PO: Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary 3LP reissue

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, Cloudsbelow said:

Sounds so weird to my ears.  I spent years in love with apologies and to hear it changed a bit just throws me off.. Distortion sounds a bit different here and there.. oh a tambourine i didnt notice before is now up front.. hmmm

sounds good just sounds different and will take some getting used to.

Were the tracks actually re-worked? or is it just because the pressing quality is so much better?

14 minutes ago, dbarila said:

Were the tracks actually re-worked? or is it just because the pressing quality is so much better?

tracks are definitely re-worked. there was muted fuzziness on the original that isn't there on the new deluxe edition. certain sounds are now crisper and more pronounced. it takes a little bit away from the nostalgia, but i kind of like it. i'm curious if this was how the band intended the original to sound.

edit: from sub pop: "The album was remastered for this release by the band’s longtime associate Harris Newman at Grey Market Mastering."

Edited by WAXXX

27 minutes ago, WAXXX said:

tracks are definitely re-worked. there was muted fuzziness on the original that isn't there on the new deluxe edition. certain sounds are now crisper and more pronounced. it takes a little bit away from the nostalgia, but i kind of like it. i'm curious if this was how the band intended the original to sound.

edit: from sub pop: "The album was remastered for this release by the band’s longtime associate Harris Newman at Grey Market Mastering."

Ah thanks.  I saw the EPs were remastered bit wasn't sure about the album.  I saw this sitting in the local shop and was debating picking it up.  

yeah, a remastering can have a pretty drastic impact, especially when the original sounds like Apologies does.  When you "brighten" up a muddy master things like tambourines/cymbals/etc can become more pronounced.. when you and some clarity and seperation you can hear things you didnt notice before.  They were there, just not as in your face.

The opening track thru me off immediately as it sounds almost like the track is clipping/distorted.. but really i think its just some crunch on the keys that i never really heard before.

all good