NHL Discussion

Meszaros scored 2 goals tonight....we should trade him now

He'll find a way to get hurt again. However, they should look into the availability of Yakupov. The Flyers and Oilers have had discussions well before last year's draft about a defenseman-winger swap. They Flyers are deep at defense, even if no one is a #1, and its obvious Yakupov needs a change of scenery. The Flyers would probably have to throw in a near NHL ready prospect, but Meszaros and pretty much anyone but Laughton for Yakupov is a plausible deal. It also doesn't affect either team much salary cap wise. This will probably never happen though.

They Flyers are deep at defense

Streit and Grossman are the only defensive pair i have some confidence in. Coburn gives the puck away for scoring chances or goals nearly every night. Despite Timonen making some great defensive plays sometimes and QB-ing the PP, he gets beat constantly. Schenn and Meszaros do an awful job at coverage in the D-zone. On paper, they're "deep" but they don't play like it.

Streit and Grossman are the only defensive pair i have some confidence in. Coburn gives the puck away for scoring chances or goals nearly every night. Despite Timonen making some great defensive plays sometimes and QB-ing the PP, he gets beat constantly. Schenn and Meszaros do an awful job at coverage in the D-zone. On paper, they're "deep" but they don't play like it.

The reason I said in my initial post that the Flyers are deep at defense is because they have 7 or 8 guys, none who are #1 defenseman, but who are serviceable. Guys who other teams would want to shore up their defense as a 4th, 5th, or 6th defenseman.

The reason I said in my initial post that the Flyers are deep at defense is because they have 7 or 8 guys, none who are #1 defenseman, but who are serviceable. Guys who other teams would want to shore up their defense as a 4th, 5th, or 6th defenseman.

fair enough, i guess they are pretty deep then

He'll find a way to get hurt again. However, they should look into the availability of Yakupov. The Flyers and Oilers have had discussions well before last year's draft about a defenseman-winger swap. They Flyers are deep at defense, even if no one is a #1, and its obvious Yakupov needs a change of scenery. The Flyers would probably have to throw in a near NHL ready prospect, but Meszaros and pretty much anyone but Laughton for Yakupov is a plausible deal. It also doesn't affect either team much salary cap wise. This will probably never happen though.

I would love Yakupov, but it's not really what we need right now. We're deep at defense, but they're all #3 or #4's and we need a #1. I heard Byfuglien is a possibility. Either way I would love Mesz gone and I would be happy with either Yak or Byfuglien. 

I don't care how bad Yaks season has been, he's not being dumped for Mezsaros and a prospect.

Eakins is a fucking goon and is running this team into the ground. He called out Yakupov for a goal in the Minnesota game that wasn't even his fault. This team has gone from bad to worse and it's sad to see a 20 year old kid who can hardly speak English being used as Eakins whipping boy while Gagner is fucking TERRIBLE in the D zone, and is constantly rewarded with PP time. Eakins is refusing to give Yak pp time and is calling him out publicly, and destroying his confidence.

As much as I will always love this team, and love Yakupov, he deserves a chance and if he's going to get shit on by the coach here, and every single Canadian analyst, because he's not a "good canadian boy" then he needs out. I don't want us ruining his career. They called him fucking "ENIGMATIC" on air.

I don't care how bad Yaks season has been, he's not being dumped for Mezsaros and a prospect.

Eakins is a fucking goon and is running this team into the ground. He called out Yakupov for a goal in the Minnesota game that wasn't even his fault. This team has gone from bad to worse and it's sad to see a 20 year old kid who can hardly speak English being used as Eakins whipping boy while Gagner is fucking TERRIBLE in the D zone, and is constantly rewarded with PP time. Eakins is refusing to give Yak pp time and is calling him out publicly, and destroying his confidence.

As much as I will always love this team, and love Yakupov, he deserves a chance and if he's going to get shit on by the coach here, and every single Canadian analyst, because he's not a "good canadian boy" then he needs out. I don't want us ruining his career. They called him fucking "ENIGMATIC" on air.

Isnt his +/- the worst on the team? The Rangers were rumored to trade for him. While he is incredibly skilled, I cant say Id like to take a chance with him

Isnt his +/- the worst on the team? The Rangers were rumored to trade for him. While he is incredibly skilled, I cant say Id like to take a chance with him

Hes -31. Worst in the league probably. I've probably watched 45/51 games. He's not good in the defensive zone, but -31 is misleading. He's more effective than Gagner. He's also playing on a team who's #1 D pairing should be a teams 3rd pairing. Our defense is HORRIBLE.

You seriously wouldn't take a chance on him?

I would love Yakupov, but it's not really what we need right now. We're deep at defense, but they're all #3 or #4's and we need a #1. I heard Byfuglien is a possibility. Either way I would love Mesz gone and I would be happy with either Yak or Byfuglien. 

when was there talk of byfuglien?

Hes -31. Worst in the league probably. I've probably watched 45/51 games. He's not good in the defensive zone, but -31 is misleading. He's more effective than Gagner. He's also playing on a team who's #1 D pairing should be a teams 3rd pairing. Our defense is HORRIBLE.

You seriously wouldn't take a chance on him?

I cant say I would. The problem with our team earlier in the season was that our forwards werent playing that great defensively in our zone. Now that they are and creating more turnovers we have been playing great. Also I dont know where Yak would fit in on our team. The lines have chemistry now. Maybe with Zucc on the 3rd line but Pouliot is more physical than Yak and I realllllly like his physical game now that he's been effective with it and scoring. While Yak obviously has more talent, I just see more negatives with his spot on our team.