Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

First, the only reason I came at your post hard is you said the best in 20 years which means you rank this higher than Madvillainy (left off my personal list due to only having 5 spots but I do recognize it is far better than anything I listed.) and countless other albums. Second, DOOM aside, would you not agree my list is pretty underground? I would bet $5 nobody could tell me who put out SotP without google. I've met only a couple people who know anything about HoK. Kool Keith can be argued for being well known though, dude is a legend.

Oh indeed, you're list is very underground.   I realized the minute that I clicked post that I had screwed up on my terminology.   I guess the verbage I was looking for is conscious.   Thus why the majority of my favorite mainstream albums came in 94' or prior (The Score, Illmatic, Buhloone Mindstate, Black Reign,ext)... granted there are other albums from the mid-nineties I could easily add to my list (Pieces of Man, Me Against the World, ext).   

As to Madvillainy... it's a great fucking album, no doubt, but MF Doom's flow isn't for everybody.  It's an acquired taste sort of like Homeboy Sandman (whose First of a Living Breed I adore) or Earl Sweatshirt (I'm also a fan of Doris).   So I wouldn't say that's necessarily an obvious, "how dare you not include ____" answer.

Oh indeed, you're list is very underground. I realized the minute that I clicked post that I had screwed up on my terminology. I guess the verbage I was looking for is conscious. Thus why the majority of my favorite mainstream albums came in 94' or prior (The Score, Illmatic, Buhloone Mindstate, Black Reign,ext)... granted there are other albums from the mid-nineties I could easily add to my list (Pieces of Man, Me Against the World, ext).

As to Madvillainy... it's a great fucking album, no doubt, but MF Doom's flow isn't for everybody. It's an acquired taste sort of like Homeboy Sandman (whose First of a Living Breed I adore) or Earl Sweatshirt (I'm also a fan of Doris). So I wouldn't say that's necessarily an obvious, "how dare you not include ____" answer.

Ah, completely understand. I almost put Doris on my list, it's a great album.

First, the only reason I came at your post hard is you said the best in 20 years which means you rank this higher than Madvillainy (left off my personal list due to only having 5 spots but I do recognize it is far better than anything I listed.) and countless other albums. Second, DOOM aside, would you not agree my list is pretty underground? I would bet $5 nobody could tell me who put out SotP without google. I've met only a couple people who know anything about HoK. Kool Keith can be argued for being well known though, dude is a legend.

Who cares it's pre/current psychopathic related it's not like any of that stuff was groundbreaking. Don't get me wrong hok/twisted are talented in their genre but you can't possibly have that in a top 5 of hip hop/rap in the past 20+ years and expect to have anyone take you seriously.

I will agree on Kool Keith, Dayton Family,slum village ,ect

Who cares it's pre/current psychopathic related it's not like any of that stuff was groundbreaking. Don't get me wrong hok/twisted are talented in their genre but you can't possibly have that in a top 5 of hip hop/rap in the past 20+ years and expect to have anyone take you seriously.

I will agree on Kool Keith, Dayton Family,ect

Have you listened to Season Of The Pumpkin and Mostasteless? Like really listened?

Yes. I will Agee for their genre they're great albums but for hip hop as a whole they don't stand a chance

I think my personal tastes affect my participation in this debate because this is what I grew up on so of course I'll defend and push for it against albums that are thought to be better by a majority :P

getting ready for bladie to make a dumb comment, SO READY FOR THIS

this is a really great album but i'm not sure how much i'm going to listen. it's super dense and can only really be taken as a whole. the beats are amazing, everything else needs a while more to take in. u is my favorite at this point.