If you have tracking I'm not sure why the signature is even necessary at all, unless we we're talking about an item more than $500 or something. In that case though the item should have insurance if it were worth that much, in which case the signature would still be unnecessary.

I personally hate signature confirmation, since I'm always working during the week I'm never home to sign for the packages so they never get delivered. Then again, I know to go to my post office and pick packages up when I get the pick up slips.

If you have tracking I'm not sure why the signature is even necessary at all, unless we we're talking about an item more than $500 or something. In that case though the item should have insurance if it were worth that much, in which case the signature would still be unnecessary.

PayPal seller protection on an item over $250 requires delivery confirmation. Voided if you don't. This dude played it perfectly so far.

I probably coulda bent you over on that $800 item you sold me (still loving it, by the way) that was just sitting on my porch one day. Good thing I'm an honest person...

I probably coulda bent you over on that $800 item you sold me (still loving it, by the way) that was just sitting on my porch one day. Good thing I'm an honest person...

Well, you did ask for no signature confirmation on it, and I was happy to comply because I took out insurance on it through UPS. But I know you're an honest guy anyway. Glad to hear you are still enjoying it :)

My buddy is going through a claim right now through UPS for a package that was supposedly delivered to his "porch," and he never actually received it. UPS is covering the full cost of them item because of the insurance.

ive paid for signature confirmation twice since nov. and both times i never recieved the proof of delivery, i assume both buyers got thier records though, as neither filed a claim. When i went to ask my post office guy about the lack of the signature he just shurged his shoulders and told me to call the post office that delivered it.

ive paid for signature confirmation twice since nov. and both times i never recieved the proof of delivery, i assume both buyers got thier records though, as neither filed a claim. When i went to ask my post office guy about the lack of the signature he just shurged his shoulders and told me to call the post office that delivered it.

I just had to pick up a sig con package at the post office and I had to sign their little digital pad, so you would think any of that info would be available on the net?

Having to sign for a package sucks, but at least you know it is not sitting out for somebody to steal. And the post office is open on Saturdays for pick up. I guess if you're working all the time you could have it sent to your work.

Here is his response: "Really? I asked you not to use usps, why do I need a signature it goes to a locked box"

First of all he never mentioned anything to me about not using usps, I would have gladly arranged to ship it via ups or fed ex had he asked me.

Second, I'm still not sure why he wouldn't have just picked the item up at the post office if his mail goes to a locked box.

Here is his response: "Really? I asked you not to use usps, why do I need a signature it goes to a locked box"

First of all he never mentioned anything to me about not using usps, I would have gladly arranged to ship it via ups or fed ex had he asked me.

Second, I'm still not sure why he wouldn't have just picked the item up at the post office if his mail goes to a locked box.

Ok now it's getting ugly. Don't try to screw him over by not re-delivering ( I know you won't just wanted to answer your question ) And keep it cool on the messages with this guy over eBay. You need to absolutely be "caring" for him on eBay. 

I'd refund him and not deal with him. He obviously doesn't want to comply. If he knew his "locked box" was locked. Why didn't he follow the tracking and make sure he's on it when it's delivered? Since it's locked, obviously a record that is dropped off he will claim he never received it. I had this happen to me for a 10$ record shipped on eBay! I told the mother fucker, "Tracking indicates it was dropped off, so you better check the post office, (and I told him exactly which post office to check and that my post office told me it would open an investigation) the coward responded the next day with, "Oh it was around the mail box blah blah blah." These kids are good these days they're learning the ways of the world and trying to sham people. 

Don't deal with this cat. I'm telling you...

Yea man you must've had nervous mail carriers. They're supposed to enter the number of delivery to get delivery credits which basically tell USPS about their performance. Sometimes it won't scan, so they'll have to enter the code in manually by buttons. Where the heck did you deliver to? NYC? Oakland? (I'm close with my mail deliverer and he gives me the inside scoop! because anon buyers can't be trusted!)

I explained to him very nicely that he hadn't told me he didn't want me to use USPS, and that the shipping option I would be using was stated in my listing. If he asked me to use ups I would have, but I can't read his mind. I then told him the only way I would resend it is with signature confirmation. He replies with:

"If I repay there is no signature required"

This guy gets more sketchy with every reply lol. Should I open a dispute for non payment? I've tried to reason with him but it looks like that won't be happening.

I explained to him very nicely that he hadn't told me he didn't want me to use USPS, and that the shipping option I would be using was stated in my listing. If he asked me to use ups I would have, but I can't read his mind. I then told him the only way I would resend it is with signature confirmation. He replies with:

"If I repay there is no signature required"

This guy gets more sketchy with every reply lol. Should I open a dispute for non payment? I've tried to reason with him but it looks like that won't be happening.

How can you open a dispute for non payment if you've already been paid for the item? What he is refusing is to pay for delivery plus sig confirmation again. You can't open a dispute for that.

You're better off refunding and reselling.

What is going to happen if you dont is one of two things:

1: You resend without the confirmation you want and he either gets it and it ends or he gets it, says he didn't, and gets his money back.

2: He just opens a dispute about non receipt of item and gets his money back anyway.

This guy isn't worth the hassle and while you need the funds, you'll be better off in the long run.

How can you open a dispute for non payment if you've already been paid for the item? What he is refusing is to pay for delivery plus sig confirmation again. You can't open a dispute for that.

You're better off refunding and reselling.

What is going to happen if you dont is one of two things:

1: You resend without the confirmation you want and he either gets it and it ends or he gets it, says he didn't, and gets his money back.

2: He just opens a dispute about non receipt of item and gets his money back anyway.

This guy isn't worth the hassle and while you need the funds, you'll be better off in the long run.

Yeah, I'm probably just going to refund him, he's pretty nuts. Just sucks cause I need the money right now but I don't really want to risk sending it again and him saying he didn't receive it, then I'll be left with nothing. 

may i ask what the item is?

Sure haha, it's an antique book worth a bunch of money.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but don't want to open a new one either.

Those with experience, a buyer opened (and immediately escalated) a paypal dispute 7 days after I posted the package. I sent a proof of shipping together with a tracking number. How likely is it that I'll still lose out?

Also, does calling paypal help at all?

• 4 months later...

Forgot to ever update on what happened, but basically I ended up not refunding the guy because he never got back to me. He never opened a claim and 45 days passed so....I kept the book and his $200 haha. He was a real jerk/nutjob though so I don't really feel bad about it. His fault that he didn't pick it up from the post office in the first place.

Forgot to ever update on what happened, but basically I ended up not refunding the guy because he never got back to me. He never opened a claim and 45 days passed so....I kept the book and his $200 haha. He was a real jerk/nutjob though so I don't really feel bad about it. His fault that he didn't pick it up from the post office in the first place.

Well, you certainly have some good karma coming your way! If I had to guess, you must pride yourself on being honorable and having a lot of integrity.