PO: Foo Fighters - Sonic Highway

Album is really solid. Didn't really care much for "Subterranean" on first listen. Maybe it'll grow on me. Strange considering "There Is Nothing Left to Lose" is my favorite Foos album. The sound on the vinyl is fantastic too (at least in comparison to the MP3s that came with it). Wish they had done vinyl-ripped MP3s like they did for "Wasting Light" though. 

I got the L.A. cover from Amazon, btw. 

I got Seattle from Amazon.

I can't see why critics are somewhat dismissing this album; I think it's great!

I can totally see why.  I think unless you're pretty into the foos you're going to find this record pretty samesies and done before.  Nothing new and what is done well on the songs I've heard, has been done by Dave and Co. better already.  (just my two cents)

I've seen the foo fighters probably a half dozen times and think they have about a half dozen GREAT songs.  They've more or less made the migration to the land of safe, sexless, dad-rock.

how this grohl fellow gets away with all this without totally over-saturating the market, is beyond me.  love the show, could do without the songs.

I can see why this wouldn't be received as well as their past work. It's not your typical mainstream rock album with all of the 5+ minute songs. And it lacks that real breakout hit, though The Feast and the Famine comes close.

I've been listening to them for almost 20 years and I'm enjoying the change of pace with this album. I was skeptical of the "gimmick", but it worked and they've ended up with some of the more interesting songs in their catalog.

But that's just my opinion. Also, got the shipping notice on my deluxe package a minute ago. Excited to get it.

This album is pretty mediocre to me. I know Dave supposedly put together this 'round the country recording schedule to shake up their writing process and get a fresh sound, but Sonic Highways feels like they showed up at the studio in each city and slapped together some straightforward, albeit slightly-more-jammy-than-usual-to-fill-time-because-there's-only-eight-tracks-on-the-record instrumentals, then finished the tracking with some weak lyrics that Dave hurriedly lifted from the interviews they did for the show. Congregation is basically Times Like These with different lyrics. In The Clear is basically Congregation with different lyrics. And we all know that Times Like These is just Learn To Fly with different lyrics. Yawn.

This album is pretty mediocre to me. I know Dave supposedly put together this 'round the country recording schedule to shake up their writing process and get a fresh sound, but Sonic Highways feels like they showed up at the studio in each city and slapped together some straightforward, albeit slightly-more-jammy-than-usual-to-fill-time-because-there's-only-eight-tracks-on-the-record instrumentals, then finished the tracking with some weak lyrics that Dave hurriedly lifted from the interviews they did for the show. Congregation is basically Times Like These with different lyrics. In The Clear is basically Congregation with different lyrics. And we all know that Times Like These is just Learn To Fly with different lyrics. Yawn.

Yes! I like the Foos but I'm even becoming bored with the HBO show. Bummer. Still thinking about picking this up, but nothing from the show has blown me away, all of the songs have the same structure.

Why not? That's my clear favorite Foo album.

If that's true, then you have terrible taste.

While taste is largely subjective, if your favorite Foo Fighters album is not either Foo Fighters, The Colour and the Shape or There is Nothing Left to Lose, then you are just objectively wrong. 

If that's true, then you have terrible taste.

While taste is largely subjective, if your favorite Foo Fighters album is not either Foo Fighters, The Colour and the Shape or There is Nothing Left to Lose, then you are just objectively wrong.

That's the first Foo album I purchased. I of course knew their hits but had never listened to an entire album. I have now but that one is still special to me. If I had started from the beginning, I'm sure if feel differently.