What video games have you been playing?

"He later defended the DDoS takedown of PSN and Xbox Live by bringing up how gamers pay so much money for subscriptions to play online, only to have Microsoft and Sony fumble when it comes to maintaining these services while under attack by hijinks like those that are supposedly carried out by Lizard Squad."

http://kotaku.com/hackers-explain-why-they-supposedly-took-down-psn-and-x-1675448709

I hate to admit it, but they kind of have a point when it comes to charging for online multi-player. I don't really play online anyways so I don't buy XBL Gold. Why would I pay $60/year to get a yelled at by 14yr olds when I can come to VC and get that abuse for free? ;)

"He later defended the DDoS takedown of PSN and Xbox Live by bringing up how gamers pay so much money for subscriptions to play online, only to have Microsoft and Sony fumble when it comes to maintaining these services while under attack by hijinks like those that are supposedly carried out by Lizard Squad."

http://kotaku.com/hackers-explain-why-they-supposedly-took-down-psn-and-x-1675448709

I hate to admit it, but they kind of have a point when it comes to charging for online multi-player. I don't really play online anyways so I don't buy XBL Gold. Why would I pay $60/year to get a yelled at by 14yr olds when I can come to VC and get that abuse for free? ;)

I've only noticed that on games like GTA and COD. Which is why I don't play online for those games.

One thing that always has made me a little angry is how if you buy a game with Playstation Plus, you HAVE to have Playstation Plus in order to play it. I've always thought that was kinda shitty.

I was under the impression that discounted games you purchased while having Plus would still be available after your membership ends, games you got for free would not.

One thing that always has made me a little angry is how if you buy a game with Playstation Plus, you HAVE to have Playstation Plus in order to play it.  I've always thought that was kinda shitty.

You're not really buying it if it doesn't cost money and is part of your subscription.

Well, I guess what I mean is: take Outlast for example. I got my PS4 last year and it came with a free 3 months of PS+. I waited until Outlast was the free game of the month for PS+ users and so I used it then and downloaded it instead of paying the regular price of the game at $20. But then once my 3 months ended, I couldn't go back and play it anymore. I almost would have been better off paying the $20 and then I could play it no matter what.

One thing that always has made me a little angry is how if you buy a game with Playstation Plus, you HAVE to have Playstation Plus in order to play it. I've always thought that was kinda shitty.

IMO that makes sense. You bought it at a discounted price due to the membership. You cancel the membership why would you have access to it.

You can't go to a Planet Fitness after canceling your membership can you?

Then why even give me the option to buy it at full price? I'd completely understand if it was ONLY available to buy/play with PS+, but when I could've bought and played it whenever I wanted, that almost seems like it would've been the better option.

I know it almost seems like I'm complaining about when I can or can't play a "free" game, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around how all this makes sense.

Say I download 50 games or whatever with PS+, then all of a sudden I decide I don't really want PS+ anymore. Now I can't play any of those games anymore. Yeah it saved me sooo much money. But now I'm kinda thinking I should've just actually bought all of them so I could play them whenever I wanted without any worries.

Maybe I'm just stupid though, haha. I understand the "Planet Fitness" analogy, sure. I feel like what I'm trying to say is "hey Planet Fitness, I don't really want to use the majority of your stuff, but I really love your weights and benches, could I give you like... $10 to use them whenever I want?"

Of course they would say no if we're being realistic, but still. Just trying to get my point across haha.

Then why even give me the option to buy it at full price? I'd completely understand if it was ONLY available to buy/play with PS+, but when I could've bought and played it whenever I wanted, that almost seems like it would've been the better option.

I know it almost seems like I'm complaining about when I can or can't play a "free" game, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around how all this makes sense.

Say I download 50 games or whatever with PS+, then all of a sudden I decide I don't really want PS+ anymore. Now I can't play any of those games anymore. Yeah it saved me sooo much money. But now I'm kinda thinking I should've just actually bought all of them so I could play them whenever I wanted without any worries.

Maybe I'm just stupid though, haha. I understand the "Planet Fitness" analogy, sure. I feel like what I'm trying to say is "hey Planet Fitness, I don't really want to use the majority of your stuff, but I really love your weights and benches, could I give you like... $10 to use them whenever I want?"

Of course they would say no if we're being realistic, but still. Just trying to get my point across haha.

Nah man I totally get it. There was a few months that I didn't have/couldn't afford PS+ and I couldn't play NBA2K. It does suck. I went and grabbed the yearly pass so I don't have to worry about it for a bit.

What grinds my gears is that we are now paying for online gameplay but Sony is still getting slowed down or hacked

You got it for free with the service...can't you still just buy it for $20 and play it? I get that you already paid for the service...but you used it while paying for it.

It's like saying, "Hey, I know I leased this car, but now that my lease is up I'd like to keep using it without paying. Cool?"

(Don't lease cars.)

Or, another example: "Hey, thanks for the free gift for buying this ::insert item::. I'd like to return it now, but keep the gift."

I can see where you're coming from, but I get what they're doing.

You got it for free with the service...can't you still just buy it for $20 and play it? I get that you already paid for the service...but you used it while paying for it.

It's like saying, "Hey, I know I leased this car, but now that my lease is up I'd like to keep using it without paying. Cool?"

(Don't lease cars.)

Or, another example: "Hey, thanks for the free gift for buying this ::insert item::. I'd like to return it now, but keep the gift."

I can see where you're coming from, but I get what they're doing.

I haven't done it but can't you pay the rest of the price for the game to unlock the license if you no longer have PS+?

I was under the impression that discounted games you purchased while having Plus would still be available after your membership ends, games you got for free would not.

100% correct. If you purcahse a a game on PS+ at a discount price, as example the regular price is $20 but with PS+ you can buy it for $12. If your PS+ expires that game is still available to play. But if you get a free game they offer each month with PS+ and then stop paying, you lose access to that game.

Why PS3 is my console of choice.  Just got a bunch of new games, I'm good for probably the next half year.

So just buy it when your sub ends. Don't get what you're complaining about haha. You don't have to redownload anything you'll just buy the license.