Make your own LP and 7" mailers for free

I save all the ones I get from orders and reverse them and resend for outgoing records. Easy enough.

i'd be surprised if there was anyone who hadn't thought of this.. no offense :)

and yeah, i have like 50 lp mailers and 20 7" mailers in my garage, so i'm set for a while..

Wasn't saying it wasn't obvious... just that with the amounts of records most people here buy, that's waaaaaaaaaay easier than altering USPS boxes.

We always try to write "Recycle" on all of our mailers, so the people that recieve them will think twice before ripping into them. Bubblewrap get's expensive as well, I recycle as much of that as I can.

I tried to calculate the cost for packaging, it ended up (give or take a couple cents) that packing material cost around 1.20 per package. That really add's up! about 70 cents for the mailer(if you get em in bulk), about 30 cents for 2 pads, about 15 cents in bubble wrap, and 5 cents in tape.

Does anyone really know if bubblewrap even matters?

We put the record in bubble wrap, tape it up, then put that between two mailer pads, tape it up, and then inside the mailer. We sometimes throw another layer of bubble wrap on either side of the inside the box as well.

Does anyone on here ever have any experience with recieving a damaged record mailed properly in only a mailer with mailer pads?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sicne this thread got brought up elsewhere, figured I would mention it here instead of there. I believe the USPS now has marks on the inside of their mailers to prevent this sort of stuff since you're only "supposed" to use them for what they're labeled as. Anyways, doesn't mean you can do the same thing to a random cardboard box you find behind a fast food joint. Yep!

thanks for bumping this. i looked for it last week but couldnt find shit with the search function.

And yes, some of the newer boxes have USPS printed on the inside of the boxes. You can still find some of the older boxes in some of the post offices... Totally worth looking if you are out of mailers.

Stop making postage going up by doing this shit, boo!

:)

Seriously though, whatever you do is whatever you do, but I was caught too back in the day so I don't bother with them anymore. It wasn't worth the drive and wasted time, let alone the wasted postage and lecture, just to use free cardboard. But again, just me. :)

I am pretty sure USPS is introducing an LP friendly box in 2010. They know what's up... and they are all about making it easier for you to drop coin on Priority Mail. They make freaking shoeboxes, fergollyhoohoosake.

They also remade the old boxes that technically hold LPs, but there is zero roof for extra padding on two sides...

For what it's worth, I think it was me that blew it on the "turning it inside out" with the old Priority boxes. We used to do that for 100% of our mailorders up until about 10 years ago. It's a long story, but I think it's my fault they enacted the rule. Sorry. "My bad" as they say.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

USPS gives these boxes away, right? They'll even drop a stack of them off at your door.

yeah...in order to use with predetermined shipping services. There are comments above stating of you "get caught" doing this, they fine you $10. If you're paying the $10 up front, I guess I'm ok with it.

The Priority Boxes are for mailing at Priority Rates, which are way more than Media mail, so technically it is absolutely stealing if you don't use them for Priority mailing (as per the testimonials above).

The gray area comes in once they have been used and paid for at the Priority rate; now if you choose to cut them up for 12 x 12" inner pads, that's prob OK vs  throwing them in the trash or recycle bin. Using them for mailers, the USPS doesn't know their recycled if inverted. The USPS has gone to significant expense to print on the 'inside' of the Priority cardboard so people don't invert as the OP did. I've helped the USPS out by recycling Priority boxes and mailing stuff in them again at Priority rates (not records)

Same principle applies if you pay for only one 'free refills of fizzy drinks/soda/pop' or 'all you care to eat salad bar' and then give food to others at the table or share refills of drinks where only one paid. It's stealing.

This is the power of the Law.  56mph in a 55mph max zone = guilty. Most of us don't stop to think about Justice much, just mercy or how to get around the Law. Most are not owners being stolen from, or put ourselves in the owners' shoes. (Golden Rule).

Asbestos suit has been donned. Flame away. But I'm more interested in logic (light) than heat. 

The Priority Boxes are for mailing at Priority Rates, which are way more than Media mail, so technically it is absolutely stealing if you don't use them for Priority mailing (as per the testimonials above).

The gray area comes in once they have been used and paid for at the Priority rate; now if you choose to cut them up for 12 x 12" inner pads, that's prob OK vs throwing them in the trash or recycle bin. Using them for mailers, the USPS doesn't know their recycled if inverted. The USPS has gone to significant expense to print on the 'inside' of the Priority cardboard so people don't invert as the OP did. I've helped the USPS out by recycling Priority boxes and mailing stuff in them again at Priority rates (not records)

Same principle applies if you pay for only one 'free refills of fizzy drinks/soda/pop' or 'all you care to eat salad bar' and then give food to others at the table or share refills of drinks where only one paid. It's stealing.

This is the power of the Law. 56mph in a 55mph max zone = guilty. Most of us don't stop to think about Justice much, just mercy or how to get around the Law. Most are not owners being stolen from, or put ourselves in the owners' shoes. (Golden Rule).

Asbestos suit has been donned. Flame away. But I'm more interested in logic (light) than heat.

Argument done, in my opinion. Very well put.

It's so hilarious to see how attitudes of people involved with record collecting have changed over the years.

Like only ten years ago it was all about sharing and pooling information about the best and cheapest ways to ship/trade/sell records and the various common scams people were using (gluing stamps, etc). And now, when the costs involved with buying/selling/collecting records are higher than ever, it's all promo codes and lectures about how taking some cardboard from postal service is wrong.