PO: MASTODON - Once More 'Round The Sun

Guest Secular Haze

When I see shit like this I feel like I'm being punished for being a fan. I get excited when I see the pre-order is up. Then when I see the price I feel betrayed. I can't support the band because I can't afford to like a normal person. I'm happy that I'm not a die hard Mastodon fan but I've had other artists pull similar shit and I had no choice *cough Sigur Rós * cough.

The problem is that the hunter wasnt that good. No one's saying it, but we all know it. 

For some reason The Hunter was the first one that got me interested in them again since Remission.

Did not like Leviathan back in the day and just stopped listening to them altogether.

Heard the new one described as 'Yacht Metal' on some other forum  :lol:

This whole thing is just a ploy to get people to think Hydrahead's prices are good.

Also, fuck $70. Looks like I won't be buying any more Mastodon records. Come to think of it I didn't buy the last one despite liking it because it wasn't worth the asking price to me.

Crack the Skye was my favorite album of theirs actually and the single LP version was less than 20 bucks. They should go back to that business model.

This whole thing is just a ploy to get people to think Hydrahead's prices are good.

Also, fuck $70. Looks like I won't be buying any more Mastodon records. Come to think of it I didn't buy the last one despite liking it because it wasn't worth the asking price to me.

Crack the Skye was my favorite album of theirs actually and the single LP version was less than 20 bucks. They should go back to that business model.

This.

I wasn't that into Crack the Skye but I bought it because the price was decent enough for a decent album. I didn't buy the Hunter, even though I liked it, because it was a bit much. No way would I consider giving this a chance for $30 let alone $70.

Calm down everyone. I could be wrong, but why doesn't anyone think they will release a single LP for around $20 like they have for the last three records?

For the last three albums, they have done BOTH deluxe $45 and standard $20 vinyl. Just because they release a bundle for first preorder doesn't mean the stand alone deluxe or a standard release won't be done. I'm at the forefront of price bitching on this site, and no, I don't think $70 is a good price for that bundle, but amazon is offering a preorder for the deluxe edition for $45. The same price as the deluxe editions of Blood Mountain, Crack the Sky, and The Hunter. Anyone who owns the deluxe editions know they are of a higher quality than the standard. BUT, ultimately, this is how it should be done, with multiple options. So, if it gets closer to release date and still no standard gets announced, then feel free to bitch and moan, I know I would. But until then, calm down and see what happens.

Guest Secular Haze

I'm really surprised to hear that a lot of people didn't like 'The Hunter.' That album was outstanding. It was a solid mix of all of the different writing styles they used throughout the last decade.

Calm down everyone. I could be wrong, but why doesn't anyone think they will release a single LP for around $20 like they have for the last three records?

For the last three albums, they have done BOTH deluxe $45 and standard $20 vinyl. Just because they release a bundle for first preorder doesn't mean the stand alone deluxe or a standard release won't be done. I'm at the forefront of price bitching on this site, and no, I don't think $70 is a good price for that bundle, but amazon is offering a preorder for the deluxe edition for $45. The same price as the deluxe editions of Blood Mountain, Crack the Sky, and The Hunter. Anyone who owns the deluxe editions know they are of a higher quality than the standard. BUT, ultimately, this is how it should be done, with multiple options. So, if it gets closer to release date and still no standard gets announced, then feel free to bitch and moan, I know I would. But until then, calm down and see what happens.

Whatever, I'm still going to bitch about $45 for a double LP (and continue to not buy them).

Just because they release a bundle for first preorder doesn't mean the stand alone deluxe or a standard release won't be done.

True. But still... $70?! 

No really, you're right. It's not like I usually opt for deluxe editions anyway, unless they're just marginally more expensive than the regular edition. 

On a mostly irrelevant note, this thread reminded me of Black Cobra and I'm currently rocking out to their latest LP. If you like Leviathan, check out these two dudes... added bonus: their albums all cost <$20. 

I'm really surprised to hear that a lot of people didn't like 'The Hunter.' That album was outstanding. It was a solid mix of all of the different writing styles they used throughout the last decade.

I wouldn't say I don't like it, just hoping for something better here. It's the curse of having released 3, in my opinion, perfect albums (Leviathan, Blood Mountain and Remission.)

Guest Secular Haze

I wouldn't say I don't like it, just hoping for something better here. It's the curse of having released 3, in my opinion, perfect albums (Leviathan, Blood Mountain and Remission.)

I don't think the curse is applicable to these guys. Crack The Skye was a beauty too. I was lucky enough to see it performed live in it's entirety.