A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

**Race Report**

Since this course is a bitch, my goal going in was to beat my time from last year (21.45) and gauge my fitness.  1st 1/3 of a mile is pretty much downhill, I didn't start near the front cause I didn't want to go out to fast.  After, that the course decides to go uphill for the next mile and a quarter or half(it is a soul sucker) I probably ran up this hill faster then I should have.  The last mile is mostly downhill until you have to climb back up the hill to the beginning.  Another guy and me were pacing off each other until that last hill, where I pushed past him to the finish.  I am not sure of my official time, but according to my watch I finished in 20:00.  I think the official time will be slower than that, but I am pretty stoked with that time, especially since my PR is 20:00.  I finished 3rd overall and got a thing of daffodils and wine basket from a local winery.  

This race is one of my favorites because of how well it is organized.  Since it during the evening the local Italian joint caters it,so that is also a plus.

No post race pics with my winnings, because I went solo.  Next one I should have some buddies running it.

Congrats on the fine time man. Regardless of the course I'd kill for 5k at that pace. 

I decided today is my official start of training for NYC Marathon - after my strength training session (I do this pre-triathlon season for longevity) I hit 8 miles in 65 minutes and change. 

Keep it up out there gang. 

Realistic: sub 4 hours my first time. Im by no means fast. So goal is really to finish. I made a decision to focus on personal bests in triathlon and simply enjoy challenging myself without time goals in running. I've had to admit my injury history will never allow me to be a fast runner no matter how hard I train. We will see. I've been in training almost all winter so I am not starting cold. In the past year I've taken off two 2 week periods from all training. So I know I am positioned to do this. If I am in 70.3 shape then I see the mental aspect of marathon being my biggest obstacle. That and making the right mix for my ipod that day.

I've been reading up. They say that if you are doing 30 miles a week then you are on the low end of training. BUT they say if you are doing other cardio work then you are actually in great shape. Considering I do a lot of other cardio work then I'm actually further ahead of the curve. Further Jack Daniels said that when starting your training six months out that if you are doing a half our comfortably for each run then you can be ready. Well, I use 35 minutes as my baseline for running. I did 65 minutes last night no problem. I'm not running the marathon tomorrow so with my swimming and biking I'm in a fine space to really begin. 

I think the first steps for me is to increase my baseline run to 40 minutes. Target at least 30 miles a week. Run a solid hour mid week and do my longer run on the weekend. I also will be doing 1-2 recovery runs and at least one 4-5 mile track workout for speedwork. In good news next week is my first track workout so it synced up right. I'll be increasing accordingly. Keeping up with the other exercise. Come June my wife is done teaching and then I'll really take a leap in my volume since I'll be able to do two-a-day workouts 7 days a week if I want. As it is right now I only do two-a-days on Tuesday and sometimes on Saturday or Sunday. 

Anyway, I'm studying up to build the right plan. It's kind of fun to have something new to read. I am a bit worried that the triathlon is a conflict of interest BUT I see a lot of triathletes running marathons so I'll be seeking some personal advise as well. 

Looks to me like you are doing everything right and smart. But, really how would I know.  There are a lot of good books out there that give a lot of good information.  Most of my runs are easy runs, a speedwork day, and a long run.  Most important thing is to just bump up that mileage.  My mileage  in the 30s with the stupid weather, so I'll hopefully be able to bump it up into the 40s and 50s. 

I'm learning. I'm going to run into an issue with the 70.3 and Marathon 7 weeks apart. I'm going to have to hold faith that all the swimming and biking I'm doing will help. I can say from experience that the reverse is true: increased running has improved my stamina in the other sports. So we will see. Tons of time. As long as I am smart about it I'll be ready. 

I'm debating between at Pfitzinger or Higdon book to help me structure my plan. 

Well, it's tame now. 6-10 hours a week. In June I step it up huge since I get mornings too. That's when I cross into the more obsessive side of the sport. There are people who train 18-22 hours a week and I look at them as insane. There are people that never even try to swim before taking on a race and I see them as insane as well. I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I'm in a phase where I'm going for consistency and frequency and it's totally been paying off. 

Ha ha thanks, official time was posted I actually finished 20:06.

The Gentleman I would read as much as I could.  I actually need to pick a Pfitzinger book.  I  recommend the Daniel's Running Formula book and Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon by Hudson and Fitzgerald.  (You) only faster by McMillan is also a good read.  It is a step by step book on making your own running plan that would benefit you the best.

Unlocked. Please report spammers, we'll be able to respond to them faster.

Thanks dude! I sent you a PM about it, but wasn't sure if that was the right way to go about everything. And I honestly never noticed the report button down there until looking for it after you mentioned it haha sorry, but now I know. thanks again!