So the theory is that at some point in pre-production the writer, director, production, costume and art departments made a conscious decision that even mundane set dressings need to have some significance or easter eggs. They then went to great lengths to actually shoot these things, edit them for continuity and otherwise ensure their plan with on track. 

But they also agreed to deny or all of this to anyone? In the event that someone spotted something they are instructed to lie, but only in certain instances? 

Maybe this is how the show got its name?

So by your sarcasm, your theory is that all these easter eggs/symbols/clues are all just some big coincidence?  Marty's daughter just happened to arrange five dolls in a gang-bang of a female doll, just happened to have the same spiral as Audrey's artwork that shows up numerous other times, shoot a disposable scene of Rust driving with a yellow crown appearing right behind his head, and all the others are just coincidences they had no intention of putting in the show?

Also, I'm not in the film industry, but I would venture a guess that yes, the writer, director, producers, set designers, costume designers and other staff do in fact have pre-production meeting in which they discuss the show and make sure they are all on the same page so there is some level of consistency in the series.

Nevermind. You're obviously looking to disagree.

Does what I say not make sense though?  I've never seen a TV show that stars a Hollywood heavyweight that literally just won an Oscar for Best Actor.  The script had to be damn good.  The director had to be damn good.  The PAY had to be damn good.  HBO wasn't gonna give MM a big chunk of money for something they thought was gonna flop.

Oh and I'm completely ignoring Woody too while making this point.  Isn't he in those huge Hollywood production Hunger Games movies?

Yeah but man, finding some easter eggs or foreshadowed elements is perfectly reasonable. I'm sure they were a bunch that were purposefully included. At the same time, that isn't the same as going fucking hog wild by subjecting everything on screen, inanimate and animate, to intense scrutiny. No one can prepare for that, or at the very least, preparing for it would be time and cost prohibitive. 

If the people who made the show said something was an oversight, I tend to believe them.

Yeah but man, finding some easter eggs or foreshadowed elements is perfectly reasonable. I'm sure they were a bunch that were purposefully included. At the same time, that isn't the same as going fucking hog wild by subjecting everything on screen, inanimate and animate, to intense scrutiny. No one can prepare for that, or at the very least, preparing for it would be time and cost prohibitive. 

If the people who made the show said something was an oversight, I tend to believe them.

I can accept an oversight or two on their end.  That said, there were way too many coincidences to make everything an oversight.

So by your sarcasm, your theory is that all these easter eggs/symbols/clues are all just some big coincidence?  Marty's daughter just happened to arrange five dolls in a gang-bang of a female doll, just happened to have the same spiral as Audrey's artwork that shows up numerous other times, shoot a disposable scene of Rust driving with a yellow crown appearing right behind his head, and all the others are just coincidences they had no intention of putting in the show?

Also, I'm not in the film industry, but I would venture a guess that yes, the writer, director, producers, set designers, costume designers and other staff do in fact have pre-production meeting in which they discuss the show and make sure they are all on the same page so there is some level of consistency in the series.

I think some of them, maybe even many,  are absolutely coincidences. Some unplanned but turn out to be a "happy accident" you go with it. Other times, you don't notice until it is too late. Sometime you don't see the symbolism because you're so close to it and already know the answer so it doesn't strike you as being particular noteworthy.

I'm not spoiling for a fight or nothing so I'm gonna back away slowly here. 

My guess is that they predicted that nobody would be talking about a TV show in which they decided to cast a couple Hollywood A-listers on a network that is acclaimed for having some of the best written shows in TV history.

I hadn't seen any advertising but I was scrolling through hbo go and show the preview and who the lead actors were and I thought this would be a huge show.

• 4 months later...

okay supposedly rumors that vince vaughn will be in the next season as a bad guy. what the fuck. he's okay at best when he plays the same role in every film but please i hope this isn't real

Even if it is true, look at the quality of content HBO is producing today. Look at every character cast for every role. They know how to cast these characters and I would expect nothing less than a complete transformation from his typical role. They have more than earned my trust, that's for sure.

I'm not sure I can take the show seriously again if Vaughn is a villain. Love the guy as a comedic actor but beyond that, it's a big stretch. I was really hoping for the Brad Pitt rumor to happen. Sounds like Collin Farrell is the newest most likely rumor. Not a fan but I can see it. Honestly, the fact that their dragging out the casting rumors is wearing thin. Makes me actually think the script and story is going to suck and they're just leaning on good acting.

Anyone downplaying Vince Vaughn's ability to play a villain or do something non-comedic needs to check out "Clay Pigeons" and "Return to Paradise". Dude's a great actor who's done a lot of crap comedies.

Agreed. I'm actually still skeptical myself, but everytime i see people saying "X can't be a bad guy! worst idea ever!" I think of Heath Ledger.

I'm not sure I can take the show seriously again if Vaughn is a villain. Love the guy as a comedic actor but beyond that, it's a big stretch. I was really hoping for the Brad Pitt rumor to happen. Sounds like Collin Farrell is the newest most likely rumor. Not a fan but I can see it. Honestly, the fact that their dragging out the casting rumors is wearing thin. Makes me actually think the script and story is going to suck and they're just leaning on good acting.

Farrell's name was being kicked around long before Vaughn's

I'm not sure I can take the show seriously again if Vaughn is a villain. Love the guy as a comedic actor but beyond that, it's a big stretch. I was really hoping for the Brad Pitt rumor to happen. Sounds like Collin Farrell is the newest most likely rumor. Not a fan but I can see it. Honestly, the fact that their dragging out the casting rumors is wearing thin. Makes me actually think the script and story is going to suck and they're just leaning on good acting.

HBO isn't going to announce who's staring in it until they have contracts finalized, which can take a while. They're not the ones filling up the rumor mill with casting "news".

I feel like people would have had the same freakout about McC if he had been cast two years earlier. I'm anxious to see if Nic P. can reproduce but the man seems to take this his shot seriously and has a fuckton of control after the success last season.

I'm going to give HBO and him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Psycho, Clay Pigeons, Disturbing Behavior. I knew him first as a dark villain. He was pretty good at it too.