We are being led to believe the governor of Louisiana is involved. Definitely some swamp people involved but wouldn't count anyone out due to social status.

Sorry, I meant all of the victims as of yet have been underprivileged women and children from very poor families, not the guys involved. So it's hard for me to see someone like Maggie being a victim when she was the daughter of a well known cop. Who knows exactly who and how many guys are in on it. "The alligators are swimming around us and we don't know that they're there." 

Seems mower man is definitely the scarface man/spaghetti monster. Someone mentioned it earlier, but the green ears thing came up and the first time we see him he's wearing his green earmuffs. Not hard to believe he was mowing an area, saw the girl on her own, chased her a bit thru the woods. Scars, green ears, it's all there. 

Everyone who had seen the scarface man all said he was fucking a weird dude. No doubt in my mind he's doing the killing. He'd be the ideal candidate to scope out private locations. Send him out to mow and shit for an afternoon. No one comes round to the sound of a mower you're probably in the clear to do your ritual. 

Still feel like Grandpa is involved and it relates to Marty's daughter in some capacity. She's just come up too many times for it to not be the case. 

Can't wait for next sunday.

Yep. The show has become less of a "whodunit" (which I was enjoying).  The True Detective thing is less about figuring out how did it, but devoting yourself to the job, paying your "debts" for missing something you shouldn't have, and giving everything to the pursuit of "justice", even as vigilantes.

They've said their goodbyes (they being Marty... Rust has been ready to die for 15+ years.).  They're going out in a blaze of glory killing as many of these dudes as they can.

Looking forward to it.

Yep. The show has become less of a "whodunit" (which I was enjoying).  The True Detective thing is less about figuring out how did it, but devoting yourself to the job, paying your "debts" for missing something you shouldn't have, and giving everything to the pursuit of "justice", even as vigilantes.

They've said their goodbyes (they being Marty... Rust has been ready to die for 15+ years.).  They're going out in a blaze of glory killing as many of these dudes as they can.

Looking forward to it.

When you think about it, even if they catch the guys who do it, all evidence is useless because of all the illegal methods they went to to obtain it. It's really all just about finishing the job at this point.

When you think about it, even if they catch the guys who do it, all evidence is useless because of all the illegal methods they went to to obtain it. It's really all just about finishing the job at this point.

Yeah exactly. All of the evidence is in-admissible and completely illegal.  They also can't/won't (pick one or more) include the police.  There's only one place this is going, vigilante justice.

Plus, Marty saying goodbye, and the scene on the boat. I mean... there's no coming back or covering for that. That guy is dead, and there will be more.

Yeah exactly. All of the evidence is in-admissible and completely illegal.  They also can't/won't (pick one or more) include the police.  There's only one place this is going, vigilante justice.

Plus, Marty saying goodbye, and the scene on the boat. I mean... there's no coming back or covering for that. That guy is dead, and there will be more.

I hope they show him getting hooked up to the jumper cables.  Just seems like it would be so satisfying to watch a scumbag like that get fried.  

I will be very interested to see how this series holds up when it is all over.  Don't get me wrong, I've really enjoyed it and there are some really interesting sections, but it we're being honest, a lot of the hype has been built around theories that are not only never going to come true, but that were very likely never overtly intended by the creators.  For instance, if, at the end, Hart's daughter and father in law don't figure into it at all (let alone his wife), Hart and Cohle both live, there's no call back to Cohle' daughter, and it's pretty much the Tuttle conspiracy it appeared to be since episode two, is it still going to be held in the same regard? Should it be?  For instance, the now-legendary tracking shot was very impressive, but what was the point?  It wasn't important to the story (and looking back it's like it was from a different show altogether), and seems, when I look back on it, like a fancy dunk at the end of a blow-out.  I'm rambling and should probably stop writing now.

I will be very interested to see how this series holds up when it is all over.  Don't get me wrong, I've really enjoyed it and there are some really interesting sections, but it we're being honest, a lot of the hype has been built around theories that are not only never going to come true, but that were very likely never overtly intended by the creators.  For instance, if, at the end, Hart's daughter and father in law don't figure into it at all (let alone his wife), Hart and Cohle both live, there's no call back to Cohle' daughter, and it's pretty much the Tuttle conspiracy it appeared to be since episode two, is it still going to be held in the same regard? Should it be?  For instance, the now-legendary tracking shot was very impressive, but what was the point?  It wasn't important to the story (and looking back it's like it was from a different show altogether), and seems, when I look back on it, like a fancy dunk at the end of a blow-out.  I'm rambling and should probably stop writing now.

No you are pretty much right on.  If the ending is boring and predictable, it will definitely take away from how I view the show.  Won't change the fact that I enjoyed watching it week to week as it aired, but will ruin the re-watch-ability of the season.

No you are pretty much right on.  If the ending is boring and predictable, it will definitely take away from how I view the show.  Won't change the fact that I enjoyed watching it week to week as it aired, but will ruin the re-watch-ability of the season.

I'm 100% with what you just said.

If it tried to tie every little detail in together at the end I would think less of the show. Maybe that's just me, but this show has had a very realistic feel to it, instead of most shows where murders are solved in a week. There have never been easy answers given, so wrapping everything up and tying it all in together seems way too easy and way too fake.

If you want to talk about incredibly deep, mysterious shows that biffed on the ending, the conversation starts with Lost.

But I think a mystery a season will lead to "tighter" resolution at the end, versus a multi-season story arc. I really have no worries that it will fall on it's face.

Spoilered to prevent any lost giveaways:

There was all kinds of mysteries through the initial seasons that contributed nothing to the final ending -- what is the dharma initiative? Why was there a polar bear on the island? Who are the others? What is the smoke monster? etc...

The big reveal was that they were in a sort of purgatory/limbo, which was frequently thrown out there as a guess to the whole mystery. How did any of the details listed above in any way move the story towards that end? I loved Lost throughout most of it, but I just felt like they crafted this really awesome web of mysteries, then copped out at the end without really explaining much and tying everything up.

It's not far off from the cliche "it was all a dream" way of ending a show, which is pretty stale and weak. I wouldn't go that far with it, but yeah, I thought Lost was a great show with a "meh" ending.

Just went back and started watching this from the start to get ready for the finale. I had completely forgotten about the very first shot of the whole series -- it only lasts a few seconds -- which is an unidentified person lighting one of the "devil catchers" on fire, then a whole field going up in flames. I'm wondering if that's where this is all leading, and if it'll also be the very last shot of the season.

Regardless, this has been a fun ride, and I agree with thebiglebowski -- it's been nice knowing that things will be wrapped up in 8 episodes, rather than going from season to season, flying by the seat of their pants (Oceanic 815 style) and making it up as they go along.

Can't wait to see how they switch things up for next season, and who they cast. No matter how the story shakes out in the finale, it's gonna be really, really tough to top this season's performances.

Spoilered to prevent any lost giveaways:

There was all kinds of mysteries through the initial seasons that contributed nothing to the final ending -- what is the dharma initiative? Why was there a polar bear on the island? Who are the others? What is the smoke monster? etc...

The big reveal was that they were in a sort of purgatory/limbo, which was frequently thrown out there as a guess to the whole mystery. How did any of the details listed above in any way move the story towards that end? I loved Lost throughout most of it, but I just felt like they crafted this really awesome web of mysteries, then copped out at the end without really explaining much and tying everything up.

It's not far off from the cliche "it was all a dream" way of ending a show, which is pretty stale and weak. I wouldn't go that far with it, but yeah, I thought Lost was a great show with a "meh" ending.

The whole "purgatory" thing only applied to the flash-sideways in the sixth season. Everything actually happened IRL (or at least IRL in the context of the show. I know a lot of people were confused by that. Maybe it's cus I was/am such a big fanboy of Lost, but it seemed pretty obvious to me.

The whole "purgatory" thing only applied to the flash-sideways in the sixth season. Everything actually happened IRL (or at least IRL in the context of the show. I know a lot of people were confused by that. Maybe it's cus I was/am such a big fanboy of Lost, but it seemed pretty obvious to me.

Sorry to those not interested in Lost who think thread is being bumped for TD but whatever:

How could the smoke monster have been "real life?" If the Dharma Initiative was real, then what the hell was it? Why were there polar bears on the island? Why was there a ship loaded with dynamite? What about the time travel? The submarine? I could go on and on with details that don't fit into this theory.

I could easily see it being the case that the plane crashed, they were stuck on a remote island for a couple days/weeks, were rescued, and when they died it was the place their minds returned to. Fine with that part. But that doesn't explain all the mysteries that they built up on the island (at least, in a realistic way). And even if some of these things really did happen in their time on the island (say there was a submarine there for some strange reason), they still never explained wtf was going on with the island that they landed on in a way that closed all the loops.

"they were really on the island" still seems like writers waving their hands at the end of the show without really explaining why so many things happened the way they did.

I don't think True Detective will end this way at all. They don't leave the viewers with these "wtf is going on" moments (the possibilities are bounded....just a question of who is behind it) so they don't really have the risk of leaving a lot unexplained (assuming the ending is the way we expect it to be).

Sorry to those not interested in Lost who think thread is being bumped for TD but whatever:

How could the smoke monster have been "real life?" If the Dharma Initiative was real, then what the hell was it? Why were there polar bears on the island? Why was there a ship loaded with dynamite? What about the time travel? The submarine? I could go on and on with details that don't fit into this theory.

I could easily see it being the case that the plane crashed, they were stuck on a remote island for a couple days/weeks, were rescued, and when they died it was the place their minds returned to. Fine with that part. But that doesn't explain all the mysteries that they built up on the island (at least, in a realistic way). And even if some of these things really did happen in their time on the island (say there was a submarine there for some strange reason), they still never explained wtf was going on with the island that they landed on in a way that closed all the loops.

"they were really on the island" still seems like writers waving their hands at the end of the show without really explaining why so many things happened the way they did.

I don't think True Detective will end this way at all. They don't leave the viewers with these "wtf is going on" moments (the possibilities are bounded....just a question of who is behind it) so they don't really have the risk of leaving a lot unexplained (assuming the ending is the way we expect it to be).

There were still tons of supernatural and sci-fi elements (i.e. smoke monster, time travel) but all of that "happened". The whole point of the purgatory/flash sideways was to signify that after you die you spend your afterlife (or move on to it) with the people who meant the most to you. I get that some people don't like the religious part or buy that the characters were the most important people to each other, but whatever.

Here's a good article about the Dharma Initiative: http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/DHARMA_Initiative. Basically a bunch of hippy scientists found this island with mysterious properties and got someone to fund them doing experiments and testing there. The polar bears were part of that testing on the Hydra where they did most of the animal experiments. The Dharma Initiative was killed off by Ben and their facilities were inhabited by the Others, which are basically just people that Jacob brought previously to the island just like he did the plane crash survivors.

Again I've watched this show through a ton of times, so I get that things that seem obvious to me aren't obvious to everyone else. But I agree that there is no way True Detective ends anything like that.

I've read the articles too (for the most part) and watched the whole show (not sure if I will go back again and watch or not).

We can agree to disagree. I would just point out that most of what you just said is merely summarizing the plot with it's loose connections, but you still didn't close the loop. Saying things are supernatural with no further explanation is an example of what I would call a loose ending to a mystery. It's an ending, yeah, Just not what I was hoping for out of a show that seemed that meticulously laid out up to the last season or two.

not saying you are one of these people, but it upsets me that some people still think that it was purgatory and the island was purgatory after christian shephard spelt it out in the church scene with jack.  we had flashbacks, realtime, flashfowards, time-travel, then flash-sideways aka what happens after death.  which i thought was an extremely beautiful way to close the story.

most all of your questions can be answered at lostpedia.  a lot of things were implied and subtly mentioned, however; and unfortunately our imaginations and theories were better than some of the explanations.   thats what made the show so enjoyable was creating those theories and looking for eastereggs and what not.  

in my opinion most of the major questions were answered and many of the small mysteries were answered too.