PO: The Appleseed Cast - Lost Songs

we can all agree that business models are different from label to label right? I mean, I am sure you are well aware of all the expenses that went into each labels bottom line, but I tend to think that perhaps I don't know how much rent each label pays for its space. or how much each pressing cost the label per unit. or even more basic, how much each label needs to sell a record for to break even.

what? they totally are. every single person who has tried to license a record from deep elm has given testimonial to how unrealistic they were in their expectations. it is why so many classic deep elm albums were never pressed, or took so long to get pressed.

On the flip side, Everything Deep Elm has ever released can be downloaded for free on their bandcamp page.

what? they totally are. every single person who has tried to license a record from deep elm has given testimonial to how unrealistic they were in their expectations. it is why so many classic deep elm albums were never pressed, or took so long to get pressed.

ive never heard they're too expensive and that wasn't my experience. There's a mess of other reasons why I'd never work with deep elm again, but licensing cost wasn't one of them.

interesting. well since you aren't going to be detailed about your experience, I don't really see what you are saying as contradictory to the point being made. but thanks for your first person insight. it is certainly more than I have.

last time i was more detailed about it, i started getting harassed. i'll leave it at that.

Nit really defending the price, but the harder you have to work with someone and the more time you have to put into a project, the more you have to/want to charge. Sucks that Deep Elm are so tough to work with.

licensing and releasing someone else's work isn't too difficult. i think that's my biggest issue with these ETR prices. 

I don't keep up with board fights enough to know. anyway, I will leave it alone. I appreciate your perspective on the matter since you actually tried to license something from deep elm.

all that being said, I still do not see the issue with the price. high end of what I would like to pay? no doubt. but times change and costs increase. this album of b-sides/this band is more than worth it for me.

I think 20 dollars for a 180 gram colored record is pretty reasonable these days, but that would be my opinion. I dunno if I'd throw down if that record was B-Sides, but in my experience only a handful of bands have B-sides and demos that are worth a damn, so that's where that feeling comes for me. It would really depend on the band. Strong fans of Appleseed probably won't have a problem paying that.

Some would argue that therein lies the problem - people charge that much because they know people will pay it, even if those people think it isn't a fair price. I'm guilty of that too. Hell, if Caddywhompus put out a colored deluxe 200-gram of themselves taking shits I'd probably buy it.

I will say (and you acknowledged this) that it's silly to say that the days of the $12-$14 LP are gone, because that's absolutely untrue and several labels stick to those kinds of prices. You might get just a cheap cardboard sleeve with no extra inserts on plain black vinyl, but you're getting the music so who cares.

my bag? is anyone buying records purely for the music? because if so, I would like to sell them a lot of other totally inconvenient items that do something that can be done for way cheaper by something else.

I buy records mostly for the music. I like nice packaging and colored variants, but I'm mostly buying to listen. It's the primary way I listen to music actually.

As much as I love really nice packaging, I prefer a bare bones $12 release.

Can any one comment on the quality of this Low Level Owl pressing?

It is my playing copy and I own all 4 variants - no issues at all - not inferior to the Black. My tricolor and silver RC # were previously owned.

I bought the Lost Songs vinyl and CS.  My experience with BigSchool / Matt on LLO was great.