A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

^^ 2012 - 486

2013 - 961

If I stay injury free this year I should be able to reach my goal, especially with training for my first marathon.

Also, my long run yesterday was a killer.  I wasn't really motivated at all to run, so I had to change up my course.  I run a lot of hills, but this was definitely the most I ran in a single run.

Anyone else find that treadmills slow your pace down? in 2012/13 i ran outside all year, all through winter and kept getting really bad coughs from all the cold air i was sucking in. So in november last year i joined a gym to spend the winter running in there, i like it and it's on the way home from work so it's a great time saver but i'm way slower on it. I usually run 10k in about 46-48 mins and i'm no where close to that even on zero gradient, if i push the speed up to around what i'd do outdoors, i get really tired after 10 mins. Anyone else noticed this? My friend is an amazing runner (10km in 40 mins) and finds the exact same thing. Anyway, i've got about a month left until i'm going to look at getting out of my membership as it's getting warmer, i'll be interested to see what my times are like. 

Aside: running fucking rules, i took it up as i play football (soccer) twice a week in midfield and i needed to be fitter, three years later and i can literally run opponents into the ground over the course of a match. Taking it up was the best thing i ever did!

Picked up a pair of Brookes Glycerin 11s. I'll be taking them out for their maiden voyage tomorrow.

I just got a pair of Brooks Transcends a couple weeks ago and absolutely love them!  My last two pairs of running shoes were Brooks Adrenaline's, and they were great as I need a good supportive shoe, but I had been interested in something with a little more cushion.  Transcends were just released last month so I figured I'd give em a shot.  On my first run with them I immediately noticed a difference, more support than the Adrenaline's and just as cushiony as Pure Flows.

They're brand new so you won't find any deals anywhere, but if you want to try a good shoe and don't mind paying for what you get, I'd highly recommend them.

7.7 miles last night in 65 minutes then turned around with a nice 5 miles at 7:55 pace today. I did a track workout today which was interesting. The cushion on the surface felt great but going in circles was miserable. I did like knowing where my 400m mark was since I did this in interval form at 10x800. 400 at about 8minute pace followed by 400 at 7:30ish pace. Took 30 seconds of easy work between each 800. 

Weather really motivated me today to get back out less than 12 hours after a long run. 

Ran an 8k (?) this morning, my friend's work was the sponsor for it so we didn't have to pay, which was cool.  We finished pretty strong at 41:00 even, but it was just another training run for our big 5k next Saturday.  Hopefully next week I'll be posting with my new PR time!

Goodluck with setting a PR today (if you haven't run it already haha) Let us know how it goes!

7.7 miles last night in 65 minutes then turned around with a nice 5 miles at 7:55 pace today. I did a track workout today which was interesting. The cushion on the surface felt great but going in circles was miserable. I did like knowing where my 400m mark was since I did this in interval form at 10x800. 400 at about 8minute pace followed by 400 at 7:30ish pace. Took 30 seconds of easy work between each 800. 

Weather really motivated me today to get back out less than 12 hours after a long run. 

Awesome dude! it is super nice out today. My wife is out of town and I have the girls today so I won't be able to get out and run, I just hope it's this nice tomorrow when I do get out for a run.

Goodluck with setting a PR today (if you haven't run it already haha) Let us know how it goes!

Thanks dude, my previous PR was 24:39 so today I was shooting for 24:30 and that was the EXACT time I crossed the finish line at!  

My friend Rebecca didn't quite make her PR, but she was close.  Now that I made my goal I can run directly with her next time and push her a little harder.  We both still did good enough for 2nd place in our age groups though and won these sweet green water bottles!

10015645_753126921366424_987459878_n_zps

Congrats man. Very cool. 

I was gonna double up on my runs today but had to admit that my damaged knee is sore so I'm here icing it and planning tomorrows workout instead. 

Keep me up on how people like the different Brooks models. I was planning to get a pair next time I am offered a sale to give them a shot. I have grown to prefer my Asics Gel Excel 33-2s over my Nike Free Run 5s but they are a bit loose around the ankle so I'm still looking for my race day sneaker. 

Did my first 7k with about 12k other people today. I'm slow as mud (9:32/mile) but I'm old too.

That's the beauty of running, the number of people actually competing to win is very small. Most people are out there doing their own thing, having fun and trying to better themselves or beat a PR. Slow as mud is still better than sitting on the couch! haha

Thanks dude, my previous PR was 24:39 so today I was shooting for 24:30 and that was the EXACT time I crossed the finish line at!  

My friend Rebecca didn't quite make her PR, but she was close.  Now that I made my goal I can run directly with her next time and push her a little harder.  We both still did good enough for 2nd place in our age groups though and won these sweet green water bottles!

Awesome man, congrats! But also, screw you haha totally jealous seeing the beach and everyone in shorts...

Oh and one more post (sorry haha) Way to go Chris! I don't know if you raced a half today or just ran that distance, but you killed that 13 miles today man!

Hey, thank ya! Wasn't a real race, but it was my first time running that distance. I feel good, a little achy in the knees but I'll be ready to go again in a day or two:)

Damn, and Josh ran a half marathon distance yesterday at almost the exact same pace as you haha nice!

Look up his half marathon distance from two weeks ago! Within .02 miles and 1 second of my time. Doesn't get much closer than that.

Wish I was local to him. It seems like we're pretty damn similar pace wise. 

Look up his half marathon distance from two weeks ago! Within .02 miles and 1 second of my time. Doesn't get much closer than that.

Wish I was local to him. It seems like we're pretty damn similar pace wise. 

Wow, that's crazy! yeah that would be sweet, but you're close enough to run a race together somewhere...haha

On a whim I entered the lottery for the NYC Marathon. I figure it's like a 10% shot to get in and it isn't until November. My last Triathlon right now is September 18 so I have enough time to train, recover and train some more. For me it's often a motivation factor so seeing it on the calendar would get me motivated. 

Hit a nice easy recovery run last night - 4.6 miles at 40 minutes. Now to take a couple days off to swim and rest and back to it Thursday. 

Someone get me some nicer weather too while you're at it. This is awful.