Shoegaze/Dream Pop Thread

Haaaaa, thebunk.

I'm half asleep at all times.

Ha no problem.

Anyway, I was not trying to start a VC-esque flame war which is all to common around here.  My only point was the thread evolved into a catch-all and as such, it is difficult to have a meaningful discussion.  Also, the discussion arguably has been more focused on not only the Shoegaze style bands but those who have arguably been influenced by them (which is where my Whirr coment came from).

Dream Pop which is one of my favorite genres seemed to have taken a back seat is all and in my opinion, warrants its own thread.

What else would you recommend?  I'm planning on checking out more eventually, but having a clear idea will expedite that process :)

I'm really stoked that the LP was cheap and still in print.

i got my copy off ebay from a band member in the band Permanent Collection. He threw in his NEWLY WED NEARLY DEAD 12" LP for free. its a good listen. but i like this little gem here: https://permanentcollection.bandcamp.com/

heres the full length: https://skrotup.bandcamp.com/album/newly-wed-nearly-dead

let me know what you think.

I can definitely do that but the underlying point is that this thread is too broad.  Bands such as Chapterhouse, Ride, Slowdive are completely different animals then those such as Beach House, Yumi Zuma, Pure Bathing Culture and others.  While I think most agree that Cocteau Twins are one of the primary influencers of both genres, in the mid-80s both genres began to evolve quite a bit.  At that time you had a number of the Creation Records bands begin to define what will become Shoegaze while they are picking up ideas from a number of US indie bands of the time (Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, etc).  Dream Pop continued to evolve from the Cocteau Twins blueprint due to the likes of bands such as The Wake and those on the Sarah Records label (i.e The Field Mice). 

Skimming through this thread, you have people trying to state bands like The Album Leaf, Bon Iver, Antlers and many, many others belong in here.  And do not even get me started on the so called nu-metal esque bands people are lumping in here like Whirr. 

"Machine Gun" by Slowdive (Souvlaki, in case you are not familiar /sarcasm font) -- Dream Pop or Shoegaze song?

But thanks for your contribution. If you start new separate threads for Shoegaze (proto-Shoegaze, early/traditional Shoegaze, 00s, modern/new/nu-, folkgaze, doomgaze, gloomgaze, stonegaze, postmetalgaze, dronegaze, etc.) and Dream Pop, I bet the mods will lock it up.

So jump on in and have some fun, share some bands we need to check out. Heck, this thread alone has wrecked my vinyl budget this year, so I am having to moonlight to stay out of vinyl debt.

Really cool bands that have done Kickstarters for vinyl, like the loveliescrushing project - never heard of them, and apparently seminal in the 90's movement/ influential of bands today extending even to the pure drone and experimental arenas.

I love this thread <3

"Machine Gun" by Slowdive (Souvlaki, in case you are not familiar /sarcasm font) -- Dream Pop or Shoegaze song?

If we want to start looking at individual songs then that is different all together. And yes, if it came down to it I would definitely say Machine Gun is more Dream Pop then a Shoegaze song.  In fact I think there are a few examples where you could say specific songs from some Shoegaze labeled bands would meet the Dream Pop criteria.  That said, Slowdive are a band whereby over 3 albums evolved quite a bit.  as an example, I don't think I would describe Pygmalion as Shoegaze or Dreampop (more ambient then anything).

But thanks for your contribution. If you start new separate threads for Shoegaze (proto-Shoegaze, early/traditional Shoegaze, 00s, modern/new/nu-, folkgaze, doomgaze, gloomgaze, stonegaze, postmetalgaze, dronegaze, etc.) and Dream Pop, I bet the mods will lock it up.

So jump on in and have some fun, share some bands we need to check out. Heck, this thread alone has wrecked my vinyl budget this year, so I am having to moonlight to stay out of vinyl debt.

Really cool bands that have done Kickstarters for vinyl, like the loveliescrushing project - never heard of them, and apparently seminal in the 90's movement/ influential of bands today extending even to the pure drone and experimental arenas.

I love this thread <3

I hear you on micro-micro genres though I think Dream Pop is completely different then an era of shoegaze or any other genre with gaze in it.  Also think a thread for just Dream Pop could easily stand on its own two feet.  The fact that Sarah Records was mentioned once in this thread other then by myself and Cascine has not been is telling.

Also think a thread for just Dream Pop could easily stand on its own two feet.  The fact that Sarah Records was mentioned once in this thread other then by myself and Cascine has not been is telling.

I don't think it could.  I'd say you'll have better luck trying to extend the dream pop part of this thread than anything else.  I'm not trying to discourage you, I just think realistically that dream pop is not a big genre around these parts, at least not enough to branch off into a new thread.

I don't think it could.  I'd say you'll have better luck trying to extend the dream pop part of this thread than anything else.  I'm not trying to discourage you, I just think realistically that dream pop is not a big genre around these parts, at least not enough to branch off into a new thread.

I think Dream Pop is a big enough genre to stand on its own and think a lot of it may be that people are not as knowledgable.  That said, whether it would get the views\discussion on this forum, yeah I am not sure.  Still, cannot see how mods would want to shut it down given there is a PO thread for every random release from bands across multiple genres. 

That does not stop me from creating threads about any current music released in the last 30 years over on the Steve Hoffman forum. 

I fail to see what the issue is with the thread & discussion being Shoegaze AND Dreampop. To most of us here who are actively discussing & sharing, they're two genres and styles that although shouldn't cross paths and have nothing in common per music snobs, they're still parallel to each other nonetheless.

And we like them both enough to keep it all in this one silly thread and go on tangents and share bands & music that may not even fall within those parameters and are still good music.

I think Dream Pop is a big enough genre to stand on its own and think a lot of it may be that people are not as knowledgable.  That said, whether it would get the views\discussion on this forum, yeah I am not sure.  Still, cannot see how mods would want to shut it down given there is a PO thread for every random release from bands across multiple genres. 

That does not stop me from creating threads about any current music released in the last 30 years over on the Steve Hoffman forum. 

Your avatar makes it hard to take you seriously and there is science behind it:

http://www.academia.edu/5174604/Avatars_Appearance_And_Social_Behavior_In_Online_Virtual_Worlds

Also, I disagree. 

I fail to see what the issue is with the thread & discussion being Shoegaze AND Dreampop. To most of us here who are actively discussing & sharing, they're two genres and styles that although shouldn't cross paths and have nothing in common per music snobs, they're still parallel to each other nonetheless.

And we like them both enough to keep it all in this one silly thread and go on tangents and share bands & music that may not even fall within those parameters and are still good music.

If there is no interest and if people truly believe that, then I will not waste my time, pure and simple. 

Regardless of what you say, there is little Dream Pop discussion in this thread outside of Beach House, a few Captured Tracks artists and a bunch that do not belong in either of the genres in the title of this thread. 

If there is no interest and if people truly believe that, then I will not waste my time, pure and simple. 

Regardless of what you say, there is little Dream Pop discussion in this thread outside of Beach House, a few Captured Tracks artists and a bunch that do not belong in either of the genres in the title of this thread. 

I think the point many here are trying to make is that those active in this thread like both dream pop and shoegaze and/or whatever else happens to be influenced by either and/or both.  As such, it makes sense to talk about all those things here where we are already looking.

I love having catch-all threads like this. Makes it easier to keep up with releases. The variety of bands posted in the Stoner/Doom thread is much more eclectic, but it works well. This thread seems to be serving its purpose. It ain't broke.

This.

I thought about mentioning the Stoner/Doom thread then forgot about it.

I love having catch-all threads like this. Makes it easier to keep up with releases. The variety of bands posted in the Stoner/Doom thread is much more eclectic, but it works well. This thread seems to be serving its purpose. It ain't broke.

My point is that if this thread is dominated by Shoegaze bands, why would anyone want to contribute a well thoughtout post of a great Dream Pop album to check out for it to only be swallowed up by posts that have nothing to do with that topic (in my opinion).  The fact is if Sarah Records and The Wake have not been discussed ad nauseum in this thread then something is amiss. 

Anyway, not wasting any more breath on the matter.

My point is that if this thread is dominated by Shoegaze bands, why would anyone want to contribute a well thoughtout post of a great Dream Pop album to check out for it to only be swallowed up by posts that have nothing to do with that topic (in my opinion).  The fact is if Sarah Records and The Wake have not been discussed ad nauseum in this thread then something is amiss. 

you are a fake account right? either that or you have Asperger's.

My point is that if this thread is dominated by Shoegaze bands, why would anyone want to contribute a well thoughtout post of a great Dream Pop album to check out for it to only be swallowed up by posts that have nothing to do with that topic (in my opinion). The fact is if Sarah Records and The Wake have not been discussed ad nauseum in this thread then something is amiss.

since the thread title has dream pop in the name, I know it will contain dream pop music.