MAN ADVICE v2.0

I know people who've gotten married after meeting on okcupid. I have problem telling people that's how I met my girlfriend. It's really not even a thing anymore, anyone who cares is probably an uptight weirdo. It's the new normal.

As for strangers not talking to each other irl, good. That shit sucks.

No! I am sorry. I don't mean to put down the online dating experience for anyone. It just isn't for me, if that makes sense.

exactly. I don't know why people are so afraid to meet organically nowadays. 

No! I am sorry. I don't mean to put down the online dating experience for anyone. It just isn't for me, if that makes sense.

Assuming you are still in the Bay Area, it's rough dating here in general. From what I have seen, talking to people it's really because of the constant cycle of people moving to and moving out of the area. That tends to put a small barrier when it comes to forming lasting relationships with people let alone long lasting romantic ones. Personally, the best way I met people organically, was through meetup groups. I have been able to meet some rad people through there and thankfully most of them have stuck around the area. 

how do you meet people organically? Serious question..  Since I graduated college I have no idea how to do it.  I don't hit on girls at bars and when I go to shows I don't talk to strangers for extended periods of times.  I was able to meet girls at festivals but that feels different because of the atmosphere....

how do you meet people organically? Serious question.. Since I graduated college I have no idea how to do it. I don't hit on girls at bars and when I go to shows I don't talk to strangers for extended periods of times. I was able to meet girls at festivals but that feels different because of the atmosphere....

I've met a few people on the plane while I'm working. But I've also met people on the bus, at concerts, and at instameets / through Instagram. I've been pretty intentional with people that I enjoy talking to and follow through with the small talk with asking if we can get together or giving them my phone number. It's been pretty well received so far.

how do you meet people organically? Serious question.. Since I graduated college I have no idea how to do it. I don't hit on girls at bars and when I go to shows I don't talk to strangers for extended periods of times. I was able to meet girls at festivals but that feels different because of the atmosphere....

It's definitely tough. Especially with today's twenty something's being wired to their phones. When we're in uncomfortable situations in public we just use cell phones as a coping mechanism. However, if you look for someone that inferests you, just approach them and try sparking a conversation. I think we're getting to a point where that kind of outwardness is surprising and exciting. Perhaps just the act will get the other person interested in talking. You don't have anything to lose!

My problem with talking to people I don't know, is that I'm a bit shy (not really social anxiety, just shy). It takes me a bit to warm up and actually talk like I do with my good friends. That is my main problem with talking to women too, the shyness just sorta makes me seem too quiet. It does not take long for me to warm up to someone and converse fine, but initially it is super hard.

My problem with talking to people I don't know, is that I'm a bit shy (not really social anxiety, just shy). It takes me a bit to warm up and actually talk like I do with my good friends. That is my main problem with talking to women too, the shyness just sorta makes me seem too quiet. It does not take long for me to warm up to someone and converse fine, but initially it is super hard.

Yeah, that is difficult. I am pretty shy myself, believe it or not. It's not easy and takes a lot of effort but then I just think, hey. This person could be a really important part of my journey. Who knows? And I just force myself to do it. Once I get beyond the initial part, it all flows.

I usually try to, but sometimes I stumble and the other person loses interest. I've been trying to change a lot, since I can't stay this way forever unless I don't want my super boring life to change. It was much easier to mingle when I friend was with me, since he was the type to talk to anyone no problem, but he moved a few states over with his girlfriend last month.

Edit: My other friends are reclusive alcoholics who prefer to keep to themselves and just drink. They hated when new people were around. I try to avoid them somewhat now, but sometimes it's better to hang out then sit around doing nothing.

My social anxiety is weird, there are times where I'm outgoing, fun, and into it, and times where I'm like ugh don't even look at me.

Sometimes I'll spark up a talk with a stranger just so I can keep my conversation skills sharp. I think it's important to be able to talk with anyone/everyone. If you think you're shy, keep putting yourself in that situation. Talk with someone in the grocery line, or the coffee shop. Even making a little small talk with your cashier is a good start...

Yeah, I'm on that exact same page. I can strike up conversation with anyone. Unless it's a babe. Then I'm suddenly clueless.

Also, last night was so much damn fun. Tinder date- we shared a bottle of wine down by the riverrrrr. Went out for another drink after that. Hopped into a trash bin solely for the sake of making out in a trash bin. Made out a bunch more.. To the point where we were too distracted to realize we got on the wrong train, and next thing I knew, I was getting home at 3 am when I needed to be up at 7. Oops / worth it.

I think I wrote on haiku on here once about the time I was a teenager working at KFC and one of the cooks asked to kiss me by the dumpster. Not nearly as romantic as Ryan's experience.

Yo, VC hairy dudes...

HOW DO YOU PUT UP WITH BODY HAIR?! I've recently discovered some hairs popping up on my chest and I can't stand it. They're gone now, but I know they'll come back. I don't want to fight this war.

(I'm 27 and haven't had to deal with much body hair ever. Was nice while that lasted.)

Yo, VC hairy dudes...

HOW DO YOU PUT UP WITH BODY HAIR?! I've recently discovered some hairs popping up on my chest and I can't stand it. They're gone now, but I know they'll come back. I don't want to fight this war.

(I'm 27 and haven't had to deal with much body hair ever. Was nice while that lasted.)

Let it happen. There's nothing you can do. You've already lost this war.

Yo, VC hairy dudes...

I'm pretty hairy... like somewhere between just a little hairy and gross hairy.  Some girls don't mind it or even like the wooly bear look.  I hate it.  One time I asked my mom to wax my back cause I felt self conscious going to the beach shirtless.  I kinda wanna get someone to use some clippers on my back again, waxing is pretty painful, but I don't like being hairy on my back, it bothers me.

TMI-> On the other hand, shaving and tweezing can be really bad dude... like one time I buzzed my chest with clippers and started tweezing the shaven hairs out and then they'd grow back and some would grow underneath the skin and turn into zits, and if you don't like pop the hair out it can get ingrown and get infected. <- TMI

If you're hairy, you're more or less stuck with it.  If your just getting a bit coming in at 27 I don't think that's enough to worry about.

Yo, VC hairy dudes...

Chest hair isn't bad at all, unless it's a pelt.  Hell, even a pelt can be attractive to some women.