What's one concert that really sticks out in your mind?

I took a road trip to Tucson to see Dredg play two nights in a row at Club Congress. The first night I had discovered RX Bandits as I mentioned yesterday, who co-headlined, and Dredg played after them. It was incredible, lot of energy, great responsive crowd...and they (both bands) sounded perfect! Second night, for some reason Dredg played the same set of songs for pretty much the same people from the night before, which I thought was kinda weird...but it enabled a more relaxed and intimate, listening kinda vibe. Intimate enough that Dino came up to the front mic and asked the crowd if anyone wanted to play drums for the next song. Since my friends and I were up front, they all immediately freaked out and pointed to me, making it difficult for Dino to select anybody else. My favorite band, especially at that time, picked me to fuckin play drums for them!? (!!!!!!!) Such a wildly cool experience...and afterwards, got have drinks with Dino, Drew, and Mark, and Dino let me keep the sticks. Oh, and since I had my camera, I was able to capture not only one of the greatest possible concert experiences, but also one of the coolest things that's ever happened to me. It is on Youtube.

Stereotypical, yes, but Radiohead in Mansfield, MA in 2012. Skipped school to buy tickets (for those unfamiliar, Radiohead's presale/"good" tickets go on sale on a specific date but the time is unknown, so you have to keep checking the website hourly) and the ONE time I stepped away from the computer they went up, so I had to settle for a seated ticket. A few weeks later, a friend of mine surprised me with an extra pit ticket she had snagged when a few more were released.

I begged my parents to let me cut class yet again to get to the venue early and they grudgingly obliged, so I queued all afternoon to get a spot on the barrier. I was 16, and it was the first time I saw a band that really meant something to me. I hate to be that tacky person and say it was like-changing, but... that shit was life-changing.

And I'm going to cheat and give a runner up to the Manic Street Preachers in Cambridge, MA this past April. I never thought I'd be able to see them (their US tours are incredibly sporadic - this was only their third or fourth time playing the Boston area since the early 90s), so I jumped at the chance even though it was during finals. Queued for another afternoon in freezing temperatures to get front row, no barrier in a 525 cap room - a big difference from their arena shows across the Atlantic. Top that all off with hearing an album as intense as The Holy Bible played in full and it was just insane. I only wish I could've followed them around for this one... but I'm flying out to Ireland next month to see them play at Electric Picnic to make up for it. :D

4 for me

Arlo Guthrie in a pub/restaurant in Annapolis, MD, when I was 16. Most intimate of shows. Maybe 50 people.

Roger Waters at Deer Creek in '06

The Chemical Brothers 5 yrs ago in Chicago.

The Dead in Chicago. 7-5-15 The last show. Amazing.

To the OP - I'm a little jealous of the Beta Band/RH show. Fuck me, that must have been an evening of soundscapes

It was! Kid Koala opened the show and he was okay. But Beta Band blew me away. They played a lot of songs off The Three EPs, as I think that was pretty much all they had out at the moment. Hearing Radiohead play Lurgee live was incredible. It's one of my favorite songs of theirs and definitely my favorite off Pablo Honey. Lurgee, Fake Plastic Trees and closing the show with Street Spirit were the three highlights for me.

Another show that stands out in my mind is seeing Coheed play IKSSE:3 in it's entirety. I drove 8 hours to Denver from SLC to see that show. Coheed isn't my favorite bands by any means, not even in my top 5, but hearing that album front to back was incredible. It was a huge flashback, with a flood of memories sweeping over. I never thought I would get to hear that album live, so crossing that off my bucket list meant a lot. Not only that, but they were so good live. The crowd might have been full of the most neckbeard-y neckbeards I have ever seen, but it was such a good time. We're all children of the fence in the dark. Haha.

Nine inch nails- self destruct tour- Jan 6 1995....Adam ant came out and did physical and beat my guest as 2nd encore.....best band at their height musical and visual with the best intensity ever

gorilla biscuits - cbgb benefit show - sold out but they let everyone in. August in nyc with oversold by 50 percent. Crazy crowd

LOOP at austin psych fest

Wilco night 4 of last year's chicago residency..had to be there

stooges/sonic youth - jones beach...only filled lower bowl..only stuff off first two stooges records after an hour plus of sonic youth against an ocean backdrop

Death Cab for Cutie. Without a doubt in my mind. I waited damn near 13 years to get a chance to see them, and I finally got to see them earlier this year. I bought tickets the second they went up and ended up a few rows back from the front. Just incredible. I really don't know how else to describe it. It may sound cliché, but I don't think I've ever connected with a band on such an emotional level the same way I have with Death Cab. Super grateful for that experience.

Took a road trip to Chicago to see Nouvelle Vague in 2012. My friends that drove up with me had no interest in going to the show, so I went by myself and it was maybe the best show I've ever been to. Aside from thinking I'd never get a chance to see them, I didn't know what singers would be on that tour with the band. I've always had a crush on Melanie Pain and she happened to be on this tour. The set opened up with "Lullaby" by The Cure, which they haven't recorded or released, and the rest of the set was just as killer. Whenever I think about this show I end up watching a bunch of videos of that tour on youtube.

"Lullaby" (not Chicago, but one of the best recordings of it)

I know what you mean. I saw Monotonix once back in 2009 at a very tiny venue called Thr Smell in downtown LA. probably still holds the record in my book for THE sweatiest show I've ever been too. Don't think that place had any AC, just a large fan in a corner that really didn't do shit.

But the show was amazingly wild, not violent, just crazy fucking fun. Set up on the floor and was nonstop awesomeness from the second they started. Large trash cans ended up being thrown around, and a guy even crowd surfed in it! The band was all over the place, singer kept rearranging the drumset to different parts of the room, without the drummer ever stopping. He kept hitting at least something. Wish I could've seen them again

Cool to see much love for Monotonix. My band actually opened for them at Musica

full.jpg

We went and got pizza afterwards. I'm the guy on the far right. July 21st 2008

one more show i'd like to add

THE SOUND OF ANIMALS FIGHTING in AZ 3/29/14

this was seriously a dream fucking come true. i got into them after they had done their first tour back in 2006 and never ever imagined they'd play live again. so when this tour was announced, i nearly lost my shit. my friends and i picked what was originally the last date, they ended up adding another LA date afterwards, so we were pretty stoked. 

ended up going with Sonny Kay (artist of all of Omar's solo albums) who lives in Vegas and is a pretty chill friend. he wanted to go cause he's good friends with Matt Embree and everyone in the band. so we took road trip, with fucking Sonny Kay!! got to see a damn amazing, wild, and fun show! something i never imagined i'd get to see. 

and afterwards, got to hang out backstage with everyone in the band. was seriously surreal, being in the same room with everyone in the band. super nice and chill dudes. my friend and i couldn't believe it was happening, he's loved Animals Fighting since early on and was even at the Vegas show back in the day. so we hung out with them for a while. and afterwards, all went to the bar everyone was going to and got to hang out some more with them. it was serioulsy a day i'll never forget. 

tom gabel - 11/20/08 @ the knitting factory

I was really losing steam when it came to against me at this point. On a last minute whim i decided to get a ticket for this. Show started great with a mix of solo songs & old ones. Then Tom says he was inviting an old friend who just moved to Brooklyn to come out and play the drums. Kevin Mahon gets announced then Tom says "we are against me" and break into walking is still honest. They played all of crime and played shit stroll and some others. Hands down greatest against me set I had ever seen or would ever see ever again.

17 years old seeing Blood Brothers, Lightning Bolt, and The Locust. Went to see locust and blood brothers, had no clue who lightning bolt was and was completely blown away. 

whoa!!! all in one show?! 

that sounds like a damn excellent lineup!

i was blown away too the first time i saw lightning bolt at a festival in LA in 2012. had no clue who they were and a friend wanted to see them. damn glad i did

Thrice did a last minute show in Colorado Springs on their way home when they were touring Beggars. They announced the morning of. There were maybe 50 people in the dive bar they played in.

2 years ago I attended Dallas Green for E town. Super intimate.

The first year David Bazan did the house shows was awesome. The house in Denver he played at had the water turned off that day, so no one could use the bathroom.

I saw Cursive at Trees in Dallas in 2004, and that was awesome. They still had their cellist. Tim got super wasted and at the end of the show he destroyed his guitar as the band just stood and watched. Horrible crowd though.

Finally, Murder By Death plays at this old hotel in my hometown for 3 nights every January. It is the Stanley Hotel that the Shining is based off of. Everyone dresses up and they make a new whiskey drink every night. Basically it turns into a bunch of drunk people dancing and singing.

From what I remember of it, I saw the NINJA (Nine Inch Nails/Jane's Addiction) Tour and it was pretty awesome.

Perry's voice was completely shot, but Dave's guitar skills were phenomenal.

Nine Inch Nails put on a good show, but by that time I was drifting in and out of consciousness despite the volume and energy.

Good show...