What's one concert that really sticks out in your mind?

Not necessarily the best show you've ever seen but one that always sticks out in your mind when you think back at the ones you've seen in the past.

Mine is Oasis. My brother and I saw them back in 1996 on the What's The Story, Morning Glory? tour. I was 16 and he was 13. It was one of the first shows we'd ever seen. We'd both just started playing guitar as well and made us wanna be musicians. It was definitely a life changing night for both of us.

Bright Eyes on the People's Key tour (surprisingly) in Toronto. 

One of my most hated venues, worst audience I've ever had to stand in and shitshow drive to and from Toronto. 

But the performance just absolutely blew me away. The amount of time/planning/effort that went into that set, how on every member of the band was and how perfectly executed everything was has always blown me away and stuck out in my mind. They are one of my favourite bands and I had seen them before but particularly the version of Lua they did (a song I'm impartial to) with just Conor and Nate and this crazy lighting is burned into my mind forever. 

I also have high hopes for seeing The Tallest Man on Earth in one of my favourite venues in September.

It's hard to pick one, but my favorite might be when I saw Man Man for the first time at the Musica in Akron, OH.

They are my cousin's favorite band.  Hell, he even proposed to his fiance' on stage at one of their shows last year.  But a couple years ago my cousin invited me to go with him, and at the time I hadn't even heard of them.  So I went online and checked them out and I liked what I heard.  I had been to the Musica before and it's a pretty small place.  Like... it's basically a bar.  So we get there and there's probably only 30 people or so there and to see the band going so crazy on such a small stage was incredible.  They instantly made a fan out of me and I've loved them ever since.

And not to break the rules of the thread, but I also can't help but think about when I saw Man Man open up for Brand New in Pittsburgh last year.   I went with my fiance' (girlfriend at the time), my cousin (not the one I mentioned before), and her husband.  I was the only one of our group who had listened to them before and knew what to expect and I kept telling them that they were going to get their minds blown.  And indeed their minds were blown.  But that wasn't the best part.  Where we were at, we were on a higher up platform than the people on the floor so we could see the whole crowd.  And at the start of Man Man's set, you could tell that probably 90% of the crowd had no idea who Man Man even was.  But after each one of their songs ended, you could literally watch the band gain fans.  The applause after each song just grew louder and louder and more people kept dancing and getting into it.  Way too fucking cool.

Alright I'm done now.  Sorry!

Radiohead on the KidA/Amnesiac tour prior to its release.  I flew out to Israel on a whim to go see them in a super old open air amphitheatre by the sea (like old roman old).  Ran into Thom and Jonny on the streets of Tel Aviv, got their autographs on a ticket stub.  Ran into Colin "backstage" before the show (really it was just wandering around the national park that the amphitheatre was a part of) and saw him struggling to take a "selfie" with his buds, I offered to help and took the picture for them.  Ask their manager guy, who was then politely asking me to leave the "backstage" area if i could get their autographs.  I gave him a shred of a piece of paper with my address back in Canada on it and months later a letter arrived with a return address from Oxford Uk.  In it was that shred of paper with my address on it, with the full bands autograph on the others side.

clinic opened.. radiohead took the stage as the sun set behind the Mediterranean.. I was about 8 rows back, centre.. and probably cried a little bit.  It was perfect.

*me and my buddy were stoned, eating m&m's in my childhood tree fort when the brilliant idea dawned on me to do this.  Finding someone local who could help me decipher the hebrew on the ticket site was tricky.

I've mentioned all of these before but they bear repeating

Converge, Darkest Hour, The Red Chord, Ringworm in Fall 2005. Sang along to every song from every band. Smashed my face on a monitor and spit blood everywhere. Was up against the stage the whole time despite constant stage diving. Lost my voice for a week and lost my shoe during Dreaming in Dog Years. Luckily got it back promptly. Converge played The Saddest Day.

Converge, Some Girls, Modern Life is War, Kylesa about a month after No Heroes came out. Smaller venue, maybe 150 people there. Sang along to every song from Converge and MLIW. Stage dove WAY TOO MUCH but always maintained my spot against the stage. Got whipped in the face by the Mic cord several times and was legit terrified Kurt was going to split my head open with his guitar. Sadly Kylesa had their bass amp blow up or something and only played like 2 songs.

Every Time I Die, Misery Signals, Zao, The Promise, With Honor in Fall 2004. My first hardcore show. Had NO IDEA what to expect and honestly thought I was going to die. Keith ruffled my hair during Been Gone a Long Time.

Queens of the Stone Age back in early 2003. My first "show" and it was so long ago you could still smoke in bars. Had no idea what weed smelled like, years later realized every at that show was smoking it. Everyone on stage had a cigarette at all times. Was almost against the barrier. My dad picked me up and was furious I smelled like an ashtray. I had to miss drivers ed to go.

Radiohead on the Hail To The Thief tour in Atlanta, had pit tickets, my buddy drove down from Virginia Tech, i drove over from Auburn....the radio station was broadcasting an streaming the entire thing so my buddy back at home recorded the whole thing and there's a tiny tiny tiny maybe half second where you can hear me screaming on it because we were close enough to the crowd mics at the end of the stage

Conor O'berst and the Taylor Family Band Chriatmas show in '06 or '07....he was still dating Maria Taylor at the time so his band was Maria on drums, her brother Macey on bass (he played in the Mystic Valley Band and now plays for Jenny Lewis), her sister Kate on rhythm guitar (she also does solo music and has a band with her husband, Taylor Hollingsworth, called Dead Fingers), Taylor Hollingsworth on lead guitar (has many solo albums with various backing bands, has a project called SDX or Sweet Dog Experience, Monsier Jeffery and his Aces, Dead Fingers with his wife, and played lead guitar in The Mystic Valley Band), and Macey Taylor Senior on keyboard/piano/organ. Conor's dad came out and played a song with Conor....Gillian Welch was there and played a song with Conor...it was a really special evening in a really weird Masonic Temple

The Mars Volta in Atlanta on tour for Frances The Mute.....they played 2.5 hours...maybe longer? No opener. I passed out standing up from lack of water/heat/exhaustion and when I woke up/came to the crowd was so packed that I never fell down, I was just crammed in there....came to finished the show and I basically collapsed at the water fountain. Crashed some friends of mine hotel....I got to the hotel before them and passed out with my vehicle running face down on my steering wheel....we walked to a grocery store next door, I bought a gallon of Gatorade and a gallon of water. My jeans and all of my clothes were still dripping wet an hour post-show. We got in to their hotel and I took off all of my clothes except my underwear, rung them out and let them dry. Drank an entire gallon of Gatorade. Passed out on the floor in the bathroom. Woke up the next day and drank the gallon of water, ate the continental breakfast and went home.

Taking Back Sunday, Brand New, Rufio in Atlanta. Basically no stage....the opening band was some Christian horse shit band. The three I came to see were terrific. Ended the evening getting pushed onto Adam Lasagna which collapsed him with like 10 kids on us screaming "Best Friends Means You Get What You Deserve" or whatever into the microphone together

The Victory tour in '02/'03? Grade...Kyle Bishop was literally searching for me half way through their set to give me the mic during their bigger songs....it was weird but very memorable

Cursive...the last time I saw them. Tim started playing The Martyr and immediately jumped off stage into the crowd then ripped the mic and mic stand off of the stage....got to the big break and he jumped up and back into to people who started crowd surfing him, then people started surfing the mic stand with it so he was playing and singing the big ending on the crowd and people were going ballistic and it was very intense

The second time I saw Monotonix/participated in one of their shows....they lit the bar on fire, grabbed trash cans and threw them everywhere, the show went outside and back in, more fire. Just....if you never caught Monotonix in a small venue, there was never anything like it before, and I hope that somebody attempts to do that sort of show again

I know that's far more than one. But each one of those was incredibly powerful and meaningful to me as a music lover....my mind could not ever choose any one of those over the other....godamn I love live music

anyone else go to every time i die's free show (and dodgball tournament!) behind the paul frank warehouse in costa mesa in like 2007? the coolest shit of my whole life at the time. probably still is the coolest shit of my whole life. several police choppers circled overhead and broke up the set midway through.

anyone else go to every time i die's free show (and dodgball tournament!) behind the paul frank warehouse in costa mesa in like 2007? the coolest shit of my whole life at the time. probably still is the coolest shit of my whole life. several police choppers circled overhead and broke up the set midway through.

That sounds fucking awesome. I have been listening to Every Time I Die since Hot Damn came out ('02/'03?) and have never caught them live.....I feel at this point I might be a bit old.....I also never moshed or any silly shit like that and had a feeling even back then that shitheads would've ruined the show for me

The Devil Wears Prada, As I Lay Dying, For Today, and The Color Morale

Got a backstage pass, such a sick show! Funniest thing was seeing/hearing a guy get tackled in the back-lot for trying to get on a bus haha! And got to chill/talk with quite a few of the band members. Ahhhh, that was an awesome night!

The second time I saw Monotonix/participated in one of their shows....they lit the bar on fire, grabbed trash cans and threw them everywhere, the show went outside and back in, more fire. Just....if you never caught Monotonix in a small venue, there was never anything like it before, and I hope that somebody attempts to do that sort of show again

I assume you've seen Daikaiju? Similar type show to Monotonix. 

Hmm, Mindless Self Indulgence always slay when they roll through town. I was bleeding during all of Modern Life Is War and screaming, attempted my first stage dive. Chariot played Bled Fest 2011 and they ripped through most of The Fiancee. It fucking ruled, they played Teach as well. I had my nose broken and lip split in two places during that set.

First time I saw MARS VOLTA in 2008 (had been obsessed since Frances but hadn't had a chance to see them) at a festival in LA, Detour Fest. Bedlam had recently been released. Shit was crazy!!!! The crowd was fucking insane! At one point I was crammed so tight I wasn't even touching the ground. High as fuck that night too. So that made it worse. But was amazing after I was out of the mayhem. I literally tested up at some point from sheer enjoyment. The jams were ridiculous that I felt so lost and didn't know what the he'll was going on.

Also first time seeing DEATH FROM ABOVE after they got back together at FYF in LA 2011. Their album is one of my favorites of all time, constant rotation since I first listened to it. And never thought I'd get the chance to see them so I HAD to be there. Was damn amazing, one o the loudest shows I've been to. It was a damn dream come true. Seen them a few times since but that first time was the best. I seriously thought the speakers and everything was gonna blow. And the crowd was wild!

Caspian.

Hands down the most amazing show I've ever seen. They are always incredible every time I've seen them. They have this energy, this vibe about them that I've never gotten from any other live band, and that's saying something. I've toured a lot in my life so I can't even think of all the shows I've seen, but damn it's a lot. Caspian has this remarkable ability to leave you with your jaw on the floor. The build up, the energy, the intimacy, the intensity of it all. If you've heard Sycamore live you'll understand what I'm trying to say, and that's only ONE song, but it's in my opinion the best closing song EVER.

That sounds fucking awesome. I have been listening to Every Time I Die since Hot Damn came out ('02/'03?) and have never caught them live.....I feel at this point I might be a bit old.....I also never moshed or any silly shit like that and had a feeling even back then that shitheads would've ruined the show for me

i think you gotta try to see them once. i know what you mean by being too old... shit i'm 24 and i already act like an old man at shows. i'm too ornery to go into the pit anymore. but watch them from the back of whatever venue you're at and just bask in the sound and energy. they're stupid good live. probably my favorite band to watch.

I assume you've seen Daikaiju? Similar type show to Monotonix.

Indeed. They're (originally) from my hometown, have seen them progress quite a bit over the years. Their live show is interactive and has fire....but it's not the same as having a drummer set up on top of the crowd and play on the crowd while the lead singer is constantly in motion being surfed around along with the guitarist while they're setting fire to the floor below while crowd surfing and never missing a beat.....Daikaiju hasn't QUITE made it that far yet