What video games have you been playing?

Unfortunately from what I have heard from the conference today and read online, it won't actually be TRUE 4k, more like upscaled content. I don't think the hardware in the pro is even capable of 4k at decent framerates, and definitely not at 4k/60 like would be hoped for...

Firmware update for everyone for free next week enabling higher hdr is nice I guess. Pro does not seem worth it except for the nice 1TB HDD. I'd probably upgrade when and only when my current ps4 finally dies.

Edited by rooks

I agree entirely, the Pro doesn't seem worth the upgrade for current owners. I'd only pick one up if my PS4 died, otherwise I'm not gonna go out of my way to upgrade. 

I do feel that the two consoles are a very lazy design. I get that they want them to look uniform but they're so unbelievably dull. 

Also, i guess this wasn't the event for it, but no backwards compatibility for PS1 and 3 games yet? If PS2 can be done then surely 1 can....

Just now, Le Gogh said:

I agree entirely, the Pro doesn't seem worth the upgrade for current owners. I'd only pick one up if my PS4 died, otherwise I'm not gonna go out of my way to upgrade. 

I do feel that the two consoles are a very lazy design. I get that they want them to look uniform but they're so unbelievably dull. 

Also, i guess this wasn't the event for it, but no backwards compatibility for PS1 and 3 games yet? If PS2 can be done then surely 1 can....

I laughed out loud when they called future patches to existing games (to make them Pro compatible) "forward capability".

Not the directional capability we were looking for, folks.

Just now, Le Gogh said:

I laughed out loud when they called future patches to existing games (to make them Pro compatible) "forward capability".

8 minutes ago, rooks said:

Yeah it made me laugh as well. It's just PR spin isn't it, they know if they don't address people's concerns of being left behind or buying games that don't work on both systems, there will be a lot of bad press and too many questions. 

If Sony had turned around today and said "that's right, PS1,  PS2,  PS3, and all PS4 games are compatible going forward" people would lose their shit. Every generation on one console with continuous support for the future. If only... 

Yup. I don't know enough about the industry to know why they DON'T do that, because to me it seems like this could have been an insane way to really up the ante against their competition. If thye were worried about losing out on old-console sales numbers or something... price the Playstation Infinite at $600. Ps1 games at $20, ps2 games at $30, ps3 games at $40, ps4 games and remasters at $60. 

I fail to see how they'd make less doing something wild and out of the box like that than what they do instead which is release an uglier ps4, with upscalability and a bigger HDD/faster GPU that's basically a non-essential upgrades for all existing customers.

I've been planning to get a ps4 by November for XV and was waiting to see the information on the PS4Pro before jumping in. But after seeing the price and the content...I think I'll be just as happy getting a used original model for <$200. Do you think I'm correct in this thinking? As someone who probably won't have a 4k television within the next half decade and doesn't need their console to be "slim," the original model seems the way to go right?

40 minutes ago, dkrtz said:

I've been planning to get a ps4 by November for XV and was waiting to see the information on the PS4Pro before jumping in. But after seeing the price and the content...I think I'll be just as happy getting a used original model for <$200. Do you think I'm correct in this thinking? As someone who probably won't have a 4k television within the next half decade and doesn't need their console to be "slim," the original model seems the way to go right?

You've got the right idea as far as I'm concerned. I think you can grab a 4k much sooner than you expect though. I got a brand new 55" for ~$700 a while back.

I got a 55 inch 4k Vizio M series for around 600 a while back. They aren't so out of reach anymore.

That said, Sony has come out and said that hdr/4k versions or patches for games might cost money. Soooo fuck that forever. 

I hate to say it but if you're going to spend 600 on a TV, 400 on a ps4 pro, and 70+ for every 4k game they put out for the next 5 years just buy a high end pc and get your games for way cheaper, with modding, with better framerates, graphics, etc.

I've long been a fighter for consoles, but, man, they just keep letting me down with these "updates".

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Youinreverse said:

I'm really tempted by this, but I just bought Forza Horizon 3. I might be better off waiting.

I've had a really tough time lately playing multiple games at once, so I'm with you on that.

I'm trying to rapidly finish my first SOTFS play through so I can pick up Tomb Raider as soon as it gets here... Just DLC and final boss left I think.

3 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I've had a really tough time lately playing multiple games at once, so I'm with you on that.

I'm trying to rapidly finish my first SOTFS play through so I can pick up Tomb Raider as soon as it gets here... Just DLC and final boss left I think.

I just want Last Guardian. Then I can do Ratchet, DS III DLC, Tomb, etc.

20 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Working through the BioShock Collection, Gears 4, and trying to give Fallout 4 another chance all at once and it's killing me.