The Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters thread

Seems to be about the same quality jacket and insert that Live at Biko has. I was thinking the days of nice gatefolds with other people's art work are past now in favor of easier packaging made with Kozelek's own camera phone snaps. Gotta cut out more hands trying to take from the cash pot...Glad to know the pressing quality is good though, perhaps that's thanks to Rough Trade?

Not sure if it saves a couple of bucks compared to other places but Amoeba has the new reissues (including Blue Guitar) in stock as well as 15% off all weekend with the code AUG1515R, free shipping too. Sorry if this has already been mentioned or doesn't make make of a difference price-wise!

Code is àug1515h

Scored an admiral black for like $65 used. There is an April up but $175 used is insanity! Thanks!

I picked up a copy of "Blue Guitar" today at a local shop.  I haven't compared the sound, however the packaging on the Plain version is much nicer.

For anyone concerned that they used the same plates or mastering as the Plain version, the new version says "Mastered By Capitol" in the matrix.

EDIT: Compared both my blue vinyl Plain copy against the new Island pressing.  There isn't a huge difference in sound.  The Island may be slightly better (a little more clear without being overly bright), but it's not a huge difference.  The Plain packaging is MUCH nicer.  I'll probably be selling my Plain copy.

Snagged an Admiral for $25 off eBay a year or two ago. Did best offer on a BIN of $70 just messing around and they took it.

Works out like that sometimes. I picked up my 1st pressing of Ocean Beach along those same lines. Guy had it up on eBay so I messaged him right after he listed offering to buy it for double what he had for the opening bid which was in the $70ish dollar range, but he declined (this was like 01-02). So, after 6 days I end up winning it from him for like $30ish... should have taken my first offer ;)

I picked up a copy of "Blue Guitar" today at a local shop.  I haven't compared the sound, however the packaging on the Plain version is much nicer.

Yeah but the Plain version literally sounded like the CD with extra pops & ticks.

You can't listen to artwork. Hopefully Island figured out how to master a record as Blue Guitar needs a decent press.

I will listen to songs for a blue guitar tonight and report back as vc seems to be more concerned with the jacket as opposed to the sound

that is a question that nobody has answered but instead are talking about jackets

EDIT: Compared both my blue vinyl Plain copy against the new Island pressing.  There isn't a huge difference in sound.  The Island may be slightly better (a little more clear without being overly bright), but it's not a huge difference.

I wouldn't mind a second opinion, but the sound quality has been addressed to some extent.

Blue Guitar is not being distributed around here (yet?), so I just ordered a copy from some online shop for a decent 25€ shipped. Hopefully it arrives soon, I can't wait to properly complain about the sleeve.

Thing could be in a paper bag that says "Red House Painters" on it and I'd be happy. :)  Glad that I've been able to knock out almost all the RHP releases this year (and most of the SKM I'm missing too).

Not at all! I bought it at an ebayshop called marvelio. They claimed it was their last copy, but I wouldn't take that at face value..

Thanks for the info. I haven't received an email from amazon.com yet but looking for a fallback in case. Hopefully these start flowing into europe pretty soon.