PO Now: Caspian - Castles High, Marble Bright

4 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

You need to either laughably flail the sticks off-rhythm, occasionally missing the drum entirely, or match them on point so they're floored and awed.  Nothing in between.

Have him bring up his own tom to play on. Runs up there carrying the tom, sets it down haphazardly, starts drumming on it like he is having a fit, throws sticks slightly in the air limp-wristed as he ends it, walks away as band and crowd is speechless for reasons we are still unsure of.

11 hours ago, mrewest said:

I don't know how I've missed this thread but holy shit at the idea of someone drumming with Caspian.  In fact, it should be a thing where everyone up front or against a wall or something is given drumsticks.  An entire crowd helping drum.  

Problem is that 95% of a crowd are not able to keep a constant rhythm... ;)

5 hours ago, Shlebs said:

Saw a pic of this and yep the vinyl is directly in the pvc sleeve. Can't wait for the surface noise.

Oddly enough it sounds perfectly fine. At least my copy does. I'll be getting another one in as well and give that a listen. I was skeptical too, along with white vinyl, but it sounds good.

Just got my copy today, opened it, and the plastic jacket is ripped wide open on 2 sides.  Like, we're talking at least 1/3 of the entire side on the right and bottom side.  I hope you guys fair better than me.  For a $5.19 media mail charge, you would think they would make sure your shit arrives in good condition.  NOPE.

EDIT:  I should add that the vinyl sounds great.  Side A is nigh-silent, and Side B only has a little bit of noise.  Castles also sounds huge at 33rpm haha. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

1 hour ago, Gumbo72203 said:

EDIT:  I should add that the vinyl sounds great.  Side A is nigh-silent, and Side B only has a little bit of noise

pretty much all caspian pressings have noise, some worse than others

I just expect it at this point, and if it doesn't overpower the music, awesome, otherwise to be expected

48 minutes ago, ethereal said:

pretty much all caspian pressings have noise, some worse than others

I just expect it at this point, and if it doesn't overpower the music, awesome, otherwise to be expected

Oh yeah, it wasn't bad, it's just interesting how Side A is absolutely silent, and then Side B just has a little.  It's probably from sliding around so much in the jacket in shipping...   the cuts in my jacket have teeth, for christs-sake!

6 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Oh yeah, it wasn't bad, it's just interesting how Side A is absolutely silent, and then Side B just has a little.  It's probably from sliding around so much in the jacket in shipping...   the cuts in my jacket have teeth, for christs-sake!

That's a PVC jacket for you. They rip easy, and the corner seals are jagged.

Yeah Hello Merch told me to fuck off about that.  They won't accept a return, nor do they have extra jackets to send out.  I feel like they just slapped me in the face, and were like "Yeah, buy this thing... but don't expect us to make sure it gets to you in one piece.  And if it doesn't, we're not going to fix it either." 

Also, didn't make it to the show.  Did make it to Boston though!  Eventually.  I think I passed 5 or 6 3-car smash-ups on I-90.  Twice, there were 2 of them within, oh...  maybe 50 yards of each other.  Traffic was halted so many times.  I have a back problem which had been flaring up all week, and being stuck in traffic for so long made everything seize back up from sitting in my car seat for so long.  I tried to tough it out, but it just wasn't going to happen. 

Worst Caspian day ever. 

Haha I dunno, my pvc bag is only connected in two spots near the flap on each side because they threw it in a 12 inch mailer with no stability. That's both sides and the bottom completely ripped open. I knew what I was buying but a simple piece of tape would have prevented it. I'll just file a PayPal claim if they tell me to fuck off like they did to Gumbo.

On 11/17/2016 at 1:20 PM, Shlebs said:

Saw a pic of this and yep the vinyl is directly in the pvc sleeve. Can't wait for the surface noise.

Does the out gassing (or whatever it's called) happen that quickly?  I always thought it was due to being in the PVC sleeve for years?  I got mine in yesterday and removed it promptly.  I think the most annoying thing about this being an 8" is having to go out of my way to find a proper sleeve for it, haha

43 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

Does the out gassing (or whatever it's called) happen that quickly?  I always thought it was due to being in the PVC sleeve for years?  I got mine in yesterday and removed it promptly.  I think the most annoying thing about this being an 8" is having to go out of my way to find a proper sleeve for it, haha

Yeah, it takes a while, but sometimes you do get transfer of the pvc on the vinyl if it touches it for too long. I'm trying to find a solution too, but I don't see any 8" inner sleeves anywhere.