Capitol/Parlophone vinyl confusion (Radiohead, Coldplay etc.)

This is going to be a long post. Bear with me. 

Alright, Parlophone and Capitol (as far as I know) both distribute the same artists, but each are based in a different territory (Parlophone = EU/UK and Capitol = US). From my research, I've found that Capitol Records does not have the ability to cut AAA (analog-analog-analog) vinyl. What could be AAA releases become AAD (analog-analog-digital) because they use high quality digital files, allegedly. 

My goal is this: to end up with the best sounding releases from Capitol/Parlophone artists, analog when applicable.

In theory, albums such as OK Computer, which was recorded entirely in analog, are only available in their analog glory on the Parlophone label. The original pressings are, at least. 

In 2008, Capitol had a reissue campaign called "From The Vaults." If you are in the US and you have purchased any title from 2008 on from Radiohead (before In Rainbows), Coldplay (before Mylo Xyloto), The Verve's Urban Hymns, and many others, you probably have one of these releases. Branded as "audiophile," these 180-gram "limited" (repressed continuously) releases are, if my research is correct, digital.

Now, I could stop there. I could just buy these "From The Vaults" reissues and call it a day. Most of them (minus A Rush Of Blood To The Head and X&Y) have gotten good reviews. But after obtaining a UK import of OK Computer which I compared to my Capitol one, I can't do it. The Parlophone blows the Capitol one away.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding these releases. The strangest thing is that all of the titles that are in the "From The Vaults" series are still in print on Parlophone in the UK. What does this mean? Does it mean they are the Capitol versions branded under Parlophone? Does it mean that they went back to the analog masters and reissued it from there? Have they been continuously pressed for 15+ years in the UK? Only the oracle knows.

To add even more confusion to this whole ordeal, stores in my area have been stocking Parlophone editions of Coldplay's albums in stores. Why? Sites like ShopRadioCast have listed some releases under the Parlophone label for some reason. Technically, they should be using the Capitol release, or maybe it's a typo.

Haha sorry for the long post, maybe someone can shed some light on this?

I suggest you go to Steve Hoffman forum and look up threads called "radiohead vinyl versions" or something like that. There is some info there, but no definitive answers. But some of the info can be very helpful.

There are definitely different pressing that have been done though the years, and it seems, like the Capitol vaults versions, the UK represses from 2008- is where things get questionable. I have first pressing Pablo Honey, The Bends, OK Computer, and I recently picked up HTTT original UK press and it does indeed sound much better than my Vaults version.

The Capitol Vault series should not be listened to, especially Radiohead since there's just that much more blasphemy ruining those records that way.

I've got the original Parlophone pressings of Kid A, Amnesiac, and Hail to the Thief. The differences being the original pressings of Kid A and Amnesiac are the only ones that have extra writing (a bunch of weird shit) in the dead wax and Hail to the Thief doesn't have the black box on with the title on the cover. I dunno about OK Computer, that will be my next one to track down.

Dammit. Right after I complete my Radiohead collection.

So which of their albums were recorded fully analog? I doubt Kid A and Amnesiac were.

Why do you doubt that they were?

A lot of the Parlophone releases have been in print continuously but I doubt very much if the current ones are the same as the originals and with all the problems EMI had I expect the UK ones are now AAD as well. Like a few here I own the originals but it would be good to know for sure.

The ability to make AAA records is still around both here and in the US so I'm surprised that someone as big as Capitol has lost that ability, 

Careful, just because they're Parlophone, doesn't mean they're good. There was even one report that said their Parlophone reissue said something about being made by Capitol for Parlophone.

Yes I read that and also read that the Capitol re-issues were deemed better but quality control was poor so it was hit and miss. That does of course beg the question of what was deemed better.

It does seem as is quite often the case that the first pressing is the one you want and in this case the Parlophone ones. Plus with any big company release the info in the dead wax is the only real key to tying down where and how it was pressed and mastered.

Just had al

Careful, just because they're Parlophone, doesn't mean they're good. There was even one report that said their Parlophone reissue said something about being made by Capitol for Parlophone.

I've just had a look at my OK Computer which was sold as 2008 Parlophone and has the Parlophone logo (rather than the Capitol logo) on it, and I don't think it's materially any different from the Capitol version.

I've just had a look at my OK Computer which was sold as 2008 Parlophone and has the Parlophone logo (rather than the Capitol logo) on it, and I don't think it's materially any different from the Capitol version.

kannibal made a point about post 08 Parlophone releases being questionable so it's quite possible that they are actually Capitol pressings, as I say the markings in the dead wax are the only true way to check that out.