[PO] We Lost The Sea - Departure Songs

waiting til I get paid on Friday to order this. Going to go for the clear.

My big issue with this album is the lack of the piano. That little element made SUCH a huge impact on "The Quietest Place On Earth". I wish they kept it.

So... I think I'm actually going to pass on this album. I've been trying to get into it, and while the music has a solid foundation, it just isn't grabbing me. I think its the lack of vocals and piano that are keeping me from really being engaged. The music is just too sprawling, and there isn't enough of a backbone with beats and grooves the way TQPOE has.

We'll see. But I think I'm going to pass on this.

waiting til I get paid on Friday to order this. Going to go for the clear.

My big issue with this album is the lack of the piano. That little element made SUCH a huge impact on "The Quietest Place On Earth". I wish they kept it.

So... I think I'm actually going to pass on this album. I've been trying to get into it, and while the music has a solid foundation, it just isn't grabbing me. I think its the lack of vocals and piano that are keeping me from really being engaged. The music is just too sprawling, and there isn't enough of a backbone with beats and grooves the way TQPOE has.

We'll see. But I think I'm going to pass on this.

Have you ever listened to Suffocate For F**k Sake? I never really got into TQPOE but I gave it a quick listen this morning and I found a lot of similarities between that album and Blazing Fires...

Have you ever listened to Suffocate For F**k Sake? I never really got into TQPOE but I gave it a quick listen this morning and I found a lot of similarities between that album and Blazing Fires...

Throwing it on now, thanks!

and glad you guys could snag some copies of The Quietest Place On Earth. I can't fucking wait to play that!

Like YONL, I prefer We Lost The Sea as an instrumental band tbh.  Nord is great, but I like the tracks without vocals better.

I do think Torpy's vocals come from deep down and not merely showmanship, but his demise seems to haunt TQPOE for me the more I listen to it.

Forgotten People is an awesome track, where it came from, I don't know.  

Like YONL, I prefer We Lost The Sea as an instrumental band tbh.  Nord is great, but I like the tracks without vocals better.

I do think Torpy's vocals come from deep down and not merely showmanship, but his demise seems to haunt TQPOE for me the more I listen to it.

Forgotten People is an awesome track, where it came from, I don't know.

What is YONL?

I completely disagree, though. It's funny how people can have such different preferences for music... because without the vocals and piano, this album is just missing a crucial element.

That makes sense, though, that Torpy was their vocalist and why they're an instrumental band now. I didn't know too much about their history or anything.

There's an awesome video of their CD release party for TQPOE and they have the girl singer come up onstage for "Forgotten People". It's so fucking awesome.

Edit: ahhhh god damn you guys, I'm going to order it anyway. There's a lot of sick parts on the album. But they just take so long to get to, whereas Godspeed's builds are a lot more interesting. But there's still lots of good shit here.

What is YONL?

You need to check Year of No Light - first Nord, then Ausserwelt. 

While Nord is Awesome, Ausserwelt will absolutely BLOW YOUR MIND, GUMBO!! 100% GUARANTEED YOU WILL NOT STOP PLAYING IT FOR AT LEAST WEEK STRAIGHT!!

And smart move on Departure Songs - though not AOTY material, a pleasant surprise for 2015 and the melancholy button it pushes.

You need to check Year of No Light - first Nord, then Ausserwelt. 

While Nord is Awesome, Ausserwelt will absolutely BLOW YOUR MIND, GUMBO!! 100% GUARANTEED YOU WILL NOT STOP PLAYING IT FOR AT LEAST WEEK STRAIGHT!!

And smart move on Departure Songs - though not AOTY material, a pleasant surprise for 2015 and the melancholy button it pushes.

Throwing this on now. Expect 3 analogies tomorrow.

Haha, Ausserwelt is truly epic.

Dude holy shit I don't even know if I can even do my normal hyperbolized rant for this shit. It's just too good for words.

They have the perfect tone on that record too... I love how with all the speed picked parts, you don't really hear the pick attack; it's almost like a swarming guitar cyclone that just kind of spins the strings and coils up the darkness and brooding atmosphere to just kind of gently wash it over you. It's hulking and oppressive, but it moves gradually, giving you a sense of calm and mitigating the fright of impending doom, meanwhile itself secretly knowing that it's going to completely smother and engulf your entire being.

Listened to Nord this morning, too. Great album, but Ausserwelt is just a fucking titanic beast of a masterpiece.

I think I'm with you on the vocals thing for these guys, too. Wasn't thrilled with the performance on Nord. Music is wayyyy different too.

And its funny... I never checked these guys out, always thinking they were a black metal band haha

I've been casually visiting this album since it came out & it seems to hit the spot for me when I do listen to it. I'll prob pick this up at some point.

Pretty much the same situation I'm in. It's a solid album through and through, but I just haven't had the right incentive to drop cash on it quite yet.

it's almost like a swarming guitar cyclone that just kind of spins the strings and coils up the darkness and brooding atmosphere to just kind of gently wash it over you. It's hulking and oppressive, but it moves gradually, giving you a sense of calm and mitigating the fright of impending doom, meanwhile itself secretly knowing that it's going to completely smother and engulf your entire being.

Have you heard of pitchfork.com?