Vegetarian / Vegan Foods Thread

There's a donut shop that has really good donuts, but I've never tried their vegan ones. Do vegan confections taste the same as ones with real milk and butter?

There's a donut shop that has really good donuts, but I've never tried their vegan ones. Do vegan confections taste the same as ones with real milk and butter?

i'm not even vegan but i bake vegan as much as i can. definitely better, if you can believe it. even my parents like it more haha.

It is a little bit expensive (you can probably find it as a free PDF online somewhere though) but the Veganomicon is an unbelievable cookbook. There's another good cookbook called "Don't Feed The Bears" that I highly recommend. There's also a bunch of great blogs for vegetarian and vegan foods:

on reddit r/vegan is good

http://www.theppk.com/

http://thugkitchen.com/

Vegan baking is better in every way, taste, morality, everything. 

I also like to look through menus of vegetarian and vegan food restaurants online for new ideas. These guys make amazing food with interesting combinations. I like all the warm stuff they make and you can copy it without needing to know how much of what goes in. You can just guess! http://www.lifealive.com/menu.html

Never heard of it! Are they available at grocery stores?

Yeah they have pre-packaged pizzas, burritos, pot pies, soups, desserts, all sorts of good shit! Everything is vegetarian and there is lots of vegan stuff!

http://www.amys.com/products

edit: I've found their stuff in various places in different grocery stores. Near where ever they keep the tofu, or veggie burgers, or soy meats, or gluten free areas. Not sure where you'll find them but all of those places are good to check if any or all of those things are sold in different areas of the store!

Amy's is amazing, but a little pricey for the amount that you get. They are a treat for me.

Annie Chun's makes some vegan soups. The miso one is good, but I never put the noodles in because that's just weird. I've found them at Whole Foods and Wal-mart.

Most Thomas Bagels are vegan. I nom on the Everything Bagels a lot and during season the pumpkin bagels are amazing.

If you check Zatarans rice box meals for ingredients, you can find veg*n ones, which I think is most. Dirty rice and red beans and rice are good to go.

I've heard good things about zucchini/squash spaghetti, but I haven't tried to make it.

If you miss regular sandwiches at all, get the Peppered Tofurkey slices

Vegan baking is awesome, and sooooo easy. You can easily find recipes with a quick search.

such a lengthy post, sorry!

I'd advise buying a slower cooker.  You can make a ton of good stuff with minimal effort.

http://ohmyveggies.com/50-vegetarian-slow-cooker-recipes/

What are the limitations you're finding?

I'm a busy college student, so usually I only find the time to go to del taco and get a veggie burrito, or when I'm at home I eat rice and peas or corn. That's pretty much my diet. I don't miss meat very much, but it's kind of boring for me to eat those same things. I really like the Amy's Kitchen suggestion that sounds fast and easy to make. I don't have much money to buy a slowcooker, but my aunt has made some really good stews with one. I'll have my girlfriend bake me vegan pastries this weekend. 

I'm a busy college student, so usually I only find the time to go to del taco and get a veggie burrito, or when I'm at home I eat rice and peas or corn. That's pretty much my diet. I don't miss meat very much, but it's kind of boring for me to eat those same things. I really like the Amy's Kitchen suggestion that sounds fast and easy to make. I don't have much money to buy a slowcooker, but my aunt has made some really good stews with one. I'll have my girlfriend bake me vegan pastries this weekend. 

I gotcha.  I've definitely lived off of beans and rice before, it does get a little monotonous.  Pasta is easy and fairly quick.  I work long shifts and don't really have time to cook during my week, so I usually make a bunch of food for the week on one of my days off.  It takes me a few hours that one day, but then I don't have to worry about doing it when I'm busy.  Maybe that would work for you?

Slow cookers are pretty cheap by the way.  You can get a small one of Amazon for $20 or less.  I think I have a 5 quart that was about $30.  That and a blender and you're golden!

Since you're on a time crunch, sandwiches and wraps might be a good option.  Good luck!

Veggie Grill.

Veggie Grill is awesome!  They just opened up a third one here.

I gotcha.  I've definitely lived off of beans and rice before, it does get a little monotonous.  Pasta is easy and fairly quick.  I work long shifts and don't really have time to cook during my week, so I usually make a bunch of food for the week on one of my days off.  It takes me a few hours that one day, but then I don't have to worry about doing it when I'm busy.  Maybe that would work for you?

Slow cookers are pretty cheap by the way.  You can get a small one of Amazon for $20 or less.  I think I have a 5 quart that was about $30.  That and a blender and you're golden!

Since you're on a time crunch, sandwiches and wraps might be a good option.  Good luck!

Veggie Grill is awesome!  They just opened up a third one here.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions! 

Yeah I've been to veggie grill and it's good! But a bit on the expensive side for me. 

I'd rather go to OIive Garden and have endless salad.

sounds like you need more protein in your diet! (just judging by what you posted here)

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/82470-any-vegansvegetarians-here/page-6?hl=vegan#entry1396470

here is the link to the other post.  It's got a ton of interesting stuff ( plus I posted a few recipes ).

I'm not a fan of annies.  you get very little for what you pay.

trader joes and whole foods carry a ton of stuff - and daiya is the best vegan cheese.

I made a buffalo chicken mac n cheese with bacon broccoli and peas recently if anyone wants a recipe!

My advice is to try to plan ahead and block some time to make a large meal that you can eat throughout the week. Things like stir-fry and chili are super easy to make, especially with the millions of recipes available across the internet (and both of those things can change depending on what ingredients you have to work with). If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have totally bangin' soy chorizo that's great in just about anything (it's already seasoned and cooks quickly so you can add it in all sorts of things), and their tempeh and tofu are really cheap. Also, try to make sure you're getting plenty of protein from beans and oats (and quinoa if you can afford it), not just soy.

As for desserts, the only thing I can offer from first-hand experience is you can substitute an egg for 1/4 cup of applesauce in baked goods such as brownies. I read somewhere not to substitute more than two eggs, and have not tried that.

trader joes and whole foods carry a ton of stuff - and daiya is the best vegan cheese.

Daiya is good.  I want to try Teese, but I haven't seen it here.  I want to say my vegan pizza place uses it, but I'm not completely sure.  The biggest downside of vegan cheese is that it's so damn expensive.