Tell your funny 'Vinyl Noob' story

So, before I was in to collecting vinyl. What I used to do was get a record from each band I had seen live. And I would display them on the wall. And since I had no intention on playing them, duct tape seemed like an okay thing. 

There was a Jimmy Eat World Futures first press on that wall, There was a Four Year Strong Rise or Die trying on that wall, needless to say all of them were ruined. I was a fool. 

I didn't know about the pitch setting on my first table which I bought second hand. I threw on one of my favourite records and it just sounded different (slower but not out of place slow), so I thought... this sounds different from the CD, they must've mixed it slower for the vinyl release!

GTFO.png

All Deathwish releases become crushing doom albums when they're played at 33 1/3.

All my vinyl noob things are small things like I would receive records with defects that I would now shoot off an email to the label. I would also buy records right away off eBay instead of checking a more reasonable place (label, distro, band's site).

I would also buy records right away off eBay instead of checking a more reasonable place (label, distro, band's site).

Funny thing about this, most of us are probably guilty. Not so much off ebay, but in a store. I have an iPhone, so I try to look up everything, but the web just seems to not have as much info as things on my desktop. So I buy something thinking it's an original and turns out to be a repress because info is limited and pictures are a lot smaller.

I've got two AWESOME ones.

First, my Crosley had a wobbly platter, so I thought it would be a good idea to jam a cloth in between the platter and the casing of the player. The gears that spin the platter caught on to the cloth and pulled the "stylus" across the record, destroying it.

Second, my first record was "No Devolucion" by Thursday. It has a side D etching. I couldn't understand why it wouldn't play.

Awesome.

I did this with one of my La Dispute records (whichever album had the pressing with the etched d-side)  

never again...

Funny thing about this, most of us are probably guilty. Not so much off ebay, but in a store. I have an iPhone, so I try to look up everything, but the web just seems to not have as much info as things on my desktop. So I buy something thinking it's an original and turns out to be a repress because info is limited and pictures are a lot smaller.

I know what you mean. I'm the guy that stands in one corner of the record shop I go to (because that one corner has the best reception) and look up the records I'm looking to buy to see what pressings they are and/or if the price is fair. They probably make fun of me.

I know what you mean. I'm the guy that stands in one corner of the record shop I go to (because that one corner has the best reception) and look up the records I'm looking to buy to see what pressings they are and/or if the price is fair. They probably make fun of me.

Ain't a damn thing wrong with knowing the value of a dollar ;)

Not a noob story, since it just happened, but made me feel like a noob.  Been after The Wrens albums "The Meadowlands" for a while, but never see it on ebay or discogs, and the prices I've seen along with the scarcity of seeing it available suggested to me that it was way out of print and hard to find.  Got desperate one night and decided to search the web for copies and it urns out the Wrens' merch store has it in stock and I just got  the shipping notice, so I guess it's legit (http://wrens.kungfustore.com/products/2796-the-meadowlands-vinyl-lp-wrn03).  Felt pretty silly, but happy ending!

• 1 month later...

Bumping this because I wanted to share something I just remembered...

When I first joined VC, I was reading a Fall Out Boy thread, and Travis kept commenting on it. And I thought Travis was the drummer of Fall Out Boy because I couldn't remember Andy's name (Andy kinda looks like a Travis, doesn't he?). I figured that him being a member of FOB was the only way he could know so much about the upcoming "From Under The Cork Tree" repress...

Bumping this because I wanted to share something I just remembered...

When I first joined VC, I was reading a Fall Out Boy thread, and Travis kept commenting on it. And I thought Travis was the drummer of Fall Out Boy because I couldn't remember Andy's name (Andy kinda looks like a Travis, doesn't he?). I figured that him being a member of FOB was the only way he could know so much about the upcoming "From Under The Cork Tree" repress...

Bahahahah that's fucking great

Btw Andy totally looks like a Travis