PO Soon : MOGWAI - Come On Die Young 4 LP Box Set

omg that was seriously one of the best shows i've ever been to. insanely good. loud as fuck, but pristine--you could pick out anything.

we got there early enough to get seats on the balcony. there's a bar that runs along the front and only the first line is seated and people stand behind you. so that was pretty awesome too.

XgA3fTa.jpg

also a dude let me take a pic of the setlist afterwards (almost snagged one myself but missed out). i'll put it in spoiler tags in case you don't want to see it.

TB8I10F.jpg

that part in Mogwai Fear Satan made me jump even though i knew it was coming hahaha. i couldn't tell you how many times i got chills during the set. 

also, i thought it was pretty cool, there was a dude there who ended up shooting the whole thing on a nice camera. set up a tripod in the middle of the balcony. i asked him for his info. here's the link to his youtube where they'll all be put up: https://www.youtube.com/user/davmeek/featured

Christmas Steps! Awesome setlist. I'm glad to hear you had a blast, and I completely agree about the clarity. You can really appreciate it during tracks like Rano, where you're able to pick out everyone's instrument in the walls of sound.

I'll be keeping an eye on that guy's channel for sure.

yeah pretty 'rave tapes' heavy but i loved christmas steps and the 'mr. beast' tracks thrown in there. everything translated REALLY well live.

as far as merch goes, i picked up 'rave tapes' and 'hardcore will never die' on vinyl--$20 a piece, but meh, i like supporting the band, and also a tee.

man I can't wait for this. CODY has been the missing piece in completing my collection for a while now. I have the YT box and it was worth every penny. If this release is anything comparable to that, I am more than willing to dish out the bucks for it. As for touring, no AZ dates :( closest show is in Denver, but thats 15 hours away. My mom lives there so I could have boarding paid for...maybe I can raise enough for a ticket and a plane ticket by then hmmm....Denver gets some sweet shows. I was there before the new year visiting and Sleep was going to be there about 5 days after. ugh. Phoenix sucks in regards to shows sometimes

man I can't wait for this. CODY has been the missing piece in completing my collection for a while now. I have the YT box and it was worth every penny. If this release is anything comparable to that, I am more than willing to dish out the bucks for it. As for touring, no AZ dates :( closest show is in Denver, but thats 15 hours away. My mom lives there so I could have boarding paid for...maybe I can raise enough for a ticket and a plane ticket by then hmmm....Denver gets some sweet shows. I was there before the new year visiting and Sleep was going to be there about 5 days after. ugh. Phoenix sucks in regards to shows sometimes

They're playing SLC on May 21st if you wanted to make a 10hr drive instead. :) I can't wait to see them again. Last time I saw them is when they were touring for The Hawk is Howling. I still haven't heard them play Mogwai Fear Satan live.

For sure. Anything short of going broke or in debt, I'd say go for it. Not that you need anymore encouragement from this thread, but there's simply no way you'll leave the venue disappointed. They just kill it. Both shows I caught, I managed to convince two different friends to attend, despite them being relatively unfamiliar with Mogwai's material. And both were grateful I pushed them into attending – the lighting, sound, and variety of the setlists are simply fantastic on this tour. I've been on a bit of a Mogwai-high ever since I got back. I hope you can make it.

For sure. Anything short of going broke or in debt, I'd say go for it. Not that you need anymore encouragement from this thread, but there's simply no way you'll leave the venue disappointed. They just kill it. Both shows I caught, I managed to convince two different friends to attend, despite them being relatively unfamiliar with Mogwai's material. And both were grateful I pushed them into attending – the lighting, sound, and variety of the setlists are simply fantastic on this tour. I've been on a bit of a Mogwai-high ever since I got back. I hope you can make it.

They are one of those bands that I try to push people into seeing if they are unfamiliar with the music. I don't understand how a single person could walk out of there without their mind blown.

Yeah I definitely haven't been able to see them before. And like you said, could be ages until they return to the us, much less new orleans...I may have to take the advice and do whatever it takes to get there.

I wouldn't stress TOO much about waiting for them to come back. Last time I saw them was a couple years ago (after Hardcore was released) and that still feels like yesterday. I honestly can't believe a new album is already out and they are already coming back. Time flies. Do whatever it takes to not miss them though, haha.

Edit: Plus now that I think about it, Mogwai came back the the US twice in one year during their last tour cycle.

They are one of those bands that I try to push people into seeing if they are unfamiliar with the music. I don't understand how a single person could walk out of there without their mind blown.

I do the same thing. Last time they came I convinced a friend who was really into cutesy indie pop She and Him/Miniature Tigers type bands at the time to come with me. She loved the show and still talks about it to this day. 

Well, everyone.. I made it. After an amazing afternoon with my girlfriend and her family I rushed to new orleans and met up with my friend. I made it 40 minutes after doors and remarkably I was able to meander right to the stage, front center. Being so close resulted in an incredible experience of truly becoming entirely engulfed with their performance.. every aspect was so immaculately refined from their setlist to how well they played each song to the awe inspiring light show. After witnessing a concert which I could only describe as mindblowing I was lucky enough to receive a setlist. As I was staring at it in front of me laying on the stage, a Roadie tossed a handful of used guitar picks onto it, both white and black, featuring the rave tapes logo and band name. I kept one of each color and chased down the guy who stood next to me during the show and gave him one of each as well. He left after thanking me and I grabbed a copy of Rave Tapes on vinyl. Just then a multi instrumentalist from the band, Barry, walked into the then empty bar/merch room and I was able to have a nice conversation with him. He joked about driving to Miami the next day and told my friend and I how he and his wife watch Miami vice, which sounded extra silly coming from his awesome Scottish accent. He saw my record and happily pulled out the sleeve and signed it to my name and left a nice little message with his signature.

Making it to new orleans for Mogwai was the best decision ever.

Well, everyone.. I made it. After an amazing afternoon with my girlfriend and her family I rushed to new orleans and met up with my friend. I made it 40 minutes after doors and remarkably I was able to meander right to the stage, front center. Being so close resulted in an incredible experience of truly becoming entirely engulfed with their performance.. every aspect was so immaculately refined from their setlist to how well they played each song to the awe inspiring light show. After witnessing a concert which I could only describe as mindblowing I was lucky enough to receive a setlist. As I was staring at it in front of me laying on the stage, a Roadie tossed a handful of used guitar picks onto it, both white and black, featuring the rave tapes logo and band name. I kept one of each color and chased down the guy who stood next to me during the show and gave him one of each as well. He left after thanking me and I grabbed a copy of Rave Tapes on vinyl. Just then a multi instrumentalist from the band, Barry, walked into the then empty bar/merch room and I was able to have a nice conversation with him. He joked about driving to Miami the next day and told my friend and I how he and his wife watch Miami vice, which sounded extra silly coming from his awesome Scottish accent. He saw my record and happily pulled out the sleeve and signed it to my name and left a nice little message with his signature.

Great story. Mogwai is definitely on my list of acts I most want to see live.

Awesome. I'm going to that Miami show for my first Mogwai concert. Can't wait.

I'm so glad you made that, man. Sounds like an incredible experience from start to finish. Any setlist highlights for you, personally?

Every moment truly was incredible. And without a doubt the highlight of the whole performance for me was Helicon pt 1. There's no way to describe the way the bass resonated in that venue and how it complete blanketed my entire existence.

And to the person attending the Miami show, there is no way to prepare for the amazing experience you're about to have. You're gonna enjoy it so much!