Hail to the Theif Captiol vs. Parlaphone

Ok, here's a breakdown of what I got...

PpbbpSU.jpg

I ordered from the main Amazon.co.uk selling page HERE

This is an album of the major identifying features of the labels, sleeves and the jacket. HERE.

The runout info is below.

Matrix / Runout (A Side): MPO 855229-1 2A

Matrix / Runout (B Side): MPO 855229-1 2B

Matrix / Runout (C Side): MPO 855229-1 2C

Matrix / Runout (D Side): MPO 855229-1 2D

* All hand-etched. Not stamped. No other words or markings.

From what I can tell, there are no current Discogs listings that match this perfectly.

This one's runouts are most similar to a 2015 EU Parlo press HERE.

They are not exactly the same though (ex. MPO 855229-1 2A vs. MPO 855229-1 A)

Other features that appear to vary enough for ID purposes are the specific wording on the vinyl labels. Yes, it may say Parlo... but there's several variations on that as well it seems. 

Barcode wording:

Manufactured and distributed by Parlophone (mine) vs. Manufactured and distributed by EMI 

​Am I blatantly missing the correct Discogs listing? Or am I correct that this combo of runouts, label, sleeve and jacket features is new to the database?

Curious to hear your thoughts...

Ok, to follow up on this post...

I found this comparison of three different pressings of OKC.

The one I have is the one referred to as the MPO version.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/radiohead-vinyl-versions.169414/page-11

-

-

So I found some better 24/96 needledrops of both the original NODATA and the later Capitol Vaults reissue to compare with my needledrop of the MPO cut.

I'll be posting a sample of each pressing, same song, same section, including my own. A big thank you to Dr. Robert for the Capitol and NODATA 24/96 needledrops.

Here are my thoughts on each pressing.

The Original UK Pressing - NODATA :

• Buttery-smooth, dynamic, excellent definition of instruments and wonderful tone balance, it's not too bright nor warm or muffled, it's simply great.
  • Cartridge : AT33EV with elliptical stylus
  • Pro-ject Tube Box SE II Preamp

"From The Capitol Vaults" US Reissue - MASTERED BY CAPITOL :

• Smooth but quite the mellow/murky sound on this pressing, it's one of two extremes. The CD is far too bright but this pressing is too muddy sounding with a bump in the lower midrange.
  • Cartridge : AT33EV with Line-Contact stylus
  • Pro-ject Tube Box SE II Preamp

The Current UK/Europe Reissue - MPO :

• It sounds exactly the same as the original it seems, just as dynamic (if not slightly more, this is what the DR meter for Foobar2000 tells me), smooth and defined as the original NODATA. It's tone also seems to be the same.
  • Cartridge : Shure M91ED with EVG/Jico elliptical stylus

The difference between the MPO and NODATA cut is abysmal [read: miniscule] if it's there at all, but my MPO needledrop sounds a bit more bright to me, I'm sure this is because of the difference between the Pro-ject Tube Box SE II and my DJ Art Pre II though.

It seems that from this analysis (for what it's worth) has determined that the the original NO DATA Parlo Press and the new MPO Parlo press were on par with each other. 

Damn. So annoyed they took all the deluxe editions down from Spotify.

Really hope this results in quality US pressings. Would love to add The Bends, some of their EP's, ext. to my collection. I also really want a pressing of In Rainbows with the second half of the album. It's the only way I will buy the thing as most of my favorite songs are on that side of the album (see my screen name).

I'd also probably drop the cash for deluxe versions with all the B-sides or a boxset of all the b-sides.

Really hope this results in quality US pressings. Would love to add The Bends, some of their EP's, ext. to my collection. I also really want a pressing of In Rainbows with the second half of the album. It's the only way I will buy the thing as most of my favorite songs are on that side of the album (see my screen name).

I'd also probably drop the cash for deluxe versions with all the B-sides or a boxset of all the b-sides.

It would be rad to see the IR B-sides on vinyl... Staircase too

• 4 weeks later...

XL reissues appear to be coming on 5/31. http://www.bullmoose.com/search?Q=radiohead&As=true&As=false&Cid=18&Pf=&Pt=&btnsearch=Search

(I hope the new album releases soon!)

Fingers super crossed we see an improvement in sound quality. Ill also repeat my desire for a b-sides collection.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up... the guy who runs the Vinyl Me Please forum has responded to inquires and indicated that the re-issues coming out this month will be sourced from the Parlaphone masters. 

"the first batch of reissues will be Parlophone reworks, not Capitol, XL will do their own reissues to follow, but will be using the Parlophone parts from what I gather."

5 hours ago, downisthenewup87 said:

Just a heads up... the guy who runs the Vinyl Me Please forum has responded to inquires and indicated that the re-issues coming out this month will be sourced from the Parlaphone masters. 

"the first batch of reissues will be Parlophone reworks, not Capitol, XL will do their own reissues to follow, but will be using the Parlophone parts from what I gather."

Great news! I am intrigued by how they end up sounding. Kinda hoping I don't have to replace all my Parlophone/XL originals, but kinda want to as well..

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

They appear to be paralaphone records in capitol jackets

If that's the case I'll order them

59 minutes ago, dbarila said:

Has anyone gotten any of the reissues yet?  People over at Steve Hoffman are reporting that from Amazon they are getting the same pressings that are out there now but with a sticker over the barcode.  

Where are they up for sale?

My understanding is that XL bought out the current Capitol masceurading as Parlaphone pressings and is gonna do a re-master from the Parlaphone tapes AFTER those sell out.

But I'm eager to hear reports on sound quality and Matrix numbers on these.

Edited by downisthenewup87

7 hours ago, downisthenewup87 said:

My understanding is that XL bought out the current Capitol masceurading as Parlaphone pressings and is gonna do a re-master from the Parlaphone tapes AFTER those sell out.

But I'm eager to hear reports on sound quality and Matrix numbers on these.

Gonna be awhile for that to happen then. This is estimation cuz I haven't been there for a couple weeks, but one of my locals has at least five-ten copies of each album in stock, closer to ten for OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac, and the newer ones, and a bit fewer of the old 90s albums. 

Edited by throughbeingcruel

On 5/20/2016 at 9:36 PM, dbarila said:

Has anyone gotten any of the reissues yet?  People over at Steve Hoffman are reporting that from Amazon they are getting the same pressings that are out there now but with a sticker over the barcode.  

Update - 

I was in B&N yesterday.  They had these specific releases that were released last week by XL.  Sale tag had the date of "5/20/16".

No "RH-HTTT" rectangular sticker on the sleeve.  It was on the shrink wrap instead.  

Capitol sleeve from '08 - Parlophone discs from this release here ---> https://www.discogs.com/Radiohead-Hail-To-The-Thief/release/5453484

Someone on Steve Hoffman also ordered The Bends and Kid A from Amazon pertaining to these releases from last week. 

The Bends was the same mixmatch - Capitol sleeve, Parlo press.  Kid A was not.  It was a Capitol release inside and out.

Recap - OKC, The Bends, HTTT, and (possibly) Amnesiac, of last week's release date, should be Parlo discs inside Capitol sleeves.  OKC was already Parlo in Capitol, so shouldn't be any different.  

B&N has a 15% off $50 sale online right now.  Should be free shipping $25 and over.