The Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters thread

My Songs for a Blue Guitar came yesterday and like others have said, it's very no frills with crappy white paper inners and a thin sleeve obviously thrown together to make a cash grab as I thought from the onset. I will say mine sounds much brighter than the Plain pressing, and sounds way more full instead of "thick" or "muddy". The highs in the guitar tones are more present to me, and his voice is more crisp. Certainly not a must have if you're not a completist and already own the Plain version, but this will be my playing copy from here on out for sure. Do wish it had been pressed on thicker vinyl though. Plain gets points for their jacket and vinyl weight...

Finding differences in the original version of Rollercoaster vs. the reissue concerning track order and jackets & sleeves...

Jacket Comparison: http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah248/JasonGalloway77/download 1_zpse1ssmtz6.jpg

Original Inner sleeves:http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah248/JasonGalloway77/download_zpsy5yj7ld9.jpg

Reissue Inner sleeves: http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah248/JasonGalloway77/download 2_zpsen6dwh1k.jpg

Interesting. I think I also heard the original jacket is thicker than the reissue too.

Mine shipped too. I find it pretty surprising tbh because it is/was listed as #1 in folk rock on amazon.co.uk, and with there only being 1000 copies being pressed for the UK, I thought they'd be out of copies by the time I pre-ordered. 

Cool.

Anyway, let's all watch as Koz announces some wicked rad colours for the US release.

Do you mean me? I was just joking. Like it'd be ironic if after some of us have gotten pumped for the Europe release, the US release gets some fancy colours, like Benji did. Just speculation.

Pretty sure he means Koz, dude. 

Koz knows we're all scenesters with beards and tennis shoes. Releasing this in UK with zero fanfare could be his way of messing with us. You can never tell with him. 

Pretty sure he means Koz, dude. 

Koz knows we're all scenesters with beards and tennis shoes. Releasing this in UK with zero fanfare could be his way of messing with us. You can never tell with him. 

Yeah I realised just after I posted. Brainfreeze.

and yeah I don't get it either, and I don't really understand Koz' motivation to make his vinyl releases so limited. I mean, limited stuff is cool and all, but it's also... limited. Fewer people get to hear your music on a really nice medium. Plus you get paid less. I don't get it.

Yeah I realised just after I posted. Brainfreeze.

and yeah I don't get it either, and I don't really understand Koz' motivation to make his vinyl releases so limited. I mean, limited stuff is cool and all, but it's also... limited. Fewer people get to hear your music on a really nice medium. Plus you get paid less. I don't get it.

He openly loathes us. He secretly pities us.

B)

Someone over at Sad Reminders was saying they emailed Caldo and got an answer along the lines of "Rough Trade is handling the Euro vinyl release and Vinyl Films/Caldo is handling the US release, but still have not released information concerning it and to just keep checking Caldo's site sporadically"... So I guess Rough Trade went ahead with their end of things and didn't let him hold up their money making machine lol

......"Rough Trade is handling the Euro vinyl release and Vinyl Films/Caldo is handling the US release, but still have not released information concerning it and to just keep checking Caldo's site sporadically"...

When I read this, what I hear is "we're going to sell it sooner or later and don't really give a fuck if you buy it or not"

Ordered a copy from Amazon UK.

When I read this, what I hear is "we're going to sell it sooner or later and don't really give a fuck if you buy it or not"

Ordered a copy from Amazon UK.

I get that plants are backed up with stupid major releases and small stuff like Koz gets shuffled to the side and rescheduled over & over again, and add to that the records are pressed in Europe or elsewhere to further delay the arrival for those in the states, but not having your own website update a release date when the product is already on the street and in the hands of fans? He needs to get it together no matter how much he hates the internet or technology as a whole. This is why you pay people to do these things for you... I'm glad Rough Trade did their thing and don't mind having paid a few dollars more for longer travel than to wait around on someone who can't even respect his paying fanbase.

Mine shipped too. I find it pretty surprising tbh because it is/was listed as #1 in folk rock on amazon.co.uk, and with there only being 1000 copies being pressed for the UK, I thought they'd be out of copies by the time I pre-ordered. 

Cool.

Anyway, let's all watch as Koz announces some wicked rad colours for the US release.

was the UK /1000 ever confirmed anywhere?

was the UK /1000 ever confirmed anywhere?

Wasn't confirmed, given that we've had no word from Caldo Verde/Rough Trade about it. Sounds like the kind of thing Koz would do though. Only evidence we've got to go off is this:

http://www.lostinvinyl.org/preorder-now/sun-kil-moon-universal-themes-limited-2lp-release-date-24th-august