MAN ADVICE v2.0

Maybe I'm just old and bitter about the world so I try to avoid certain topics but I'm not sure when "female" became gross and dehumanizing.  I never thought I would see the day where the world would become so politically correct about everything.  By the way, I don't think I've ever heard the words "gross" and "dehumanizing" become so grossly overused. Don't worry kids, hopefully the fad of being p.c. will soon disappear and we can return to really fighting for things that matter. 

how about enlightening us on what's so *~*gross*~* about the word. because "well my friends said" just makes it sound like some white knight bullshit.

Language has a lot of subtle nuances and using words that may be interchangeable on paper can significantly shift meaning.

I think that using "female" as a noun is sort of vaguely offensive because it doesn't necessarily refer to a human being and when it is used as a noun it tends to be used in a way that conveys that the subject is less than a person.

example: "that female over there." Could easily be used to refer to a cow or a dog.

The topic reminds me of a heated argument between two friends of mine. friend A (white guy in his 50s) said something like "this black guy pulled out in front of me and nearly ran me off the road." Friend B (early 30s black guy) got upset that friend A used used color to describe the driver in his story. on paper, there's nothing explicitly wrong with the statement, but the reality is that if the driver in the story was a white dude, friend A would have said "this idiot" or "this moron" never "this white guy" "black guy" basically meant "stupid" in his usage.

Not to be a dick or argumentative, but I'm legitimately curious what's dehumanizing about the term "females"? I personally don't ever use this but I guess I'm just not seeing it like you are Bruce. Care to elaborate?

I really really hate hearing guys (usually douchebag assholes) refer to girls as "bitches" I hate that term and have called out people for saying that. That is fucking offensive

Don't call women "females" it's dehumanizing garbage.

What the fuck are you talking about. Haha. Seriously? You say some weird shit, but that where the fuck did you even get this?

Ok, well, I guess we can just call everyone organism now.

I can't even think of an analogy because it's just too stupid to compare.

'Female' means 'woman'. So you were being dehumanizing with that sentence using your own "logic".

Dude up there gets it. Female does not refer to just humans. It is incredibly general, like I said anything from bugs to fucking wire connectors can be female.

You can find dictionary definitions of "literally" that include using it to mean "figuratively" but that doesn't make it any less annoying when someone says "Omg I literally died" and they are in fact not dead.

Not to be a dick or argumentative, but I'm legitimately curious what's dehumanizing about the term "females"? I personally don't ever use this but I guess I'm just not seeing it like you are Bruce. Care to elaborate?

I really really hate hearing guys (usually douchebag assholes) refer to girls as "bitches" I hate that term and have called out people for saying that. That is fucking offensive

I had a conversation with some female friends about the use of "females" and they actually said "I'd rather people just say Bitches instead because then they at least know they're being disrespectful."

I had a conversation with some female friends bitches about the use of "females" and they actually said "I'd rather people just say Bitches instead because then they at least know they're being disrespectful."

Fixed that according to you all's backward ass "logic".

So, what your friends are saying is that they would rather be disrespected since they can't tell if someone is saying 'female' in a disrespectful way?

Everyone is getting dumber talking about this.

I can't continue to think about it.

Dude up there gets it. Female does not refer to just humans. It is incredibly general, like I said anything from bugs to fucking wire connectors can be female.

You can find dictionary definitions of "literally" that include using it to mean "figuratively" but that doesn't make it any less annoying when someone says "Omg I literally died" and they are in fact not dead.

Women are still literally females. Why are you arguing about the misuse of literally and figuratively? If you literally keep talking, I'm going to figuratively kill someone.

Language has a lot of subtle nuances and using words that may be interchangeable on paper can significantly shift meaning.

I think that using "female" as a noun is sort of vaguely offensive because it doesn't necessarily refer to a human being and when it is used as a noun it tends to be used in a way that conveys that the subject is less than a person.

example: "that female over there." Could easily be used to refer to a cow or a dog.

The topic reminds me of a heated argument between two friends of mine. friend A (white guy in his 50s) said something like "this black guy pulled out in front of me and nearly ran me off the road." Friend B (early 30s black guy) got upset that friend A used used color to describe the driver in his story. on paper, there's nothing explicitly wrong with the statement, but the reality is that if the driver in the story was a white dude, friend A would have said "this idiot" or "this moron" never "this white guy" "black guy" basically meant "stupid" in his usage.

the information regarding the guy's skin tone was irrelevant. friend b was right to be annoyed.

lebowski is talking specifically about the gender he is interested in. relevant.

see the difference?

and just because 'female' can refer to non-persons, so the fuck what? use common sense and comprehension.

being referred to as a person puts you in the same bubble as hitler. are we going to get uppity about that next?

Fixed that according to you all's backward ass "logic".

So, what your friends are saying is that they would rather be disrespected since they can't tell if someone is saying 'female' in a disrespectful way?

Everyone is getting dumber talking about this.

I can't continue to think about it.

Did you miss where I said it's not disrespectful as an adjective? "Female [noun]" is fine because you're describing someone as female. Not just calling them a female.

Also, when do you ever hear a man called just a male? No dude is ever like "So I was talking to this male..."

Female/women discussion aside, it blows my mind that there are still people who think feminist = macho/butch/misandrist. You might as well stereotype people for their skin colour too while you're at it.

Shit, I got so distracted I forgot about this.

Look, feminism is dope. Everyone should be a feminist. There's more to it than internet arguments about shitty language, I swear.

Look, feminism is dope. Everyone should be a feminist. There's more to it than internet arguments about shitty language, I swear.

or...

Just be a good person to everyone regardless of gender.

That's what feminism is about. Equality. As men it's sometimes hard to remember that equality means something different to women because they're the ones fighting for it. That's why I differ to the women in my life. I've always felt the term "females" was weird when referring to women and could never put my finger on what was off about it. Then a bunch of women told me how they felt about it. They have far more experience in the area than I do.