What's one concert that really sticks out in your mind?

Thrice at Stubbs in Austin for their Alchemy Index tour in 2008. It was one of the most beautiful and emotional shows I have ever been to. 

Artifex Pereo when they played a show at my house 2 years ago. The venue screwed them over and we offered up our house to these dudes we didn't even know. One of the greatest nights of my life. 

There is no way to pick just one. Too many different shows with different feels. There is a lot more that stick out, but these two will forever be ingrained into my mind. 

Indeed. They're (originally) from my hometown, have seen them progress quite a bit over the years. Their live show is interactive and has fire....but it's not the same as having a drummer set up on top of the crowd and play on the crowd while the lead singer is constantly in motion being surfed around along with the guitarist while they're setting fire to the floor below while crowd surfing and never missing a beat.....Daikaiju hasn't QUITE made it that far yet

The 2 times I saw monotonix there was never any fire and daikaiju's drummer usually ends the show standing on his seat on top of the  crowd with people holding up each piece of the drum set so he can still play. If I remember right monotonix only had the floor tom on top of the crowd.

I'm surprised it wasn't the Foos. But if you'd said the Foos, I'd be surprised it wasn't Caspian.

The shitty thing is that I've never gotten to see Foo. I lived in Richmond for 12 years, and the whole time I lived there they didn't play ONCE. Then about a year or two after I leave someone does a petition to get them to play AND THEY DO. Just my luck. I missed their Wasting Light show at DC cause my ride bailed on me last minute. Still pissed about that one. 

I've seen Caspian at least 10 times, and they're always more amazing than the time before. 

4 for me

Arlo Guthrie in a pub/restaurant in Annapolis, MD, when I was 16.  Most intimate of shows.  Maybe 50 people.

Roger Waters at Deer Creek in '06

The Chemical Brothers 5 yrs ago in Chicago.  

The Dead in Chicago.  7-5-15  The last show.  Amazing.  

To the OP - I'm a little jealous of the Beta Band/RH show.  Fuck me, that must have been an evening of soundscapes

I have such a difficult time picking because I'm a super sentimental person but I'll try and cut it down to a couple.

I saw Fleet Foxes at the Fox Theatre in Oakland back in 2011. For as large as the venue is, it felt like such an intimate show. i would argue that they sound even better live than in the studio. I've never encountered such a respectful crowd in my life. Everyone was silent during each song and would burst into applause after to which robin would just reply "thanks." And then they would start the next song. My ex and I were in complete awe.

Last year I attended Caspian's anniversary show in Beverly (their home town) on a whim when I found out only the day before that I was going to be there because of work. I called up the box office and there was literally one ticket left. I spent the day exploring boston for the first time, and then I got to meet Dani too for dinner just before the show, which was awesome! I think that was the first time I met a VC member. The show itself was insanely amazing. I had just seen them in SF a few months before. Like Matt said, they are just amazing live. But there was something about seeing them in their hometown, surrounded by friends and family that was just extra special as hell. I cried. It was beautiful. And at the end they invited us all to a local watering hole and said they had the first round. If I didn't need to catch the last train into the city I definitely would have gone.

In the fall of 2013, a friend and I took a epic road trip to Portland to catch the National at the Edgefield. All I can say was it was worth it. Frightened Rabbit opened for them and Matt is just a dreamboat and goes 100%. It started raining and we didn't have umbrellas but we had this gross blanket I brought that smelled like wet dog. Matt gave some random person in the crowd his wine and of course he came out into the crowd. I may have fangirled. Ok. I really fangirled and I wish I had some kind of excuse to touch him but I didn't. : ( For being a massive venue, we were pretty stoked to have anchored ourselves in the front. My friend took a video after to just show someone how big the venue is or something and later when we were watching it we heard this guy talking in the background saying "I ...........REALLY like that band." It forever makes me laugh thinking about it for some reason. We got lost trying to find the car but we didn't even care. Haha such a good show.

The most standout live performance for me was seeing The Roots. I saw them twice: once in Jersey City and once in Montreal. Both shows were crazy. They are notorious for their energetic live performances, of course.

I also saw Radiohead two nights in a row at All Points West festival in NJ back in 2008 - also pretty crazy. Back to back 3 hour sets of Thom Yorke spazzing out.

The 2 times I saw monotonix there was never any fire and daikaiju's drummer usually ends the show standing on his seat on top of the crowd with people holding up each piece of the drum set so he can still play. If I remember right monotonix only had the floor tom on top of the crowd.

Thad awesome. I haven't seen Daikaiju Ina few years now (feel like I saw them plenty enough early on), but we seemed to have gotten completely different Monotinix show experiences, and that bums me out hard. Both times I saw Monotonix they were on a whole different level than Daikaiju. That said, I HIGHLY encourage everybody to take a chance on Daikaiju next time they roll through your town....which probably isn't far off since they have been on tour for almost a decade straight with like 2-3 weeks down in between most tours, no clue how those dudes are still going

hands down best concert (or series of concerts in this case) was seeing Olafur Arnalds at SXSW 2 years ago. since he's from Iceland, he usually only ever plays big cities when he comes stateside. being down in the armpit of America, this was as close as he'd ever come, so we'd made plans to go see 4 of his performances--Decca showcase (classical sector of Universal) on Wednesday night, and 3 separate shows across Austin on Thursday. well, we found out like the week before that the Decca showcase was going to be for badges and wristbands only. so I reached out to the label on facebook to see if there was any way that we could just pay cover to go to the show. I got a response back almost immediately that we were being put on the guestlist.

we ended up getting there way early. the folks from the label were still setting things up and Olafur had just started soundcheck (this was on the 2nd floor of a small church). they gave us label affiliated VIP wristbands, let us go in for soundcheck, let us reserve front row seats, and we got to hang out w/ Olafur for almost an hour before the show. they were assembling goodie bags for people to take (and it was almost time for doors to open), so we helped them roll posters and put bags on all the chairs. needless to say, the show was phenomenal and it was incredible to be so close in such an intimate setting. one of the openers was Avi Avital (world class mandolin player) and he was insanely good. I don't think we'll ever get another opportunity like that again. on the way out we were thanking the people from the label, and there was a writer from Paste Magazine that overheard that we were attending the Iceland Airwaves showcase the following day. she gave us her cell number and got us up on the VIP balcony for that show. we ended up seeing Olafur play 3 times on Thursday. all the shows we went to were free.

a month or two later, we got a package in the mail from Decca. they sent us a canvas of the album art for "For Now I Am Winter" personalized to us and signed by Olafur w/ a thank you note for helping them setup. unreal.

At the risk of breaking the rules I have 2 that I can't decide between.  One was U2 at M&T Bank Stadium on the 360 Tour.  I was inside the stage and they opened with a whole bunch of songs from Achtung Baby.  It was like attending the concert I was too young to attend in 1991!  A lot of fun.  

The other was Arctic Monkeys at the 9:30 Club shortly after their first album came out.  It was a great crowd and the played an awesome set.  

Drive by truckers and hold steady at the bluebird in Bloomington in. Didn't know much about either band but my friend got me a ticket so I came along. Both bands blew me away. Hold steady played one for the cutters which is about Bloomington in so that was really cool.

I've been a big fan of both bands ever since. Plus it was at a bar so we partied all night after the show.

Drive by truckers and hold steady at the bluebird in Bloomington in. Didn't know much about either band but my friend got me a ticket so I came along. Both bands blew me away. Hold steady played one for the cutters which is about Bloomington in so that was really cool.

I've been a big fan of both bands ever since. Plus it was at a bar so we partied all night after the show.

The Bluebird is great! Saw Band Of Horses there back in the day. Was great! Do you live in Bloomington tellallyourfriends?

Indeed. They're (originally) from my hometown, have seen them progress quite a bit over the years. Their live show is interactive and has fire....but it's not the same as having a drummer set up on top of the crowd and play on the crowd while the lead singer is constantly in motion being surfed around along with the guitarist while they're setting fire to the floor below while crowd surfing and never missing a beat.....Daikaiju hasn't QUITE made it that far yet

I know what you mean. I saw Monotonix once back in 2009 at a very tiny venue called Thr Smell in downtown LA. probably still holds the record in my book for THE sweatiest show I've ever been too. Don't think that place had any AC, just a large fan in a corner that really didn't do shit.

But the show was amazingly wild, not violent, just crazy fucking fun. Set up on the floor and was nonstop awesomeness from the second they started. Large trash cans ended up being thrown around, and a guy even crowd surfed in it! The band was all over the place, singer kept rearranging the drumset to different parts of the room, without the drummer ever stopping. He kept hitting at least something. Wish I could've seen them again

The Bluebird is great! Saw Band Of Horses there back in the day. Was great! Do you live in Bloomington tellallyourfriends?

I went to college there so for 4 years I lived there. Could only go to bluebird my sr. Year though. Went to rhinos a couple times since it was all ages.

Subaru Stevens ( ;) ) was great this year, and Neko Case has been incredible whenever I've seen her.

Electric Wizard was really special since they don't come to the U.S. often and they sounded great!

I've had a ton of incredible concert experiences though

Gah what I would give to see Sufjan. His tickets are just too much though. : (