PO: Blues Traveler 1st 4 Albums (Colored 750 copies or 180g Black 250 copies)

Are all these people bashing this the same people who go crazy for fall out boy and good charlotte?

0151836C-43CB-406D-B829-F14DC4B00BD4_zps

Nah, can't stand either of them. This is a punk oriented board. Any time something starts straying into territory best described as "Hippie Shit" it is going to have to take a ribbing. If you want to dust off you Smith & Wesson, strap on your Birkenstocks and groove to some crap jam band in a haze of skunk that's your right. Well, it's your right in the states where all that's legal.

Anyway, shit like this will always deservedly be knocked around here based on the audience. I don't go to the Grateful Dead Collective and hype the shit out of the latest OFF! record. Not only do I not care about their opinion but it isn't the right audience to begin with. Pretending this place is something it isn't is silly. Music fans are by birthright opinionated. I have no problem kicking it with a Dead fan, know plenty of them, but seriously we rag on each others music all the time. I guess the difference is that BT is some serious crap on top of everything else. 

Knew I'd get a laugh out of this thread.

Chuckles succeeded.

Let the market speak for what it wants, meaning hopefully this will tank and we can get back to relevant albums.

This band will still be more relevant in 20 years than most bands talked about on here. I hope there aren't too many 40 year olds still listening to La Dispute then.

Edit: I saw someone bring up Cake. Good fucking point. I had no idea people even liked that band or took them seriously. And 9 5 6, I meant to upvote you!

Are all these people bashing this the same people who go crazy for fall out boy and good charlotte?

I think these are the same people who despise Fall Out Boy and Good Charlotte. I know I am. Also way to take a screenshot of a google image result on your phone and then upload that picture to the internet.

I know it was at one point, but I don't think that could be said anymore. A majority of threads on the first couple of pages aren't for punk bands. This place kinda runs the gamut of music.

And that's when threads for total Hippie Bullshit come up they get about 2 pages with half the comments being people shitting on the band and the other half saying "have an open mind bro". They really don't count too much in the grand scheme of this place. The overwhelming majority of stuff that gets a conversation on here is punk oriented and the rest is taking up space and bogging the joint down. 

Let me also give an example of knowing your audience.

I love The Bangles. No intention of irony. Grew up on them and know all the words to Eternal Flame. If reissues of their albums were being made do you think I'd be naive enough to post a PO thread? Hell no. Two members might care and that's likely an overestimate. Further they'd probably be $25 and then the other person would drop out. 

Just because something is being released or re-released doesn't mean it warrants attention on this board. It certainly doesn't mean it warrants only positive attention.

I always wondered what it would be like to see Emo kids fight with hippies. But seriously, I'm not a huge BT fan but they did have 3 gold records, 1 platinum, and a 6x platinum album, they had a pretty impressive run back in the day. I will pick up Four, I always liked that album, but not really interested in the rest.

I don't see how these reissues are any different than that Real Big Fish reissue. Or any of those Silverchair reissues. Or the cake box set for that matter. Some people like certain bands more than others. Getting bent out of shape because something is betting reissued or issued for the first time is silly.

You are right that there really isnt much of a difference.  Basically all these represses are cashing in on the fact that the generation who grew up listening to them are now mostly in their 30s with good stable jobs and plenty of disposable income.  That said I have a much easier time accepting stuff like Silverchair, Stone Temple Pilots, and Reel Big Fish getting reissued than utter lowest common denominator radio fodder like Blues Travelers getting pressed.  I can assume that we are going to see some trash like Dave Matthews Band, Jewel, and Natalie Merchant get new colorful presses.

Of course that is all just my opinion and at the end of the day I dont really care what gets pressed and what people buy.  If some people want them then I hope they enjoy their records  

This band will still be more relevant in 20 years than most bands talked about on here. I hope there aren't too many 40 year olds still listening to La Dispute then.

Edit: I saw someone bring up Cake. Good fucking point. I had no idea people even liked that band or took them seriously. And 9 5 6, I meant to upvote you!

I agree with that 100%

"Grandpa, tell us about La Dispute again"

Cake is a great point too, obviously it's all what I listen to but I can at least understand the need/want for cake albums bc of the price of the originals/lack pressed. On the other side, Run-Around is the only song I know from BT, seemed like a one and done kind of group like others mentioned, IMO.

Just came out of left field like if 4 Non Blondes had their albums pressed.

I always wondered what it would be like to see Emo kids fight with hippies. But seriously, I'm not a huge BT fan but they did have 3 gold records, 1 platinum, and a 6x platinum album, they had a pretty impressive run back in the day. I will pick up Four, I always liked that album, but not really interested in the rest.

Wow! O_o did not know that, good for them *thumbs up*

Just because something is being released or re-released doesn't mean it warrants attention on this board. 

I disagree with that.  Thanks to this board, I've discovered and expanded my musical tastes more than I ever would have had I been on just a band specific messageboard.  This forum is vinylcollective and I don't think it really slants one way (metal vs. punk vs. pop) over another. i'd like to think it is all encompassing and welcoming to any and all music tastes.

With regards to Blues Traveler, it's not like they are making 40000 copies.  1 release was a promo only domestic release, 2 of the releases haven't even been on vinyl before (per Discogs), with another being only available overseas.  I am sure there are more than 1000 people who see Blues Traveler at shows that might pick this up for nostalgia sake (maybe a couple met at a HORDE show...who knows).  I don't think this is milking fans or anything, it is giving legacy Blues Travelers fans to add to their vinyl collection and a chance for those who may want to discover their music an opportunity to do so.

Let me also give an example of knowing your audience.

I love The Bangles. No intention of irony. Grew up on them and know all the words to Eternal Flame. If reissues of their albums were being made do you think I'd be naive enough to post a PO thread? Hell no. Two members might care and that's likely an overestimate. Further they'd probably be $25 and then the other person would drop out. 

Just because something is being released or re-released doesn't mean it warrants attention on this board. It certainly doesn't mean it warrants only positive attention.

But isn't that the point of the board? To try to engage in a discussion. If no one wants to engage or there is no interest, the thread drops never to be heard of again. If there is interest (and out of 4 pages, there seems to be a least 2 pages of genuine interest or at least discussion about) the topic thrives.

Like beatnik said above the demo of the board does seem to be people who grew up in the 90s who have a nostalgia for that era. So I don't think its unreasonable to try this thread here at VC. While anecdotal, I used to like BT in the 90s. I don't anymore, and I'm not getting these. But I'm happy to follow the discussion even though its not my thing anymore. 

Now if you are talking about dumping all the non punk stuff and making this back to a punk oriented board, thats another thing. But I think the natural evolution of VC is taking it away from its punk roots. I mean some of the largest threads here seem to be general vinyl discussion or label discussion that aren't necessarily punk related. I mean, the Taylor Swift thread was one of the biggest threads in this place. 

I would like this better if it was 1 LP, black vinyl and cost $15 and also had different music on it.

That will be for the upcoming Blues Traveler covers album featuring Thrice, Circa Survive, Young Widows, Mac DeMarco, Bayside, BTBAM, Manchester Orchestra, Dance Gavin Dance and Converge.  Order your copy now!

VC may have moved on from the Virgil days when it was primarily Orgcore and middling alt-country, but there were a million directions it could've gone, and it sucks that it's gone in the Middle School Forever nostalgia train direction.

I think this may be the tipping point. The time has come to reestablish Terrible Vacation.