PO: The Wonder Years - No Closer to Heaven

Looks like Fingerprints didn't get their copies of the new album for the in store. Whomp whomp

This and that sorry excuse for the event poster (Spoiler: it's a promo poster) were huge disappointments. For anyone that's been to Fingerprints Records In Store performances in the past know that they usually give out free prints after the event. I guess those days are over.

Personally I get much more enjoyment out of a live performance if I'm familiar with the songs before they're played live. You don't see bands playing music that hasn't released yet usually.

Bands do. These are promotional stops with record stores. They've done popup stores long after releases too.

Marketing 101: Having an exclusive meet and greet with other activities including a preview of the new album that hasn't been released yet (and in a different format) is going to bring in way more people.

Personally I get much more enjoyment out of a live performance if I'm familiar with the songs before they're played live. You don't see bands playing music that hasn't released yet usually.

Do you even go to shows????? More than 50% of bands will play new stuff a while before releasing it

Marketing 101: Having an exclusive meet and greet with other activities including a preview of the new album that hasn't been released yet (and in a different format) is going to bring in way more people.

Especially when the only way to do the meet & greet is by buying the album from that location. That puts money into the record stores' pocket and the band's pocket while getting the album out there.

I see this quite often. Its called promotion. Back when the internet didn't exist bands would tour to promote themselves and music they'd play. A lot of times they'd end up writing new music for fans to hear. They would try them out at live shows to see how they fare. Brand New for example has been playing new songs that aren't on a record yet. Yes even today bands do this. Go to a show some time, you may enjoy it.

Do you even go to shows????? More than 50% of bands will play new stuff a while before releasing it

Yes I do actually. Every band I've gone and seen has played new music that was still available through iTunes, Spotify, etc

Especially when the only way to do the meet & greet is by buying the album from that location. That puts money into the record stores' pocket and the band's pocket while getting the album out there.

See now this one is fair. Thanks for not being an ass about it.

I see this quite often. Its called promotion. Back when the internet didn't exist bands would tour to promote themselves and music they'd play. A lot of times they'd end up writing new music for fans to hear. They would try them out at live shows to see how they fare. Brand New for example has been playing new songs that aren't on a record yet. Yes even today bands do this. Go to a show some time, you may enjoy it.

I've gone to more shows than I feel like counting. I've definitely never heard a song that hasn't been officially released before. I've heard singles, but that's released music.

I've gone to more shows than I feel like counting. I've definitely never heard a song that hasn't been officially released before. I've heard singles, but that's released music.

That's really weird. Bands always say stuff like, "is it okay with you guys if we play a new one?" etc...

I have. Plenty of times. Tons of bands do. It's a common occurrence more than the select bands you might see. I know bands that have played material and have never released them.

That's really weird. Bands always say stuff like, "is it okay with you guys if we play a new one?" etc...

I've heard that, but I've only heard bands play singles off new albums. For example TWY played Cardinals at Warped and Soupy said he was going to play a new one lol.

I have. Plenty of times. Tons of bands do. It's a common occurrence more than the select bands you might see. I know bands that have played material and have never released them.

Sorry I haven't had the exact same experience as you. Can't say I've ever had that happen. I guess it depends on the band. I've been going to local concerts steadily for 9 years.

When did you start going to shows? Pre-Internet? Either way, you're high. I've seen bands play songs that weren't even recorded yet. I feel bad for ya, kid.

Neither you nor I are old enough to go to shows pre internet. Not really appreciating everyone looking down on me.

I've seen TONS of bands play songs that aren't officially released yet. Earlier this year, Brand New played "Mene" before it was officially released. And I can think of a handful of other artists that I've seen do the same during shows: (Vinnie Caruana, Joyce Manor, Coldplay, Balance and Composure...). The list goes on and on. So yeah. 

The thing is I haven't, thinking about it I actually saw one band play a song I didn't know. New Medicine played one song they hadn't included in an album back when I saw them in 2011. The song was later put on their 2014 album. Otherwise no. In those lists of bands the only one I listen to is Brand New, and it's completely like them to play songs that are unreleased. But didn't the song release as a single very shortly after they played it? 

Honestly at this point I'm done discussing it. I may have been wrong but due to my experiences I wasn't aware of it