I found a turtle on the road, what do I do?

Call animal control. In my area there is no shortage of ponds to put the guy in, but if there's nothing like that in your area, best to let someone with experience handle it.

Alligator Snappers are mean. If it's one of those, and you don't know how to handle it, then it's best not to approach. They're not aggressive in the sense that they'll charge you, but they are territorial, and defensive if threatened.

Call animal control. In my area there is no shortage of ponds to put the guy in, but if there's nothing like that in your area, best to let someone with experience handle it.

Alligator Snappers are mean. If it's one of those, and you don't know how to handle it, then it's best not to approach. They're not aggressive in the sense that they'll charge you, but they are territorial, and defensive if threatened.

How can I tell?

It strayed from the closest water source from where you found it. Bring it back and it will likely nest again. I've done this with plenty of turtles. Pretty adaptable critters.

No idea where that would be. Is it bad to relocate them by say giving them to a friend who knows how to take care of reptiles/has big backyard?

Okay, my office has a manmade koi pond, it's pretty enclosed though, I'm thinking it might be from there not sure. I don't know if it's a better bet to take it home with me to guarantee its safety or try and put it back into a koi pond where it might escape again.

Like a legit water turtle or a desert tortoise? I too live in SoCal and have encountered a tortoise here and there. If you're near a desert just drop the little dude off a little off the main road and he'll go on his way. If you're far from any deserts I'd look up the local Humane Society, they'll come pick him up, give him a meal, make sure he's not injured, then release him somewhere safe.

Like a legit water turtle or a desert tortoise? I too live in SoCal and have encountered a tortoise here and there. If you're near a desert just drop the little dude off a little off the main road and he'll go on his way. If you're far from any deserts I'd look up the local Humane Society, they'll come pick him up, give him a meal, make sure he's not injured, then release him somewhere safe.

I have no idea, I'll take a pic in a couple.