The thread formerly known as 'ty segall'

Yes there is, a very large one.

I don't have statistics on the "majority" but I wouldn't jump to say the majority do. It could just be biased off what I buy, but I would say it's pretty 50/50 on what I get that has digital with it. Plus if you normally get something for free as a bonus from one company it's silly to get upset when another company doesn't have the same promotion. If say my gas station has free car washes with every 8 gallon purchase and I shop there the majority of the time....but I'm off somewhere else and try another gas station, should I get pissed at them for not offering a free car wash?

I would say it's closer to 80-20 for me in terms of ones that do and don't. I'm not getting pissed about anything. Drag City has the right to do as they please and I'm sure they've heard the no digital download complaint multiple times before and yet they still don't offer it. That tells me they aren't concerned with it and their business isn't hurting as a result. From my own opinion, I think it's cheap since they have the rights to the music and throwing an extra sheet of paper in an LP as a nice favor to their customers so we don't have to spend double on format purchases isn't too unreasonable to expect whether it's 50-50 or 80-20 elsewhere in the industry. Personally, it's the only reason why I haven't purchased more LPs than I have from them. But once again, they have the right to run their business however they want and they don't seem to be hurting for business.

I've never personally redeemed a single MP3 download card I've gotten inside of a record. I'm also a heavy Spotify user that has guiltlessly reverted to illegally downloading DC releases just so I can sync them to my streaming library. A card would have been nice in these situations but oh well.

High quality MP3's are practically free. Band Camp will give anyone 200 download codes of anything a band or label uploads FOR FREE. You can also buy more codes for dirt cheap. I think you can get 1000 individual codes of an album for $20.

Drag City could spend an extra 2¢ Per LP if they really wanted to.

To be clear, I only mentioned DC doesn't include a DL code because it seems to be asked where one is upon every release. Thats great that they want to keep prices down. $17-$19 an LP from them with shipping included is awesome. But it is also cool when one is included with an LP, even if its factored into the cost.

To be clear, I only mentioned DC doesn't include a DL code because it seems to be asked where one is upon every release. Thats great that they want to keep prices down. $17-$19 an LP from them with shipping included is awesome. But it is also cool when one is included with an LP, even if its factored into the cost.

i hear ya

also - i'd have to agree w/ keeping costs of LP's below $20

no disrespect to drag city either from me, just an initial observation. i'm happy we get a shit ton of releases from Ty

I do wish labels would put out higher bit rate files, I would buy them up in a heartbeat 

Can't wait for the new LP. I wonder if "The Muggers" is going to feature Cory from WAND.

My hearing is terrible so if you substitute Muggers for Makers in my previous post, Cory confirmed that he would be in Ty's new band when I spoke with him a couple of weeks back!

While we're talking Ty, I spoke with Cory from Wand last night and he mentioned he'll be playing in "Ty's new band" next year. I believe they're called Makers but I could be misremembering, another Ty offshoot to keep on top of!

My hearing is terrible so if you substitute Muggers for Makers in my previous post, Cory confirmed that he would be in Ty's new band when I spoke with him a couple of weeks back!

That is kind of what I was thinking. It would be incredible news, but the large tour likely means no new Wand until later into Spring. Not sure how to feel about that.

Did anyone that saw fuzz love Walter as much as I did?

They were pretty good. I really enjoyed the guitar solos. One thing that threw me off though was his live singing voice almost sounded like he was singing with a British accent, so when he spoke, it was weird. He was also either incredibly nervous or just really bad at stage banter. There was a drunk chick in the crowd heckling him, and he didn't really know how to handle it. It got weird and uncomfortable. But I stayed for the whole set. Very enjoyable.

Also, a few of their songs felt very Ty Segall-ish from his earlier records. 

They were pretty good. I really enjoyed the guitar solos. One thing that threw me off though was his live singing voice almost sounded like he was singing with a British accent, so when he spoke, it was weird. He was also either incredibly nervous or just really bad at stage banter. There was a drunk chick in the crowd heckling him, and he didn't really know how to handle it. It got weird and uncomfortable. But I stayed for the whole set. Very enjoyable.

He did that on the King Crimson cover. To which my friend called him a retard when I played the track to him.

I don't necessarily mind it that much as the original is, after all, British. But it's definitely verging on the slightly odd when it's on stage during other tracks as well, I reckon.

That's my buddy Patrick (also plays guitar in Meatbodies). His stage banters always been a little odd and intentionally awkward but that's just his sense of humor. Really nice guy offstage and a phenomenal guitarist.

They have another EP from a year or two ago, it doesn't appear to be on the bandcamp anymore but I'd be happy to share it if anyone's interested.

That's my buddy Patrick (also plays guitar in Meatbodies). His stage banters always been a little odd and intentionally awkward but that's just his sense of humor. Really nice guy offstage and a phenomenal guitarist.

They have another EP from a year or two ago, it doesn't appear to be on the bandcamp anymore but I'd be happy to share it if anyone's interested.

Cool, love Meatbodies. I'm always interested in seeing six degrees of Ty Segall.  Did he play on any studio recordings, or just live stuff? 

New Ty project 7" tomorrow. 12 noon PST.

IN THE RED RECORDS.

GØGGS is the brain child of Chris Shaw (Ex-Cult) and Ty Segall. The band had been in the planning stages for a long time but finally came together in 2015 when they convened in Ty's Los Angeles studio to record an album, which will be released next year. Other participants in the project include Cory Hanson (Wand), Charles Moothart (Fuzz) and Mikal Cronin. This single features an original from the album on the A side and an Iggy Pop cover on the B side that's exclusive to this 7”. The first 200 on color vinyl.

New Ty project 7" tomorrow. 12 noon PST.

IN THE RED RECORDS.

GØGGS is the brain child of Chris Shaw (Ex-Cult) and Ty Segall. The band had been in the planning stages for a long time but finally came together in 2015 when they convened in Ty's Los Angeles studio to record an album, which will be released next year. Other participants in the project include Cory Hanson (Wand), Charles Moothart (Fuzz) and Mikal Cronin. This single features an original from the album on the A side and an Iggy Pop cover on the B side that's exclusive to this 7”. The first 200 on color vinyl.

Being a Ty Segall collector is rewarding, but expensive. I swear this dude does not have an off switch. 

I thought his stage banter was incredible (one of my favorite dynamics of the band). He kept hiding behind the amps and peeking out syncing with the solos. It was a blast to watch and hear.

I've been wearing their tape out.