PO: Black Keys Turn Blue 5/13/14

http://store.theblackkeys.com/turn-blue.html

$24.98 LP + shipping

- Receive an instant download of the single "Fever"

- Pre-Order 'Turn Blue" Now from The Black Keys online store and get access to tickets for the upcoming 2014 North American Tour before the general ticket on sale.

- Additional digital download of the song “Turn Blue” delivered at a future date

- Full album download on street date 5/13/14

The Black Keys’ new album, Turn Blue, will be released May 13, 2014, on Nonesuch Records. Produced by Danger Mouse, Dan Auerbach, and Patrick Carney, Turn Blue features 11 new tracks, including the first single, “Fever,” which can be heard below and is included as a free instant download with LP, CD, and digital preorders of the album in the Nonesuch Store and attheblackkeys.com/turnblue, along with early access to tickets for the upcoming North American tour before the general ticket on-sale. T-shirt bundles are available on the band's site as well. Digital pre-orders are also available at iTunes

The Black Keys will headline the Hangout Festival in Alabama on May 16 before embarking on an extensive European festival tour this summer. See below for tour details and ticket links.

Turn Blue was recorded at Sunset Sound in Hollywood during the summer of 2013 with additional recording done at the Key Club in Benton Harbor, MI, and Auerbach’s Easy Eye Sound in Nashville in early 2014.

Of the new album, the band says Turn Blue could refer to:

A: Suffocation
B: Sadness
C: Numbness from extreme cold
D: A Cleveland late night TV host from the 1960s named Ghoulardi
E: All of the above

Moreover, Carney comments, “We are always trying to push ourselves when we make a record—not repeat our previous work but not abandon it either. On this record, we let the songs breathe and explored moods, textures and sounds. We’re excited for the world to hear Turn Blue.”

First single:

I am a big Black Keys fan so I'll pick this up for sure but I'm definitely missing the grit of some of their previous stuff. However, I wouldn't be surprised in a "softer" song was released to appeal to a wider audience. Hopefully the rest of the album won't be a let down.

Also going to agree that a blue and pink swirl would be awesome!

I was a big fan of their older stuff (A&R and so on) and Brothers was a badass album considering their change in sound. It still felt like their roots but sounded like they were having fun with the idea of adding more elements. El Camino was okay, but sounded a bit lazy, and it feels like this is going in the same direction. Really hoping their second single will turn me around. 

SIde note, I'm so fucking glad I was able to see these guys before they started playing arenas. The Palladium was the last show I saw them at. Are the shows still good? It's hard imagining these guys playing such a big room. Don't get me wrong, they deserve it, but i can't picture it. Anyone seen them recently? 

I was a big fan of their older stuff (A&R and so on) and Brothers was a badass album considering their change in sound. It still felt like their roots but sounded like they were having fun with the idea of adding more elements. El Camino was okay, but sounded a bit lazy, and it feels like this is going in the same direction. Really hoping their second single will turn me around. 

SIde note, I'm so fucking glad I was able to see these guys before they started playing arenas. The Palladium was the last show I saw them at. Are the shows still good? It's hard imagining these guys playing such a big room. Don't get me wrong, they deserve it, but i can't picture it. Anyone seen them recently? 

I saw them with the Arctic Monkeys during their El Camino tour. It was an alright show I guess. They play with a full back up band except for a few songs.

I saw them headlining Lollapalooza in Chile last year, they were awful.  No stage presence, they never even acknowledged the crowd.  People were leaving half way through the set, it was really bad.  They sound good enough, but they are a bar band, not a stadium or festival band.

This actually sounds a lot like Broken Bells to me. I haven't been a huge fan of his work with the Black Keys. El Camino was too straightforward, IMO. 

Danger Mouse has now produced, including this album, their last 4 albums, starting with Attack and Release. I agree El Camino is ok, but Brothers and Attack and Release are by far some of my favorites of their discography. I think it has more to do with the band themselves trying to "do something new" or whatever their logic is to keep people interested, whatever it is, is still working. 

Also...to the dude that said maybe someday they will produce their own stuff: they started out doing this. Pat Carney produced their first two albums, BCU and TF, and producing credits are given to "The Black Keys" on everything else up until Danger Mouse started filling those shoes.

• 3 weeks later...

It's simple, really. If they didn't change their sound they would be criticized for all their music sounding the same. If they change their sound, people will have the feelings that are expressed here.

If you dig it, then dig it. If you don't dig it, then don't dig it. The worst thing anyone can do is plateau. Change is good. Change is progressive.