PO: toe. - Hear You (Topshelf Records)

same.

Nice!  Checked out your band in your link, lots of tasty licks!

I don't judge people for their tastes in music, but if you don't like toe you're basically an awful human being.

Rather have people like what they like than be bandwagon jumpers who genuinely feel nothing for the music.  Fuckin audio sociopaths.

You've obviously never seen them live.

They also list emo bands like Cap n Jazz as direct influence.

Just because you're influenced by a band of a certain genre, doesn't mean your music turns out to be the same genre. I just don't see how toe can be classified as emo. 

Their studio work doesn't really come across as emo but after seeing them live, I'm inclined to agree with "emo" as a description of their stage presence. They are so in the zone when they play. They're one of the few bands I've seen that literally dance with their instruments. In their chaotic moments, they can definitely be classified as an "emo" band.

And you obviously aren't aware of what the "emo" genre entails.

Like how you edited from question to statement to seem even more like a smug bastard.

When I was in college (I took recording engineering)  I had a music lit prof.  He's pretty well known for interviewing pretty great bands like Tortoise, Merzbow, etc.

I did a project on emo and he raved about how my presentation was the best he'd ever seem.  He asked me during the presentation to define emo.  I'm 28 years old and been listening to emo since I was 14, that's 14 years half my life... so take that and shove it up your self righteous asshole.

Their studio work doesn't really come across as emo but after seeing them live, I'm inclined to agree with "emo" as a description of their stage presence. They are so in the zone when they play. They're one of the few bands I've seen that literally dance with their instruments. In their chaotic moments, they can definitely be classified as an "emo" band.

THANK YOU! someone who knows their shit and doesn't have their head up their ass.

Their guitarist wears a fucking knee pad and is down on his knees practically crying the entire set.

DEREK I know your a regular but FUCK OFF. Get off my back and get a fucking life.  Sounds to me like your smug, jealous, and ignorant.  If you think your opinion matters to me you are dreaming.  

For someone who dislikes emo so much you certainly are a whiny bitch.

DEREK I know your a regular but FUCK OFF. Get off my back and get a fucking life. Sounds to me like your smug, jealous, and ignorant. If you think your opinion matters to me you are dreaming.

Sounds to me like your grasp of You're vs. Your is on par with your genre confusion.

Just because a band gets in the zone and evokes emotion doesn't make it emo, that's ridiculous.

i have to agree. and before i get lynched. yes, i have seen toe live. haha.

actually, before they got signed to Topshelf, i NEVER heard that description used for them. It was always post rock.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just because a band gets in the zone and evokes emotion doesn't make it emo, that's ridiculous.

Seriously.  Wikipedia is hardly the end-all source for something like this, but please; read the first sentence.

Slapping a new genre on a band based off their live tendencies - which, by the way, the vast majority of their fans won't get to experience - is absolutely ridiculous.  I will gladly accept that Toe perform like "an emo band" or whatever, but please don't pretend that it changes their musical genre.  Unless they belt out lyrics exclusively at live shows, I don't understand how this is even a topic of debate at this point.

Careful there, Glass Realms – you'll run out of downvotes for today if you keep up that spree.  I'd feel guilty soaking all of them up from you.

hey guys here's a good idea, how about we just call it good music

Fortunately, I don't think anyone was disputing that the band releases good music.  So at least we've got that going in the thread.  We're just getting into the semantics on whether or not they release quality emo, I guess.