Hidden Gem Record Stores?

I travel for work a fair amount and when I'm on the road I try to scope out any record stores nearby.  I've been to a lot of the stores that I've found on various "best stores in America" lists, some of which I've found live up to the hype (hi, Amoeba), some of which I've found disappointing (cough, Electric Fetus), but I just as often find myself in the middle of nowhere or somewhere where I wouldn't expect to find a really good shop. Since I sometimes have some control over where I travel, I figured I'd see if anyone had any "off the beaten path" record stores that are worth checking out that I can keep in mind.  A few that spring to mind for me:

Double Decker Records, Allentown, PA - Seems to be pretty well known around here, but I didn't know about it until I went to Allentown and it's really great.

Flat, Black, and Circular, East Lansing, MI - On my mind since I was just there last week.  Typical college town record store, but I always seem to find some really good stuff I can't find anywhere else at good prices.

Ragged Records, Davenport, IA - I mainly mention it because it's in my hometown, but sadly it didn't show up until after I left the area, but I stop by when I'm back in town.  Does a lot of classic rock/psyche/prog business, but consistenly has some really good and rare stuff along those lines if you're willing to pay for it.

Anyone have any others they want to suggest?

Madcity Music Exchange- Madison WI

UHF Records- Royal Oak MI

Permament Records- Chicago

End of an Ear - Austin

These are my favorite out of town record stores I have been to(I live in Denver for last 8 years, lived in Madison for a year(never went to madcity when i lived there and didnt even know if it was around and NYC for 26 years) The record landscape in NYC has changed since i lived there

Biggest disappointments

Waterloo- Austin

Amoebas- LA, SF

Twist and Shout- Denver(this place has become like the two mentioned, lots of new stock, higher prices, used is picked through or over priced)

My problem with the bigger stores is they have a ton of new stock but I can get that where I live or online. I like finding a quality used record that you cant buy new anymore(besides your dads classic rock)

Wax Trax in Denver is awesome though. As is Black and Read in Arvada CO

Download the Vinyl District app for your phone. It's the first thing I open when I go to a new city on business or on vacation. It's helped me find some real gems out there, most recently Atlantic Sounds in Daytona Beach, Florida, Radioactive Records in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, and Som Records in Washington, DC.

Madcity Music Exchange- Madison WI

UHF Records- Royal Oak MI

Permament Records- Chicago

End of an Ear - Austin

These are my favorite out of town record stores I have been to(I live in Denver for last 8 years, lived in Madison for a year(never went to madcity when i lived there and didnt even know if it was around and NYC for 26 years) The record landscape in NYC has changed since i lived there

Biggest disappointments

Waterloo- Austin

Amoebas- LA, SF

Twist and Shout- Denver(this place has become like the two mentioned, lots of new stock, higher prices, used is picked through or over priced)

My problem with the bigger stores is they have a ton of new stock but I can get that where I live or online. I like finding a quality used record that you cant buy new anymore(besides your dads classic rock)

Wax Trax in Denver is awesome though. As is Black and Read in Arvada CO

If you bring up Madison you have to mention Strictly Discs. The upstairs is the average run of the mill record store, but the basement is what dreams are made of. 

Download the Vinyl District app for your phone. It's the first thing I open when I go to a new city on business or on vacation. It's helped me find some real gems out there, most recently Atlantic Sounds in Daytona Beach, Florida, Radioactive Records in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, and Som Records in Washington, DC.

There's a few stores in my town that aren't listed.

I've got it and use it, though there's not many reviews on it so it's hard to figure out whether a 45 minute drive somewhere will end up being worth it. Thanks for the recommendations.

If you bring up Madison you have to mention Strictly Discs. The upstairs is the average run of the mill record store, but the basement is what dreams are made of.

This is a pretty well known store but I find it disappointing. Most of the downstairs are your parents record collection. In the year I lived in Madison I only found a handful of things

This is a pretty well known store but I find it disappointing. Most of the downstairs are your parents record collection. In the year I lived in Madison I only found a handful of things

This.

I'm really not a fan of Stictly Discs. Mad City Music Exchange is far more suited to my taste and generally less expensive.

I feel lucky to live where I do, It's a record collector's paradise at times. Since we have the air force academy, and a big army base and a huge military defense contractor demographic (many who choose to retire here), many people who travel the world unload their records when they relocate/pass away. I've found black/yellow parlophone beatles and track records jimi hendrix to more fringe gems like these arms are snakes and Fear "The Record". It's one of the only good things besides nature and cheap weed about this town, also not a lot of collector's of the fringe genres so it's not as picked over as the bigger cities.

We have Independent Records - 5 locations, including 1 all vinyl location. They carry practically anything released in North America on vinyl, The pink Nothing "Guilty Of Everything" limited to 500 copies? They got 20 copies, Indie exclusives? check in quantities. Last RSD they got over 20 copies of the Brand New among all the locations, the selection really is top notch. The used stuff can be bonkers, it's gotten a little more expensive in recent years, but it's still pretty decent for the most part.

There is also Earthpig, if you are into older records. Probably the cleanest records I've ever come across, his prices are slightly higher, but it's a family owned store and they have bare none the best $1 section I've ever seen. Most records have a little cover wear or some light scratches, but he has such high standards, uk beatles records have been found in there. He has a nice selection of new but it's mostly geared towards the classic rock crowd, lots of imports and audiophile stuff.

Then finally we have The Leech Pit. One of the coolest stores I've ever seen, not just a nice, boutique record shop, they have awesome vintage clothing, toys, patches, stickers, old video games. Their prices are not low, but if you ever step in you just know you need to buy something and support this family run shop. His selection is bare none the craziest, records you never dreamed to see in person pop up in the bins.Some notable records he's had include original mono of Blue Cheer, Ruby pressing of the first Gun Club, Boris "Pink", Swans "Filth" original, Silver Apples, Flaming Lips "Clouds Taste Metallic" on green, Grilled Cheese pressing of Dude Ranch., you get the point.

I could probably do another post on Denver, but I only make it up to dig a couple times a year usually. So I'm sure there is someone more qualified.

I feel lucky to live where I do, It's a record collector's paradise at times. Since we have the air force academy, and a big army base and a huge military defense contractor demographic (many who choose to retire here), many people who travel the world unload their records when they relocate/pass away. I've found black/yellow parlophone beatles and track records jimi hendrix to more fringe gems like these arms are snakes and Fear "The Record". It's one of the only good things besides nature and cheap weed about this town, also not a lot of collector's of the fringe genres so it's not as picked over as the bigger cities.

We have Independent Records - 5 locations, including 1 all vinyl location. They carry practically anything released in North America on vinyl, The pink Nothing "Guilty Of Everything" limited to 500 copies? They got 20 copies, Indie exclusives? check in quantities. Last RSD they got over 20 copies of the Brand New among all the locations, the selection really is top notch. The used stuff can be bonkers, it's gotten a little more expensive in recent years, but it's still pretty decent for the most part.

There is also Earthpig, if you are into older records. Probably the cleanest records I've ever come across, his prices are slightly higher, but it's a family owned store and they have bare none the best $1 section I've ever seen. Most records have a little cover wear or some light scratches, but he has such high standards, uk beatles records have been found in there. He has a nice selection of new but it's mostly geared towards the classic rock crowd, lots of imports and audiophile stuff.

Then finally we have The Leech Pit. One of the coolest stores I've ever seen, not just a nice, boutique record shop, they have awesome vintage clothing, toys, patches, stickers, old video games. Their prices are not low, but if you ever step in you just know you need to buy something and support this family run shop. His selection is bare none the craziest, records you never dreamed to see in person pop up in the bins.Some notable records he's had include original mono of Blue Cheer, Ruby pressing of the first Gun Club, Boris "Pink", Swans "Filth" original, Silver Apples, Flaming Lips "Clouds Taste Metallic" on green, Grilled Cheese pressing of Dude Ranch., you get the point.

I could probably do another post on Denver, but I only make it up to dig a couple times a year usually. So I'm sure there is someone more qualified.

I was driving from Pueblo to the Denver airport a month or so ago and almost stopped in Colorado Springs for a record dig, but I didn't have a lot of time and couldn't figure out where to prioritize my time. This will help if I ever have the opportunity again. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread to get some more recommendations and give a shout out to Luna Music in Indianapolis. I think Indy CD and Vinyl in Broad Ripple gets more pub, but this store is outstanding. It's hard for me to imagine that any semi-serious collector won't find something in their want list in their "Collectibles" racks, and at fairly reasonable prices.