Taylor Swift - 1989 2xLP

My niece sent me these links yesterday and all I could do was laugh. I mean REALLY?! 

On the white-washing claims:

Do they expect black people to just be running around with the animals? They aren't filming in any areas where people live in Africa (And at the beginning FYI you can clearly see two black men walking in the background). I mean maybe she could've had more black people in the video... but when most of the 10 person "film crew" you saw in the video were probably the actual film crew, Taylor's personal hair/makeup people... you get what you get. Also the producer is a black woman.... and the director is South Korean, so there's some minority representation.

On the colonialism claims:

1. Colonialism - the policy or practice of acquiring full or partial political control over another country, occupying it with settlers, and exploiting it economically.

Apparently setting up tents in the wild to film a movie for a few weeks is the same thing as "politically controlling" and "exploiting the area"

Yeah, sure, ok.

Personally, the only thing that made me mad is the fact they didn't have any hippos in the music video (I think hippos are cool and there are lots of those in Africa). And also, I just don't understand why they didn't use female lions... Taylor surrounded by a pack of female lions, looking like the dominant female would've been really cool.... even if Calvin apparently was the lion.

SideNote: in the essence of being politically correct... I know saying "black" men/women is not the correct way of doing it, but not sure what is for this case. If they want native people in the video to be African, they wouldn't be African-American... but at the same time just saying African does not mean they aren't white. So please excuse me taking the easy way out and just saying "black."

There's no correct way to describe another human being in 2015. I'm against bigotry, but goddamn, you can't always just say "the dude with the green shirt."

And describing a person by the color of their shirt could technically be offensive to me, since I'm colorblind (it's not... just adding to your point)

But in all seriousness, I agree. I'm 100% for loving others, treating every one with respect, and being kind... but sometimes it's impossible to be politically correct all the time, as long as the infarction is done in an innocent manner!

Pretty sure black is back to being the correct term. Even many black folk living in American aren't "African American" because their ancestors are fr the Caribbean, etc.

Technically maybe way back, they were from Africa, but they don't self identify as African.

On the colonialism claims:

1. Colonialism - the policy or practice of acquiring full or partial political control over another country, occupying it with settlers, and exploiting it economically.

Apparently setting up tents in the wild to film a movie for a few weeks is the same thing as "politically controlling" and "exploiting the area"

Yeah, sure, ok.

yeah, that's not what the article is trying to present, obviously. they're not suggesting that setting up a film crew is an act of exploitation.

haven't heard the song, does it appropriate non-american culture/musical styles?

yeah, that's not what the article is trying to present, obviously. they're not suggesting that setting up a film crew is an act of exploitation.

haven't heard the song, does it appropriate non-american culture/musical styles?

Not at all... it's about as  much of a white-ballad as you can get lol. It's the actually story that takes place in the music video that people are having a problem with

It's so convoluted what people are having issues with in calling the video racist and whatnot.

Is it because it's a video about a filmcrew in Africa filming a movie in which there are no blacks in it and there should be because it's set in Africa? Is that the beef?

Colonialism or not as it's trying to be claimed here, the setting is a 1950 Hollywood (presumably) film crew out in Africa. I'm pretty sure there was no integration in those days. What do people want now? To go back in time and change things and eradicate segregation and all the racial issues that went down? Sounds like a job for the Time Haters.

Again...I just don't get what the issue is.

I'm pretty sure there was no integration in those days. What do people want now? To go back in time and change things and eradicate segregation and all the racial issues that went down? Sounds like a job for the Time Haters.

Again...I just don't get what the issue is.

That's the issue. Should that be celebrated in the media? If Swift was making a documentary about it thenf air enough - why make a music video about that particular period? Because it's a nostalgic, glamorous time for successful white people? Just seems misinformed.