Angry messages and PMs from sellers/buyers

Was it a Richie brand coat?

oh ya, sure, haha.  ;)

and geezus, come back to MUP.

Pretty sure Avery was just talking about how neutral feedback doesn't hurt sellers, especially with percentage ratings.

YES!

as far as the topic of vinyl goes, some dingus left me negative feedback without even contacting me for a fingerprint that i missed.  i bought it at a store, had a change of heart and made the mistake of not inspecting it closely before sending it off.  i contacted him after getting the negative asking if he would remove/change his feedback if i offered a partial refund or if he would send the record back for a full refund.  he said he would but never did and then stopped contacting me.  so much worse than a neutral mark and even i got over that knowing it was just one neg and anyone who read the comments (his and my rebuttal) could figure out if they wanted to buy from me or not.

In order to truly recover from a neutral or negative feedback, you have to post an ALL CAPS rebuttal and call the buyer a CROOK!  And then you have to change your Discogs/eBay 'About Me' to a long disclaimer about how you now have XYZ policies because of SCAMMERS!  Otherwise, smart, discerning buyers won't realize you are safe to buy from.

Did you do that, avery?  Or did you succumb to the punisher?

@avery

That's b.s. that he left a neutral.

I feel if a grading discrepancy can be cured with a cleaning, no harm, no foul.

On that note, I try and make damn sure I clean anything I sell. I mean, if I'm taking the time to set up a backdrop and take some purty pictures, the record is already out, why not clean it?

I feel like your conception of what I'm doing is way cooler and more exciting than what I really am doing, which is having a bit of inside fun with a poster I know from another forum from years ago, asking sincere questions about buying/selling, and enjoying the Dolph Lundgren references.  So, in summary, yes and yes.  Let's throw down.

I bought the MoFi Sea Change from some dude for 150 and I told him how excited I was and asked very politely if he would ship it outside the sleeve with stiffeners and everything. He messaged me back and said "ok." 

Couple weeks later, this beat up box shows up and the whole thing is just banging around inside and ended up having some awful seam splits and bent corners. When I confronted the dude about it, he got really offensive and said something to the effect of "oh my god, I hope you didn't take the records out of the sleeve or EVEN WORSE PLAY THEM!" and a whole bunch of other crap and refused to give me a partial refund literally because I looked at the records.

Took it up with ebay and they got him to give me like 20 bucks or something. What a prick.

I feel like your conception of what I'm doing is way cooler and more exciting than what I really am doing, which is having a bit of inside fun with a poster I know from another forum from years ago, asking sincere questions about buying/selling, and enjoying the Dolph Lundgren references.  So, in summary, yes and yes.  Let's throw down.

I'm enjoying this thread a lot myself. Seems like people are happily venting years of suppressed frustration and anger towards online feedback systems.

I think this thread will be directly responsible for preventing a half dozen or more strokes.

In order to truly recover from a neutral or negative feedback, you have to post an ALL CAPS rebuttal and call the buyer a CROOK!  And then you have to change your Discogs/eBay 'About Me' to a long disclaimer about how you now have XYZ policies because of SCAMMERS!  Otherwise, smart, discerning buyers won't realize you are safe to buy from.

Did you do that, avery?  Or did you succumb to the punisher?

hahaha, did he really amend his "about me" section?  lol fuck.  seems like you just bought from an overreacting nutball is all.  sorry bout that.

and it's true VC, bake and me go back a bit.  he once bought avery jr. a baked good at disneyland.

@avery

That's b.s. that he left a neutral.

I feel if a grading discrepancy can be cured with a cleaning, no harm, no foul.

On that note, I try and make damn sure I clean anything I sell. I mean, if I'm taking the time to set up a backdrop and take some purty pictures, the record is already out, why not clean it?

not a neutral, a negative.  i wouldn't care so much if it was neutral, but i tried to fix things so he'd take the neg back and when it didn't work out, it bugged me a little but i got over it eventually.  i DID NOT send him an angry message/PM like bake got, lol.

hahaha, did he really amend his "about me" section?  lol fuck.  seems like you just bought from an overreacting nutball is all.  sorry bout that.

and it's true VC, bake and me go back a bit.  he once bought avery jr. a baked good at disneyland.

Haha.  No, the About Me reference is just from viewing random Discogs profiles. :)

I also gave avery jr my extra pads of butter from my bread bowl!

Haha.  No, the About Me reference is just from viewing random Discogs profiles. :)

I also gave avery jr my extra pads of butter from my bread bowl!

oh wow.  my personal experience is that the sellers i've encountered on discogs are way more relaxed.  haha.

and true!  she still loves eating butter by itself... 

Two questions...

1. Do you guys think that a buyer, er, I mean 'punisher', leaving a negative or neutral feedback, asking a question that the seller doesn't like, or asking for a refund for a reason that a seller disagrees with gives a seller carte blanch to break a marketplace's policies and send retaliatory/inflammatory messages? Also, is a buyer supposed to match their expectations to the marketplace's policies (sellers must provide accurate descriptions that list all flaws and defects, feedback should be accurate and honest) or a minority group of sellers' policies (if the description is slightly inaccurate or some flaws were omitted, don't be a punisher and instead accept a partial refund, negative and neutral feedback should never be left)?

2. If you're a victim of punishment or a seller who has left eBay/Discogs because it became a punisher safe haven, what do you think about sellers who receive negative or neutral feedback but don't engage in angry PMs or personal battles? What reasons would they have for not challenging or raising hell over each individual negative or neutral feedback?

The term "punisher" really struck a nerve with you. Just to be clear, not every buyer is a punisher, nor is every buyer who leaves negative or neutral feedback a punisher. A punisher is a buyer who puts unrealistic expectations on a seller, doesn't communicate their grievances before filing a claim or airing details of a bad transaction, or makes unreasonable requests of the seller, i.e. demanding a tracking number moments after paying and opening a claim if the seller doesn't respond within a day; freaking out over a minor scratch on a $4 record; constantly messaging about the whereabouts of a record when the tracking number clearly states what's going on; etc....

I've rarely dealt with punishment from buyers. And the one time I got neutral feedback it was warranted because I didn't notice an issue upon inspection. That said, reading this thread and others here makes it evident that there are a number of punishers among us.

Like Derby said, if everyone adheres to the "don't be a dick" rule, all will be well.

I sold a Thrice record to some dude on reddit this past holiday season, and oh boy. In most cases, I typically ask people to wait 3-4 business days before I can ship (sometimes faster, sometimes slower) however I forgot to mention that to this seller so I guess it was partially my fault there. But anyways, I log in two days later and see that he's started a thread about me calling me a scammer. he basically said something like "its been almost 48 hours and I have yet to receive any confirmation that the payment was received...I'm leaving this as a warning to the community to not deal with this user". Thankfully some people came to my defense cause it was Christmas Eve for Christ's sake. even after being called out for being an impatient crybaby he replied with "no harm done if he's actually not a scammer... I just thought it would be a good idea to warn people. I'll remove this once I receive my record." Anyways, I mailed it out like a day or two after Christmas which already was my original plan. Dude was such a prick.

/r/vinyl collectors, man....

As a seller: Under-promise and over-achieve.

As a buyer: expect the worst.

Like ebay states, "try resolving issues directly with seller." Filing a claim should be a last, LAST resort.

If under-graded, request partial refund from seller.

If seller is unwilling, return for refund.

If seller is unwilling, open claim w/eBay.

DO NOT open a claim while item return is in progress, that's lame.

ALWAYS CONTACT SELLER IF THERE IS A PROBLEM !!!!

Negative feedback is for scammers and rip-off artists.

I don't think I've ever left a neutral, not leaving any feedback is my neutral.

If you get a less than perfect record, and a partial refund = positive feedback.

If you return record for a refund = positive feedback.

Obviously damaged in transit, NOT DUE TO INADEQUATE PACKAGING, NOT the sellers fault, sorry.

Sealed records that are damaged??? NOT the sellers fault. (I'm not talking about seam splits, that IS improper packaging)

I agree with most of this except "Buyer expect the worse". Someone spending $150 on SeaChange should not expect the worse, instead, ask a lot of questions and give specific shipping instructions (and if possible before concluding a deal).

Well did you end up playing the record

I bought the MoFi Sea Change from some dude for 150 and I told him how excited I was and asked very politely if he would ship it outside the sleeve with stiffeners and everything. He messaged me back and said "ok."

Couple weeks later, this beat up box shows up and the whole thing is just banging around inside and ended up having some awful seam splits and bent corners. When I confronted the dude about it, he got really offensive and said something to the effect of "oh my god, I hope you didn't take the records out of the sleeve or EVEN WORSE PLAY THEM!" and a whole bunch of other crap and refused to give me a partial refund literally because I looked at the records.

Took it up with ebay and they got him to give me like 20 bucks or something. What a prick.

I got a 7" record in an envelope with bubble wrap (no cardboard inside to protect it) and a corner got bent in shipping as it seemed like the package was a bit mishandled by USPS (as they often are).  I wasn't too bent out of shape about the bent corner, so I left the buyer a positive rating with the constructive comment "I wish the packing had been more securely padded but I was happy with the record."

Dude went ballistic about the positive feedback...

"Is this a fucking joke? It was in a bubble mailer and padded with shipping bubble padding. The 7" came to you in perfect condition I'm sure. How could you have possibly wanted me to ship it? I don't appreciate this snarky unnecessary feedback and if you want a full refund, you can send the record back to me. Until then, go fuck yourself you whiny pretentious little bitch. You don't deserve a record like that for only 12 dollars."

I messaged back about cardboard protecting records, his reply.

"I've bought a lot of records on eBay and none if them have come in cardboard mailers. Like I said they are expensive. If the record was $100, I can see how shelling out $5 for a mailer might make sense. But it was $13. After the costs of the mailer and shipping, there would have ben no point in selling the record, because I wouldn't have made any money on it. I think the fact that you got a rare record for such a good deal would necessitate some flexibility on your part. Unfortunately, you seem to be a collector and a reviewer, so I can see how you would be overwhelmingly particular no matter the case.

Furthermore, I'm not looking for constructive criticism. I sold you a record at an extremely fair price and packaged it well. It's a simple transaction that you are indeed making difficult. I know this isn't a productive conversation, but it would be nice if you at least tried to understand the view of the seller."

I got a 7" record in an envelope with bubble wrap (no cardboard inside to protect it) and a corner got bent in shipping as it seemed like the package was a bit mishandled by USPS (as they often are). I wasn't too bent out of shape about the bent corner, so I left the buyer a positive rating with the constructive comment "I wish the packing had been more securely padded but I was happy with the record."

Dude went ballistic about the positive feedback...

"Is this a fucking joke? It was in a bubble mailer and padded with shipping bubble padding. The 7" came to you in perfect condition I'm sure. How could you have possibly wanted me to ship it? I don't appreciate this snarky unnecessary feedback and if you want a full refund, you can send the record back to me. Until then, go fuck yourself you whiny pretentious little bitch. You don't deserve a record like that for only 12 dollars."

I messaged back about cardboard protecting records, his reply.

"I've bought a lot of records on eBay and none if them have come in cardboard mailers. Like I said they are expensive. If the record was $100, I can see how shelling out $5 for a mailer might make sense. But it was $13. After the costs of the mailer and shipping, there would have ben no point in selling the record, because I wouldn't have made any money on it. I think the fact that you got a rare record for such a good deal would necessitate some flexibility on your part. Unfortunately, you seem to be a collector and a reviewer, so I can see how you would be overwhelmingly particular no matter the case.

Furthermore, I'm not looking for constructive criticism. I sold you a record at an extremely fair price and packaged it well. It's a simple transaction that you are indeed making difficult. I know this isn't a productive conversation, but it would be nice if you at least tried to understand the view of the seller."

Wow... It doesn't matter how much the record cost, they should all be shipped in cardboard mailers. If he was so concerned about making money then he should've charged more for the shipping.